Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

Black Thready Fungus growing on Shitake log...what is it?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 GFM

GFM

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 43 posts

Posted 07 April 2019 - 10:09 AM

Hello Everyone!  I trust this post finds each of you well.  :smile:

I have not been on Mycotopia since last year. I have been waiting for all of my then-newly-innoculated logs to fruit.  So far, only the Turkey Tail have appeared. 

I soaked my shitake logs this week for the first time, (8 months after innoculation), but this only produced one shitake along with a very strange black, stringy organism (below) that resembles a lion's mane, but is the wrong color. I hope someone can help me to identify it.

I have also posted a photo of my lone shitake.  I am wondering if it is not actually that since none of the wild animals around here have bothered to eat it, even when I left it with other sorts of food and seed, all of which was gobbled up.  If someone thinks this is NOT a shitake, please say so.

But, it is really the black thready thing I am most interested in identifying.  Thank you for your assistance. I hope that everyone is healthy and having fun!  Best wishes!

black thread fungus.jpg

shitake.jpg

Edited by GFM, 07 April 2019 - 10:12 AM.

#2 solidago

solidago

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 11 posts

Posted 30 October 2020 - 11:08 PM

It's been some time now, are ya still wonderin' what it is? Looks like a Stemonitis slime mold, perhaps S. splendens, aka chocolate tube slime. Would be super cool if one could dry, grind, and brew it into a hot chocolate drink. But doing so would be a disappointment, even in 2020.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!