Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

ALL COMMUNITY OUTDOOR MUSHROOMS GROWERS THREAD JOIN IN !

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#21 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,478 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 05:04 PM

Yeah rodents would be an issue where I'm at, my yard is full of ground squirrel and mole trails, so I will have to figure some way to keep em out. Thanks for all the links guys.

#22 Coopdog

Coopdog

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,683 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 April 2019 - 01:53 AM

I have not seen Arathu around for a LONG time. It sucks when people just fall off the radar. I promise you all if anything ever happens to me, my wife has access to all my accounts and can at least let you all know what happened. Hate to lose long term friends with no word or hint about why. 

• coorsmikey, Juthro, bezevo and 2 others like this

#23 bezevo

bezevo

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 708 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 April 2019 - 11:29 AM

HEY BILL i think  you best bet is to get some sorta spawn going with minimal grain like card board and poo , Diatomaceous earth for pest like slugs . maybe scarecrow like a plast ic owl for squirrels..  others chim in with your pest deterrence ideas  .

HEY HERE'S A AN OLD LINK TO AN OUTDOOR BED IDEA

For Cubes

i am interested in out door cube grows  for coder winter regions were summers would be ok

share your experience

https://mycotopia.ne...ruction-how-to/

#24 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,478 posts

Posted 09 April 2019 - 04:48 PM

Last year we had deer getting into the garden and eat all my tiny cucumbers and decapitated my tomatoes, they eat the wild mushrooms that grow in the yard, there are always deer-mouth shaped bites taken out, so I'm thinking they will try to get at the cubes too, I'll have to put up a little alarm with string and pop cans`, that seemed to help last year.

#25 Furthur1

Furthur1

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 398 posts

Posted 09 April 2019 - 07:24 PM

Hey all, went for a walk down in the woods today, checking on morels, still nothing.

Anyhow, I grabbed some young ramps and scooped a couple of last year's Ganoderma applanatum, artist conk. Also found a very nice patch of em on a downed tree, this year's growth, gonna scoop em up in the fall.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20190409_200536127.jpg
  • IMG_20190409_200600511.jpg
  • IMG_20190409_200536127.jpg

• Billcoz and Mushinist like this

#26 Furthur1

Furthur1

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 398 posts

Posted 09 April 2019 - 09:12 PM

just realised this thread was about growing outdoors, dang, sorry, i guess now than im in, im in, got some saucers that need flown, i guess its time to get back into the swing of things. 

#27 bezevo

bezevo

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 708 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 April 2019 - 10:56 AM

cool welcome Furthur1

#28 bezevo

bezevo

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 708 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 April 2019 - 10:34 AM

HORSE POO  BASED OUT DOOR BED

I was searching round for some interesting threads and i found this one based on HORSE POO 1

Last  year i found a hobby farm that will give me FREE  composted  cow poo and or Donkey poo .

they load my truck with a BobCat and i run the shovel to unload THE FUN PART ! HEH !

In this thread llooks like  cubes are grown

https://mycotopia.ne...w-w-horse-plop/

#29 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,478 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 11:05 AM

HORSE POO  BASED OUT DOOR BED

I was searching round for some interesting threads and i found this one based on HORSE POO 1

Last  year i found a hobby farm that will give me FREE  composted  cow poo and or Donkey poo .

they load my truck with a BobCat and i run the shovel to unload THE FUN PART ! HEH !

In this thread llooks like  cubes are grown

https://mycotopia.ne...w-w-horse-plop/

Haha, he called it "horse PLOP" in that thread, that's funny as hell.

Edited by Billcoz, 12 April 2019 - 11:06 AM.

#30 bezevo

bezevo

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 708 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 April 2019 - 11:44 AM

We have lots Amish here we call horse poop ROAD APPLES

#31 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,478 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 12:39 PM

Road apples, yummy!

#32 bezevo

bezevo

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 708 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 April 2019 - 05:45 PM

Here is a  link really GREAT  Out Door thread  MUSHROOMS and Cctus ..this one posted by Golly posted awhile back  ENJOY .

https://mycotopia.ne...tdoor-patches/#

post-5488-13818545032.jpg

post-5488-138185452234.jpg

Remember on this thread  you can share Your OUTDOOR Mushroom Grows !

Whether it's Actives.... Cubes.... ,Exotics... , Cubes ,,,, Wood Lovers,,,, Edibles ..., Medicinal s...

or Novelty  mushrooms

TIPS ,TRICKS , TEK , Thrifty  supply deals  and so on

.WOW ! THAT'S A MOUTHFUL !

So share your GROWS interesting  info ,others teks ,. OR ........Questions !

I am in a Temperate Zone with harsh natural climate swings .zone 5a .

So please when you post your out door info mention your climate zone .

thanks for stopping by

BEZ !

Edited by bezevo, 13 April 2019 - 06:15 PM.

• Billcoz and Mushinist like this

#33 levicah

levicah

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 57 posts

Posted 13 April 2019 - 10:56 PM

Hey coopdog, glad to see another southsounder around here, you mentioned cottonwood, have you grown anything on it? I'm sure oysters would do well, morels also because it is a poplar. I got more cottonwood than alder. I chipped 11 alder beds for Cyans, but wont see anything till fall. I caved in and nocked my first indoor cubs last week. Should tide me over until fall. I did all kinds of different things with the outdoor beds, so far rye berries spread on wet egg crate topped with alder chips and straw are running like crazy. Colonized sawdust and chips seem to take longer to spread out. Finally, I cut a buttload of 1'' thick alder rounds 3'' - 4" dia. and made a huge bed of cardboard, sawdust/chip spawn and laid the rounds on top of that, dusted it with sandy soil and then covered with straw. I'm hoping the alder rounds will keep producing without having to add chips for a few years. The rain we are getting is just what we need. I have 8 lions mane totems standing upright with paper leaf bags over each one, the bags are supposed to dissolve naturally over the summer while holding in moisture. we shall see. Oh, I did 2 liquid culture patches, but rye or wheat berries are a sure bet. Not sure if the LC is doing what it should be doing...kind of a fragile way of doing things outdoors in my opinion. I've done about all I can do, now just gotta keep things wet through another hot summer. Oh yeah, also got a small tub full of egg crate squares with cyan mycelium eating them in the closet...gotta figure out where to put those. not a bad prep season for one multispore syringe. PS. I have to overcome a certain amount of paranoia to post some of this...doesnt anybody ever worry about this? What about those members that "just disappear" Lol.

• bezevo likes this

#34 bezevo

bezevo

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 708 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 April 2019 - 11:38 PM

levicah

thanks for posting your different beds sound very interesting . looking forward to hear our your beds do this fall and if the bed with 3 inch rounds keeps producing for a few years ,

thanks again for sharing . bez

Edited by bezevo, 13 April 2019 - 11:39 PM.

• levicah likes this

#35 raymycoto

raymycoto

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 590 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 April 2019 - 04:32 PM

This came up in my graveyard recently. Where I throw my spent tubs and contaminated grows. These fruits seemed very dense in comparison to those grown inside. 

This is cubensis var Cambodian. By far the biggest I have ever seen in my limited mycological experience.

20190420 073114
20190420 073504
20190420 073321
20190420 073022

I decided to try a technique for clean spore collection from outdoor fruits. This was introduced to me by another mycotopiate.

Upside down placement of the cap under a steriled polystyrene petri plate. Unfortunately, no spores were collected. It's a static charge thing that attracts spores to the plate. I printed a companion fruit from the same outdoor flush so I'm not sure what happened but I ended up with no spore from it.

20190420 074140
20190420 074427

However, wanting to save its genetics, I managed to swab a few spores from its gills after carefully breaking it apart. I then plated samples of a few sorts. Sp is the spores rubbed onto the plate. C is pieces of the cotton swab embedded into the agar. T is tissue samples.

20190421 082421

And I still have the 50 gm stem in the fridge that I'll save for further samples if these don't grow.

Edited by raymycoto, 22 April 2019 - 04:35 PM.

• Furthur1, Billcoz, Mushinist and 1 other like this

#36 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,478 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 12:41 AM

Damn it Raymycoto, that is nice. 

#37 raymycoto

raymycoto

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 590 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 April 2019 - 10:57 AM

Thanks, I will look at my contaminated failures as not such a big deal and look forward to contributing to the graveyard. It may have to be a seasonal thing. I will now start looking for the optimal season for outdoor disposal. I'm guessing that I need to wait until the last frost but don't want it too hot. 

Another thing I did was to throw an inverted 20 qt tub over those fruits. There were some others coming up but they dried out. I really recommend the tub or perhaps a sheet of plastic over the area would preserve the moisture. It made a difference.

Edited by raymycoto, 23 April 2019 - 10:58 AM.

• Billcoz likes this

#38 Bobotrank

Bobotrank

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 95 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 07:23 PM

While I was out of town my Garden Giants started flushing. That was the good news. I noc’d up the bed a few short seeming months back, and wasn’t expecting anything until fall. Something, I’m guessing the skunk I’ve been seeing as of late, got into them, however, and ate a few huge ass caps. So I come back to half eaten mushrooms, and lots of digging in my bed. I might clone one or two, but god damn skunks, man. Watch out for those bastards.
  • Billcoz likes this

#39 bezevo

bezevo

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 708 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 April 2019 - 12:20 PM

hey thanks for post on your grave yard Cambodian   raymycoto

bummer about the skunks bobotrank

#40 bezevo

bezevo

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 708 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 May 2019 - 07:02 PM

A CPL  days ago a fellow myco file asked mme if i had any ideas on growing out doors in a dry climate ...possably in a  tube .

i told them about TVcasualty's wet towel tek .

its a great out door idea .

so here is a link too another great idea .......

https://mycotopia.ne...-wet-towel-tek/

if you have used this idea//tek please tell us about it  .

thanks TVcasualty'

post-5901-138185470073.jpg

Edited by bezevo, 01 May 2019 - 07:09 PM.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!