• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 DaveyJonez

DaveyJonez

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 205 posts

Posted 05 April 2019 - 11:56 AM

I have about 4 qts of colonized grain and a 56qt tub. I already know the process, i would just like opinions on what would be the best substrate ratios selecting from the materials below:

Cow manure compost

Earthworm castings

Straw 

vermiculite (pro grade)

Coco coir 

Gypsum

Hydrated lime

#2 el_ronhub_bird

el_ronhub_bird

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 157 posts

Posted 05 April 2019 - 12:46 PM

16 qrts of straw would be your best bet. You could put a little gypsum in the water when you pasteurize it

#3 DaveyJonez

DaveyJonez

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 205 posts

Posted 05 April 2019 - 01:35 PM

16 qrts of straw would be your best bet. You could put a little gypsum in the water when you pasteurize it

Only straw? For cubes?

#4 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 2,050 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 April 2019 - 03:01 PM

Aren't you pretty new to this?

My very first suggestion would be multiple smaller tubs.

If you continue with one tub, you want enough total volume to get to 2 to 3 inches of substrate. Calculate that, or share the length and width and we guess pretty close.

I'd also suggest sticking to a simple substrate to start with.

Simplest, coir/verm 75:25

Do you have a ph tester or test strips? If you do, then add lime to your hydration water, get it to 8.0 or a little above. If you can't test ph, skip the lime. You don't need gypsum.

Straw and poo I'd skip if this is your first grow. Adding either really boosts the need for good pastuerization. Straight coir/verm doesn't give af, pastuerize, sterilize, deep fry, whatever it will work.
  • DaveyJonez and LegoMyego like this

#5 DaveyJonez

DaveyJonez

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 205 posts

Posted 05 April 2019 - 04:04 PM

Aren't you pretty new to this?

My very first suggestion would be multiple smaller tubs.

If you continue with one tub, you want enough total volume to get to 2 to 3 inches of substrate. Calculate that, or share the length and width and we guess pretty close.

I'd also suggest sticking to a simple substrate to start with.

Simplest, coir/verm 75:25

Do you have a ph tester or test strips? If you do, then add lime to your hydration water, get it to 8.0 or a little above. If you can't test ph, skip the lime. You don't need gypsum.

Straw and poo I'd skip if this is your first grow. Adding either really boosts the need for good pastuerization. Straight coir/verm doesn't give af, pastuerize, sterilize, deep fry, whatever it will work.

yes i am pretty new to this, say i wanted to take a chance with poo, would putting it in qt jars and boiling them with a meat thermom in one of them and keep it at 150 F do the  trick? and if so how long? Also is it even that helpful to have poo?

#6 DaveyJonez

DaveyJonez

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 205 posts

Posted 05 April 2019 - 04:05 PM

oh and the width and length is 12 and 24

#7 el_ronhub_bird

el_ronhub_bird

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 157 posts

Posted 05 April 2019 - 04:28 PM

I've never used cow manure or worm castings (besides botanically) and wouldn't recommend them to a new grower. When I do monos I aim at 25-30% substrate by volume. I know most people do a little less than that but this ratio has always worked for me
  • DaveyJonez likes this

#8 DaveyJonez

DaveyJonez

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 205 posts

Posted 05 April 2019 - 04:43 PM

I've never used cow manure or worm castings (besides botanically) and wouldn't recommend them to a new grower. When I do monos I aim at 25-30% substrate by volume. I know most people do a little less than that but this ratio has always worked for me

Oh lol I used castings coir and verm for sub to spawn grain in a tray and It worked fast and clean.. I thought poop of some sort was common

#9 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 2,050 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 April 2019 - 05:10 PM

You're gonna need 10 to 12 quarts of substrate that should put you in the 3 inch depth range and still be a fairly high spawn rate.

I would use a brick of coir, 2 quarts verm, that should give you about 10 quarts hydrated.

If you're going to add poo, I'd use the above, plus 2 quarts of the poo.

Anyway you can get it to 150 for 3 or 4 hours is good.
  • bezevo and DaveyJonez like this

#10 DaveyJonez

DaveyJonez

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 205 posts

Posted 05 April 2019 - 06:06 PM

You're gonna need 10 to 12 quarts of substrate that should put you in the 3 inch depth range and still be a fairly high spawn rate.

I would use a brick of coir, 2 quarts verm, that should give you about 10 quarts hydrated.

If you're going to add poo, I'd use the above, plus 2 quarts of the poo.

Anyway you can get it to 150 for 3 or 4 hours is good.

Awesome thanks for the help.. I will start the process this weekend! Woot Woot!

#11 peacefrog

peacefrog

Peaceful Frog

• 2,170 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 April 2019 - 05:09 AM

Only straw? For cubes?

Yep you most definitely can, as I have used it MANY times with great success. But as said above, straw can be a bit tricky if not treated correctly. It was my first true “bulk substrate” and I f$&&ed it up more times than I would bother mentioning lol. But once you get the hang of it, straw is an awesome sub IMO. And yes for cubes too.

I would do as said above for your first round at this. Coir is MUCH more forgiving. And many veterans still use it exclusively as their bulk of chose.

Good luck and keep us posted.
  • DaveyJonez likes this

#12 DaveyJonez

DaveyJonez

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 205 posts

Posted 07 April 2019 - 07:10 PM

Are these holes sufficient?
8 on top, 8 on each long side, and 6 on each short sideff44ba7fb9772960fa544d4b1dddc52e.jpgde57016dc913c8c9e84cd4c349cc44ae.jpg

#13 el_ronhub_bird

el_ronhub_bird

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 157 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 02:34 PM

Not to toot my own horn (well maybe a little) but I've never had a problem with straw being finicky. I would recommend any noob to familiarize yourself with straw for bulk substrate. It is hands down the cheapest, easist to procure, easiest to process, easiest to pasteurize. It doesn't yield as much as horse poo, but that is easily made up for by the ease of processing the substrate compared to poo

#14 el_ronhub_bird

el_ronhub_bird

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 157 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 02:40 PM

Get yourself one of these from the dollar store, stuff it with straw and pasteurize away

Attached Thumbnails

• 20190410_153642.jpg

• DaveyJonez likes this

#15 DaveyJonez

DaveyJonez

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 205 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 03:11 PM

Get yourself one of these from the dollar store, stuff it with straw and pasteurize away

How do you pasteurize with that? I only know the boiling qt jars method

#16 el_ronhub_bird

el_ronhub_bird

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 157 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 07:21 PM

I start by cranking my hot water heater up all the way. It comes out at 140 degrees Fahrenheit. Be very careful not to burn yourself, this water can seriously injure you. I also keep 2 large pots of water on high on the stove. Pasteurization temps are maintained between 140-160 degrees by adding hotter water (from the pots on the stove and replenish these as you go) to the 140 degree tap water. Temps are maintained for 90 minutes before draining the straw. The straw is packed into a laundry basket such as the one shown above. The straw is submerged in the 100 quart bin shown (I double mine up for this procedure.) The straw will want to float so you have to weigh it down with a cinder block or some big rocks. Pasteurization bath can be amended with gypsum or hydrated lime. I think I covered everything. Lemme know if you have any questions

Attached Thumbnails

• 20190410_200139.jpg
  • 20190410_200113.jpg

• DaveyJonez and picapau like this

#17 DaveyJonez

DaveyJonez

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 205 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 07:28 PM

I start by cranking my hot water heater up all the way. It comes out at 140 degrees Fahrenheit. Be very careful not to burn yourself, this water can seriously injure you. I also keep 2 large pots of water on high on the stove. Pasteurization temps are maintained between 140-160 degrees by adding hotter water (from the pots on the stove and replenish these as you go) to the 140 degree tap water. Temps are maintained for 90 minutes before draining the straw. The straw is packed into a laundry basket such as the one shown above. The straw is submerged in the 100 quart bin shown (I double mine up for this procedure.) The straw will want to float so you have to weigh it down with a cinder block or some big rocks. Pasteurization bath can be amended with gypsum or hydrated lime. I think I covered everything. Lemme know if you have any questions

Definitely going to try this next time.. Thanks for the info

#18 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 5,923 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 April 2019 - 08:10 PM

Here's a cheat sheet! just replace with straw. The longer the pasteurization time the better as it will help break down the nutrients as it cooks. Literally making the straw perform more like hpoo. https://mycotopia.ne...pasteurization/

• DaveyJonez and picapau like this

#19 DaveyJonez

DaveyJonez

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 205 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 08:32 PM

Here's a cheat sheet! just replace with straw. The longer the pasteurization time the better as it will help break down the nutrients as it cooks. Literally making the straw perform more like hpoo. https://mycotopia.ne...pasteurization/

Wow what a write up.. I'll be reading through that tomorrow morning.. Thanks for the link

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!