• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#41 Harlow

Harlow

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 73 posts

Posted 02 May 2019 - 10:06 AM

As promised, although I little late, pictures. As I mentioned earlier I was concerned about my lc since the sugars had caramelized during sterilization, thankfully it seems to be going well for them. These were taken last night, 05-01-19. I have a flash light behind the lc to help show the growth, but it is still hard to see. I probably should have taken a picture during daylight hours. As for my grains, everyday there are increases in the rhizomorphic mycelium growth and in a few spots it appears the mycelium is really concentrating. I have not shaken the grains at all yet, not exactly sure when to, but feel I should wait a little longer. Edit: A couple of the pictures look blurry after posting. Not sure if they got resized and blurred when I uploaded them.

I have a couple questions for those who already do lc, or just know the answer. Should I be putting the lc in the fridge to slow the growth, or is it good at room temperatures? Also, how long is a lc usually good for before they eat up all the sugars? Thank you all!!

Grain_1.JPG Grain_2.JPG Grain_3.JPG Grain_4.JPG Grain_5.JPG Grain_6.JPG Grain_7.JPG LC_1.JPG LC_2.JPG

Edited by Harlow, 02 May 2019 - 10:19 AM.

#42 Harlow

Harlow

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 73 posts

Posted 02 May 2019 - 02:33 PM

Dang, my old post disappeared.  I know there is some work going on right now on the site, so hopefully this post sticks and y'all know I am still updating.  I guess I will wait a couple days and try posting again.

#43 Harlow

Harlow

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 73 posts

Posted 02 May 2019 - 02:33 PM

Dang, my old post disappeared.  I know there is some work going on right now on the site, so hopefully this post sticks and y'all know I am still updating.  I guess I will wait a couple days and try posting again.

#44 Harlow

Harlow

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 73 posts

Posted 13 May 2019 - 12:22 PM

-

Edited by Harlow, 13 May 2019 - 12:23 PM.

#45 Harlow

Harlow

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 73 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 10:02 PM

Hello all,

I am sorry if it seemed like I abandoned my log. As soon as the maintenance was over I had a couple things come up which prevented me from getting online, then as soon as those were over I had a water line break in my house. So I have been without running water for a few days, I been working on that and without water I couldn't really clean myself or anything else to do mushroom stuff. Sorry for seeming like I flaked out! Anyway, below are my updates. You all are awesome!!!

As this is my first time with working with grains and with growing Lion's Mane, I wasn't sure exactly when to shake the grains. What I ended up doing was shaking three of the four jars and leaving one unshaken. The unshaken jar was spawned (correct term?) to substrate several days ago. I am working on spawning the other three jars tonight. I honestly think I waited a little too long to do the last three, but without running water and the other things going on, I couldn't work on them.

Ratios:
Spawn to substrate 1:3.3
Oak pellets to water 1:1.5
Added a little bit of gypsum and a tiny calcium hydroxide into the water before pouring on the pellets

(05-04-19): Jars 2-4 were shaken. Jar 1 was left unshaken.

(05-10-19): Jar 1 (Unshaken jar)...Spawned to substrate. I maybe a little off on the date, I will update if possible.

(05-15-19 ) Jars 2-4 (Shaken jars). Tonight I am spawning the other three jars to substrate.

Pictures. (1-3) Unshaken jar before I spawned it on 05-10-19. (4-5) Unshaken jar's substrate bags as of tonight, 05-15-19. (6-8) Shaken jars as of tonight, 05-15-19. (9) Awesome buckets, they even say food safe and I think were slightly less expensive than big orange. (10) Pellet mix on 05-10-19.

Unshaken 1.JPG Unshaken 2.JPG Unshaken 3.JPG Unshaken Sub 1.JPG Unshaken Sub 2.JPG Shaken 1.JPG Shaken 2.JPG Shaken 3.JPG Buckets.JPG Oak pellet mix.JPG

Edited by Harlow, 15 May 2019 - 10:05 PM.

#46 Cuboid

Cuboid

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 574 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 06:03 PM

How are your bags doing now?

#47 levicah

levicah

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 47 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 07:11 PM

Just a communal update, my 8 maple totem logs are still covered by the paper leaf bags...I really thought the bags would have disintegrated by now. Its a good thing though, keeps em moist. I strapped a stack of cardboard egg crates to the tops and bottoms under the bags for a moisture reservoir. I also slit the bags all over to allow more rain water in. I did take a peek, the joints are fully colonized, fusing the sections together with no apparent competitor growths. When autumn sets in, I'll remove the bags and let nature take it's course. Each totem has 3 joints that should produce fruit all the way around each seam. For better or worse, I'll post pictures when I remove the bags. With outdoor cyan beds and indoor cubes going, this is way easy. I "stacked" 2 grams of lions mane extract with 26 grams (fresh) of my first B+cubes...I do believe the clarity of thought was profound despite a pretty strong peak. Got a nice rosey afterglow going today, very upbeat. I intend to start micro dosing the two every other day or maybe less. If I find that I am more up beat, productive and creative, I will probably start a new thread. I am very optimistic at this point. Peace.

• Cuboid likes this

#48 Harlow

Harlow

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 73 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 11:53 AM

Hey all,

Sorry I have been very absent.  My girlfriend had a fairly major injury and she can't really walk right now.  She will fully recover but that has been taking much of my time.  Also, I thought I was all cool and earth loving by letting wild grasses grow in my few acres, turns out they are the devil's grass.  They have been embedding themselves in my dogs paws and fur...so I have been trying to clean up parts of my yard and build a small fenced area, while picking those things out of my dog so she doesn't get major abscesses and infections.  Then I also had a couple house related repairs which came up at the same time.  It's all okay, I'm happy and blessed to have all these things in my life, I have just been a little stressed and super tired recently.

Anyway, update on my bags.  I think the cold weather was really stunting the growth, as it has been warming up I have finally been seeing some good growth.  As a quick recall I have two rounds of bags...the first round was three bags which I never shook the grains, and the second round was the shaken grains.  The non-shaken grains grew faster and I moved them to substrate earlier that the shaken grains, but at this point everything is moved to substrate, again just growing very slowly until the recent warm up.

Unshaken grains:  One of the three bags trich'ed out, but the other two fully colonized. I think it was Monday, 05-27-19, I poked a hole in each bag.  This last Monday 06-10-19 I started to see the fruits really were growing and I took some pictures.  They have been growing steadily and today, 06-13-19, I took a couple other pictures.  I used a Carmex lip balm container for size comparison for the fruit bodies.  I will take some more and better pictures when they grow more, and I will be moving them to a better container.

Shaken grains:  Up until recently the shaken grains substrate only showed white growth directly around where the grains were mixed in, but I didn’t see much growth.  Just this morning, 06-13-19, it really looks like the mycelium is starting to cover the substrate.  I will have some pictures of those coming this weekend, but if you look at the bags in the background of the ones with fruits, those are the "unshaken" bags, looking pretty white!!  I need to move them to a larger container now that is looks like they are growing and healthy.

1st 06-10.JPG 2nd 06-10.JPG 1st 06-13.JPG 2nd 06-13.JPG

Edited by Harlow, 13 June 2019 - 11:59 AM.

• levicah likes this

#49 Harlow

Harlow

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 73 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 09:50 PM

Alright, these little guys are growing pretty well.  As of 06-16-19:  I have moved all the bags to a larger tub, so they have enough room and are not stacked on each other at all.  I have also pocked holes in all the bags.  Below are some pictures I took 06-16-19 in the morning.  I couldn't find my girlfriends Carmex for another size comparison, but they are more-or-less four times as large.  One of them has also is starting to develop the more of a texture, rather than the tumor looking bulbs...lol don't know how else to describe what they looked like.

1st 06-16-19.JPG 2nd 06-16-19.JPG

#50 Cuboid

Cuboid

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 574 posts

Posted 30 June 2019 - 05:33 PM

Mine look rather similar, pink cauli flower, not progressing to elongating teeth stage. I assume its that the air exchange/temperature/humidity is not optimum. I don't know his to correct it though ... A more controlled fruiting chamber would probably help. I'm just using a big tub, misting the walls inside it, leaving the lid slightly ajar.

IMG_20190629_192530_crop_18.jpg

Edited by Cuboid, 30 June 2019 - 05:39 PM.

• Harlow likes this

#51 Harlow

Harlow

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 73 posts

Posted 05 July 2019 - 09:43 AM

Hey Cubiod,

I have more fruiting, and mine are doing exactly as you are describing...and I assume it is for the same reasons.  I also don't know when to pick these guys since they look different.  Maybe one of the LM experts will happen across this thread and throw a bit of knowledge our way.  I think I need to come up with a better fruiting chamber with better air exchange.  A couple weeks ago I put a little tub full of water into my fruiting chamber, and last week I added a couple little jars with water in also.  I think it is really helping as there is slight condensation on walls and lid now.

I have some updated pictures from this morning.  My first two bags which started early are really growing up and my other bags are growing well also.  It was last week when I first noticed fruits growing and they are just exploding with growth this week.  I think the increasing temperature over the last few weeks is better for them, I am just seeing so much better growth rates.  It's actually gone from cool to HOT within the last month, but my trusty swamp cooler keeps me cool enough :)

Attached Thumbnails

• 07-05_1.JPG
  • 07-05_2.JPG
  • 07-05_3.JPG
  • 07-05_4.JPG
  • 07-05_5.JPG

Edited by Harlow, 05 July 2019 - 09:52 AM.

• Cuboid and ItBeBasidia like this

#52 Harlow

Harlow

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 73 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 01:36 PM

So yesterday (07-07-19) I noticed some gnats on a few of the more developed fruits. My fruiting chamber has a couple very tiny holes which were not covered, the little buggers must have gotten in there. This spring was atypically wet, compared to normal for this area, and the bugs have been a little worse. I covered the holes in transpore tape and was able to get some of the gnats out, but other gnats were still crawling inside the little gaps in the mushrooms, so I decided to harvest. It may be a little early, but better to harvest now vs. after they have dined on my more mature fruits. I am in the process of drying most of them, but sauteed a couple slices in salted butter. Oh man were they good!

Picked_1.PNG Picked_2.PNG

Edited by Harlow, 08 July 2019 - 01:43 PM.

• Cuboid likes this

#53 Cuboid

Cuboid

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 574 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 02:38 PM

Good to hear the fruits are good eating regardless of looking a bit weird. I should probably harvest mine now. They just gradually getting bigger but no sign of elongating spiky bits.
  • Harlow likes this

#54 Harlow

Harlow

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 73 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 05:16 PM

Good to hear yours are still growing strong!  I still wonder if this is an air exchange thing.  I jumped over to Fresh Cap Mushrooms and posted the question to Tony there, that site is a decent source of info on edible mushrooms.  My post is still being moderated, but once approved it would be cool if he responded with any info on it.  The link below is to the Lion's Mane grow article they have.

https://freshcapmush...-mane-mushroom/

#55 Cuboid

Cuboid

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 574 posts

Posted 09 July 2019 - 01:56 AM

From that link ^^^^

"Fruit Development:
Temperatures between 15-20 deg C. Humidity at 90%. Ensure not to spray fruits directly when misting. Fresh air requirements are relatively low."

I've been a few degrees higher on average the last few weeks and I've tries to keep the walls of my fc misted. Sometimes only get to it once a day though and it's dried out. Think I'd better set up the ultrasound fogger I bought but haven't uses yet.

#56 Harlow

Harlow

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 73 posts

Posted 09 July 2019 - 10:21 AM

AH!  So what you posted made me go back and read the article again, I noticed two things.

1. I read on Fresh cap that Lion's Mane need much more fresh air exchange than other mushrooms.

2. Someone actually posted a question regarding to the same exact results you and I are getting.  I will post the question and answer below.  So it sounds like I need to work on air and humidity.  I may have to get something to pump fresh humid air in there.  I have an idea, will post it if I get it working.

**************************************************************************************

Hi there! Growing lions mane and all is going very well so far, except that my spines aren’t elongating the way they should.the spines are growing, but aren’t drooping.they just stand straight up all over the place. They’ve been fruiting now for about 2.5 weeks, and I’m just not sure if that’s normal, or are they lacking something they might need? 23 degrees and about 80 to 85 percent humidity, spraying the chamber about 3x/day in a fine mist.any advice would help a lot! Thanks
Joe

Hey Joe!

My guess would be that you don’t have enough FAE (fresh air exchange). Try getting more air into your chamber while keeping the humidity up.

• Cuboid likes this

#57 Cuboid

Cuboid

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 574 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 04:31 PM

Harvested mine last weekend. About 1lb of fruit. Very very rubbery and tough :(
Even trying to cut using a sharp knife they just crushed. I figured I'd only salvage it by drying and powdering to use in capsules as a supplement. Tore them up into small pieces and spread out in front of a fan for 48hrs. Powdered in small blender. 50grams dry final product. Annoyingly it got contaminated by plastic bits from inside the blender. Apparently the LM was so tough and abrasive it ate into the blender :(

Bags now in fridge to pause them whilst I sort out a better fruiting chamber.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!