5 replies to this topic

#1 OldNef

OldNef

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 12 posts

Posted 07 April 2019 - 08:15 AM

Hello all

Just wanted to run a few pics past you guys and hopefully get the opinion that all is well and as expected at this stage

I am completely new to mycology, but have done a lot of reading, for all the good it'll probably do... lol

so I have some cakes going, they were put in fruiting conditions 5 days ago or so after a 20 hour dunk and a roll in verm. Variety is PF Classic

DSC06004.JPG DSC06005.JPG

At the same time I have a shoebox I guess you would say, spawned a week ago using 7 cakes of same variety, to about 4.5 quarts CVG

DSC06012.JPG DSC06013.JPG DSC06015.JPG

don't wanna get into the minute details or explain too much, but does everything look alright to the more trained eyes of you oldtimers to the hobby?

all input welcome and appreciated

thank you

have a nice Sunday all

• coorsmikey, peacefrog, MsBehavin420 and 1 other like this

#2 roc

roc

Forum International Moderator

• 7,607 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 April 2019 - 09:26 AM

You sir have a great looking start to a good grow!

I would be moving those pretty cakes to a bed of straight perlite.
That peat, soil, whatever it is can be problematic for contams loaded up with moisture.

Creative thinking but I would get rid of it.

Carry on grasshopper!

• coorsmikey, Billcoz and OldNef like this

#3 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 6,037 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 April 2019 - 10:19 AM

I agree with Roc, The soil may be just an invitation for contamination competitors. There is tons of fresh air that our wet potted plants see and that's how we can see soil in that situation stay wet without mold for so long. It's a good "make do with what you have available" idea though and could very possibly do the trick for what you're trying to accomplish. Heck, the mycelium may even start growing into the soil taking in more water and nutrients if you're lucky.

Overall, things are looking good for your grow. For the shoebox, I would suggest avoiding too much TLC, I would bet you lunch that if you put the lid back on and left it alone, in about 10 days you would see a constellation of white dots appear. Save the TLC for the cakes. They will enjoy the misting, fanning and checking in on them every moment you get to see if anything has changed.

• roc, Billcoz and OldNef like this

#4 peacefrog

peacefrog

Peaceful Frog

• 2,216 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 April 2019 - 11:14 AM

Good luck with the pf classic. That was hands down my favorite cube variety back when.

Good vibes thrown your way.
  • OldNef likes this

#5 OldNef

OldNef

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 12 posts

Posted 07 April 2019 - 12:04 PM

Thanks guys

So confusing to even know what I am looking at half the time

The stuff in the cake boxes is just coir with a bit of perlite in it... yep, I just used what I had around, see if maybe we can change it up

I will leave the shoebox alone... no peeking! :ph34r: lol

Cheers for keeping me right

#6 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 07 April 2019 - 12:21 PM

Those all look very nice, but as the other guys were saying, you might want to change the soil under the cakes to straight perlite before too long as it seems like an invitation for contaminants, but otherwise everything looks great.

• OldNef likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!