• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Turtlegirl

Turtlegirl

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 148 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 08:46 AM

Ok everybody.  I've been just rocking along harvesting and drying fruits.  I'm growing Golden Teacher and I have gotten more flushes out of my cakes than suspected.  So after the fifth flush on one cake, I noticed yesterday that it had a pin on it.  Of course, I was happy.  Then this morning, I saw green fuzzy stuff on my cake.  I'm suspecting this is NOT good.  I'm thinking I need to toss the cake and sacrifice the pin.  Here is a pic.  I hope it shows up OK.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_18421.JPG

#2 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 6,442 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 April 2019 - 09:18 AM

Toss that with a quickness. 

• onediadem, Billcoz, Turtlegirl and 1 other like this

#3 Harlow

Harlow

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 49 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 09:26 AM

You may want to wait until one of the more experienced people chime in, but if I had to choose I would say toss that thing right away.  AT LEAST isolate it from the rest of the cakes; like in a separate container.  The mycelium has it's own immune system but as the cakes get old, and if they get bruised, they become prone to contams.  I also suggest doing a wipe down of your fruiting chamber with some rubbing alcohol or at least peroxide.  I am not a mold expert, but it looks like that may have gotten to the spore stage, so you will want to do a little clean up the area it was fruiting in.  Once your cakes are spent then you can do a full cleaning.

Edit: Looks like Myc responded while I was reading this, then responding.

Edited by Harlow, 10 April 2019 - 09:26 AM.

• Billcoz, Turtlegirl and WolfWhiz like this

#4 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,643 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 April 2019 - 09:29 AM

Classic thread title...

Trich strikes again.

• onediadem, roc, Billcoz and 3 others like this

#5 Turtlegirl

Turtlegirl

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 148 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 09:57 AM

I did what I was advised.  I've been working on cleaning up my fruiting chamber.  I've taken the perlite out and I sprayed with hydrogen peroxide and letting it dry outside.  I'm allowing my fruiting chamber to dry out then I was going to bleach the crap out of it.  I've got other cakes that will be ready for the fruiting chamber soon.  I am happy I got the fruits I did out of my first cakes so I won't complain.  It was hard to throw a cake away that had a pin on it but I'm not taking any chances.  I ended getting 415 wet grams out of 5 cakes.  I hope that is good.  Since I'm new I really don't know.  Thanks for all the help.

• roc, Billcoz and Harlow like this

#6 Harlow

Harlow

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 49 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 10:45 AM

Good job on the successful grow so far.  And awesome cleaning plan.  I too am not an expert, but I think that is pretty good especially for a new grow.  I just finished my first grow a week or so ago.  After the first flush one of my cakes bruised blue, and ended up starting to grow only on that part of it.  I don't recall anything traumatic happening to the cake, so it's just part of the process sometimes I guess...maybe it will just be a smaller part as we gain xp :)

• Turtlegirl likes this

#7 Turtlegirl

Turtlegirl

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 148 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 11:11 AM

I don't know what you are growing but I did read where GT bruises very easy.  I was literally seeing them turn blue after I harvested them.  It was as if any type of contact bruised them.  I really screwed up because on my first cake I thought it was mold and I threw it out.  Later I found out it was just bruised.  Lesson learned.  Now if I'm in doubt, I take a picture, post it, and within an hour or so I have answers.  I've learned so much from this site.

#8 Harlow

Harlow

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 49 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 12:10 PM

Yeah, there are some amazing people here.  And it was GT, good call!  When I felt my cakes were not producing anymore I cut off all the edges and the sides, cut the remaining cake into a couple smaller pieces, and soaked them.  After just an hour or two they were soft enough to break apart real easy.  I mixed that with some cow poo I procured (and sterilized) from a pasture.  I did a 1:1 ration of spent cakes to poo, which I could have gone higher poo but I was being cautious.  It gave me another flush of shrooms.  I have heard of people using spent cakes before but haven't read too much on it, but it made me happy getting another harvest from them.

• Turtlegirl likes this

#9 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 213 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 12:38 PM

Now you know what trichoderma looks like you can hopefully spot it earlier on, it's not worth keeping around!

Good job on the grow otherwise.
  • Billcoz and Turtlegirl like this

#10 roc

roc

Forum International Moderator

• 7,355 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 April 2019 - 01:44 PM

Good to hear you are doing well on your grow!
Sorry about the trich strike!

• Turtlegirl likes this

#11 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 06:43 PM

Hey, 5 flushes is pretty damn good, green stuff will show up eventually, unless you have some nice lab filtration system for your grow area or something.

If you have an area outside in your yard or garden to put it, you could start an outdoor cube patch(if your in a warm enough climate), a cake graveyard where mushrooms might come out of the ground like zombies.

Last fall, after putting out a bunch of spent cakes into my garden, kind of mixed into some compost/mulch, there were some colonized patches of compost with a few pins that died the same night i found them when the temps fell a lot and frost hit. 

Edited by Billcoz, 10 April 2019 - 06:44 PM.

• Myc and Turtlegirl like this

#12 Turtlegirl

Turtlegirl

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 148 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 08:18 AM

That is really cool about getting more out of them.  I don't think it would be a good idea for me to put them in my back yard.  I have too many 4 legged chitlins that might get into them.  I may come up with something else but I will have to stew on it a while.

• RutgerHauer likes this

#13 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 213 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 08:48 AM

You can also try the plant pot grow, maybe outside as well? Been willing to try this in the future..
  • Billcoz and Turtlegirl like this

#14 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 11:07 PM

Flood your neighbors yard with cubes, your whole town. That's what I'm doing, I'm gonna spray live mycelium and spore water all over the place.

• Cuboid and aqudoc like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!