Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

ALL COMMUNITY OUTDOOR MUSHROOMS GROWERS THREAD JOIN IN !

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#1 bezevo

bezevo

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 708 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 April 2019 - 02:26 PM

ALL COMMUNITY OUTDOOR MUSHROOMS GROWERS THREAD JOIN IN !

Hey Myco Friends i thought i would start a thread on outdoor mushroom growing .............so here it is Weeeeee... !

Here on this thread  you can share Your OUTDOOR Mushroom Grows !

Whether it's Actives.... Cubes.... ,Exotics... , Cubes ,,,, Wood Lovers,,,, Edibles ..., Medicinal s...

or Novelty  mushrooms

TIPS ,TRICKS , TEK , Thrifty  supply deals  and so on

.WOW ! THAT'S A MOUTHFUL !

So share your GROWS interesting  info ,others teks ,. OR Questions .

I am in a Temperate Zone with harsh natural climate swings .zone 5a .

So please when you post your out door info mention your climate zone .

Many tasty wild and medicinal  mushrooms grow here In my zone and many grow there own ..

As far as i know  No Actives grow here ...............?

Soon i plan on trying a few OUT DOOR Edibles and Medicinal s  Maybe grown on Straw Bales  ? ?

MORE TO COME ! PLEASE CHIME IN AND SHARE !

please if you find some good older mycotopia threads to out door  cube or  wood lover tek/threads please link them to this thread .

THANKS !

BEZ !

Edited by bezevo, 07 April 2019 - 07:29 PM.

• Coopdog, Microbe, LegoMyego and 1 other like this

#2 bezevo

bezevo

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 708 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 April 2019 - 05:40 PM

heres my idea

FOR THIS SPRING

i have often grown salad greens and herbs on bales of straw ,i take the wheat straw  bales /not hay

Here's what i have doone in past ..  i soaked straw  bale  good then add a cpl inches of organic garden soil on top and plant my veggies ,herds ect  . This year i thought i would combine edible mushrooms  . now some mushrooms inhibit veggies and some form a symbiotic relation ship , after a bit of reading i see that mushrooms like most oysters/Pleurotus inhibit veggies while lets say

Butter scotch Pholiota NAMEKO Mushroom form a symbiotic relationship with veggies  as do (Elm Oyster (Hypsizygus ulmarius))

So i thought this spring i would inoculate each straw bale with a different edible mushroom spawn and then add my soil and veggies on top ... so mushrooms grow out sides and veggies on top  per haps some mushrooms will fruit threw soil . ..................well thats the idea .   Whats YOUR IDEAS   ?

FOR THIS SUMMER I ORDERED SOME WARM WEATHER Shiitake dowels to  inoculate few logs 

i have an abundance  of oak chips  scraps so maybe a few cheapo laundry baskets of warm weather oysters ,

AND FOR THIS FALL 

here is a link for some fall ideas

https://www.mnn.com/...the-fall-garden

Edited by bezevo, 07 April 2019 - 07:41 PM.

• Boebs, Billcoz and RutgerHauer like this

#3 bezevo

bezevo

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 708 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 April 2019 - 08:48 PM

ACTIVES  Hummmmm  ? Sounds Fun !

i have no experience growing actives  Outdoors . but very interested .

If you have a project or  some good info chime in and share Also past threads on topia for  cubes ,pans/hoogs/erotics  , azures other wood lovers . outdoors !

share your knowledge please

Here are some links to simple  tutorials .

CUBES  OUTDOORS

http://en.psilosophy...e_cubensis.html

AZURES OUTDOORS

http://en.psilosophy...azurescens.html

HERE IS A PDF BOOK ON GROWING CHAPTER 13 IS about out door growing and has some interesting info

http://www.permabox....ation.223.p.pdf

http://www.magic-mus...-azurescens.pdf

Edited by bezevo, 07 April 2019 - 11:50 PM.

• Billcoz likes this

#4 Coopdog

Coopdog

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,683 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 April 2019 - 10:22 PM

I have high hopes to be an active member of this group. I received a syringe of Azurescens Liquid Culture and a small piece of agar with the same mycellium on it, and last weekend I nocced up three jars of red and yellow popcorn, and a big ziplock baggie full of corn as well. The mycellium is now showing up and hopefully this will all take off with no issues. When it is ready I plan on buying a good quantity of Alder chips and making a nice deep bed of chips, cardboard and cottonwood branches layered in there too. That's the plan anyhow... Growing mushrooms in my current location is challenging to say the least, so I am hoping to have more luck with a strain indiginous to this area and done outdoors. 

• bezevo and Mushinist like this

#5 bezevo

bezevo

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 708 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 April 2019 - 10:56 PM

hey CoopDog GOOD LUCK  and  thanks for post

so what climate zone are you in i am in zone 5a  .. our normal climate goes  from occasional -2of  to  short periods of 110f  it averages 8ff to  95 f in summer  very humid . 

whats your climate like ?

you might want to make wood chipcard board egg carton  spawn in totes  to inoculate  your beds with so no rodents  will dig them up searching for grain ..this is a guess as i haven't done this

Edited by bezevo, 07 April 2019 - 11:00 PM.

• Coopdog and Billcoz like this

#6 Mushinist

Mushinist

Mycophage

• Black VIP
  • 174 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 April 2019 - 11:12 PM

I'll join in as well. I'll be doing some wood lovers (Azures and wavy caps), I'm in Kentucky, I think that's 6b. Im using waylit Jim's recipe for wood spawn with a few changes. Once colonized I'll spread them in outdoor beds in a layered fashion like what's seen in the first few pages of the communal woodlover grow.

Thanks bezevo for starting the topic, it'll be fun to participate, as well as seeing what everyone comes up with!
  • Coopdog, bezevo, Billcoz and 1 other like this

#7 bezevo

bezevo

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 708 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 April 2019 - 11:26 PM

cool  Mushinist thanks for joining in looking forward to your progress .

looking forward to your info on how you make your spawn and prep your outdoor beds .

your welcome to link to waylit Jim's stuff also if you think its relevant .

thanks bez

i added an older PDF book link on my  3rd post

Edited by bezevo, 07 April 2019 - 11:28 PM.

#8 Furthur1

Furthur1

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 398 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 12:28 AM

this is an exciting threaad, i will get back more once this virus is taken care of. dang people

Edited by Furthur1, 08 April 2019 - 12:29 AM.

• Coopdog and bezevo like this

#9 levicah

levicah

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 57 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 12:35 AM

Hi everyone! yeah this is the thread to grow with! Thanks Bezevo!

It's late here so I just wanted to say hi... outdoor growing suites me because I have not successfully fruited woodland actives indoors...YET!  I'm about to give up on my last 5lb bag of P Cyan. and give it to the great outdoors. I will post more as time allows. 

• Coopdog and bezevo like this

#10 Coopdog

Coopdog

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,683 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 April 2019 - 12:36 AM

I am in Washington state in the Southern Puget Sound region, now sure what zone that might be. Temperate rain forest here most of the year, with occasional lows in the teens and nothing higher than the 80's most of the time. Most of the winter here is rainy and 45-55 degrees. Very wet and high humidity here most of the year. We get a few months of summer, but usually pretty moderate all the way around. Looks like zone 10 to 15 on the map I googled. Really temperate here because of the convergence zone I live near. 

#11 Coopdog

Coopdog

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,683 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 April 2019 - 12:38 AM

Yes sir Mushinist, that is what I am going for as well, the layered outdoor bed will be my own plan of attack

• bezevo and Mushinist like this

#12 bezevo

bezevo

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 708 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 April 2019 - 12:59 AM

hey Furthur1 and levicah

thanks for responding looking forward to hearing about your out door grows and knowledge

coopdog your in perfect wood lovers climate

i bet you could grow some nice fig trees there

Edited by bezevo, 08 April 2019 - 01:35 AM.

• Coopdog and Furthur1 like this

#13 Coopdog

Coopdog

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,683 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 April 2019 - 01:42 AM

Figs huh? I will look into that!

• bezevo likes this

#14 bezevo

bezevo

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 708 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 April 2019 - 01:49 AM

i used to grow figs in pots took to cool dark room for winter out side summers ,, like i do with big cactus  , i got figs but after 6 yrs i killed them

there good out doors as log as it dosn't freeze for more then short time

#15 Bobotrank

Bobotrank

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 95 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 02:00 AM

Well hello. I’m in zone 6, and will fill you all in on my OD projects after I get some sleep. I’ll sound smarter that way. Or maybe just less stupid?
  • bezevo likes this

#16 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,478 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 05:32 AM

Cool, thanks for the links bezevo. I've been putting my subs out side after a couple flushes in my garden compost pile since last fall and I'm planning on making it a proper outdoor patch of cubes. I have some spawn that I need to expand with a g2g and I will dedicate some to the outdoor patch. I have no idea about how to, or if it's even possible to grow cubes in Michigan, but I don't see why some wouldn't pop up. It's just now getting into 60sF during the day, 40s at night, so it needs to warm up a bit. I'll have to read up on OD cubes and cubes in Mich, I'll post my progress and results.

• bezevo likes this

#17 bezevo

bezevo

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 708 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 April 2019 - 12:53 PM

hi bill  thanks for  posting .   . i have no experience with out door cubes  but i  think the temps you mention are with inn  natural temps for wild cube myciliun to survive but the domesticated cubes might be more sensitive.   .

fr bigger bed you might want to establish a manure or cardboard spawn . before you go outside to ovoid a lot of grains in your bed to keep rodents and other critters from digging in it  for the grain....just a guess .

good luck bill  looking forward to your posts on your out  door grows

bez

• Billcoz likes this

#18 Mushinist

Mushinist

Mycophage

• Black VIP
  • 174 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 April 2019 - 01:16 PM

your welcome to link to waylit Jim's stuff also if you think its relevant .

Thanks bezevo, and I think I will add it just for a quick link for anyone wanting to go this route. I'll add that Waylits exotic roundup thread is a great guide that everyone should look through!

https://mycotopia.ne...ubstrate-spawn/

I changed the ratios a bit and added a couple ingredients that aren't in the original recipe. It still works fine as you'll see in a couple pics here soon. I used

5 quarts of hickory chips
2 quarts of poplar shavings
1/2 quart hardwood fuel pellets
1.5 quarts of cactus soil
1 cup of rye grass seed

I soaked the first 3 ingredients for a day and a half in a 5 gallon bucket with regular tap water. I drained the bucket for 5 minutes or so, yes there will be a little water still left in there (my whole reason for omitting the water from the recipe), but don't worry the cactus soil and grass seed will absorb this extra water once they are added and stirred up well. I load into filter patch bags @ roughly 3lbs ea. and PC for 1.5 hrs.
This made 4 bags, I used half of a grain spawn jar per bag (grain was wheat berries).
The Azures are a week ahead of the wavy caps and are already almost fully colonized, once the wavys take hold I'm sure they will do the same thing. I can say that once spawned to the wood sub it really woke the myc up!

Attached Thumbnails

• 20190408_134636.jpg
  • 20190408_134506.jpg

• Coopdog and aqudoc like this

#19 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,759 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 April 2019 - 01:34 PM

Lots of good ideas for outdoor woodlovers like azures, cyans etc ...a long read but some gold in there:

https://mycotopia.ne...lover-grow-log/

• coorsmikey, Coopdog and bezevo like this

#20 bezevo

bezevo

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 708 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 April 2019 - 02:17 PM

hyphenation thanks for the link ! 

Arathu the member that started  the community wood lovers  log has no logged on for like 10 months ,anyone in touch with him ? was wondering if if he was ok as he had dental surgery right before he stopped logging on .

please all feel free to post relevant links .

ok again thanks hyphenation

speaking of links to good archived innfo here is a link

TOPIC...  PESTS ....YOU  MIGHT ENCOUNTER  ON YOUR OUT  DOOR MUSHROOM GROWS

https://mycotopia.ne...mushroom-pests/

Edited by bezevo, 08 April 2019 - 02:41 PM.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!