• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#61 Dimitri2teachme

Dimitri2teachme

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 70 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 03:32 PM

Straight coir can work, coir with verm fluffs better. Use I use at least 20 percent. I like the lower holes near substrate level. GE/FAE at substrate level encourages pinning.

If i see some verm I suppose i will grab some. I just scored a new job so why not?

Did you mean 20% spawn to 80% sub? Or verm to coir?

#62 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 03:48 PM

I'm pretty sure he meant 80/20 coir/verm, usually spawn/sub ratios are typed out like this- 1:2 spawn/sub(1 part spawn to 2 parts sub) but some people use a 1:4 sp/sub ratio.

Edited by Billcoz, 14 April 2019 - 03:48 PM.

#63 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 2,050 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 April 2019 - 07:17 PM

20 percent vermiculite as a substrate component
  • Billcoz and Dimitri2teachme like this

#64 Dimitri2teachme

Dimitri2teachme

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 70 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 11:34 PM

Just wanted to double check, so I did not make a silly mistake. Thank you!

The Agar dishes I had going, well, trying to save them.. They filled with a clear, nasty bacteria (i think it was bacteria) that smelled like new born baby diapers. It was no good, terrible, bad, awful, and pungent in all the above categories haha.

I think just inhaling the dish to sniff it made me sick, because I woke up the next morning, and BOOM sinus and lung infection. Maybe I'm paranoid, maybe it's coincidence. The syncronicity is definitely odd.

Would it be smart to wear a surgical mask for examining contam??

Edited by Dimitri2teachme, 15 April 2019 - 11:35 PM.

#65 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 2,050 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 April 2019 - 12:02 AM

I've never sniffed an agar plate. Not sure I would reccomends it. You should be able to recognize mycelium and transfer. Or at least potential mycelium.

#66 Dimitri2teachme

Dimitri2teachme

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 70 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 07:32 AM

I've never sniffed an agar plate. Not sure I would reccomends it. You should be able to recognize mycelium and transfer. Or at least potential mycelium.

This was definitely something muuuuch different, slimy, not woven in appearance like mycelium.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!