• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Base758

Base758

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 39 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 01:01 AM

Just once I want to be successful with a bulk grow. Is there a step by step with photos bulk for dummies tec out there? I’m decent with the brf pf cakes tub grows....

Thank you!

#2 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 240 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 04:12 AM

Depends on what you are able to get your hands on for materials! Here one with horse shit: https://mycotopia.ne...-poo-pictorial/ It will make the basics clear.

I am running my first bulk grow with 50/50 coco coir+vermiculite, since I'm already in enough shit as it is ;) - you'll be able to find a good TEK on that as well.

Also, some good videos to find on that as well on YouTube.

Edited by RutgerHauer, 11 April 2019 - 04:13 AM.

#3 roc

roc

Forum International Moderator

• 7,546 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 April 2019 - 05:12 AM

If you have access to field dried horse shit then checkout the link below in my signature.

• onediadem likes this

#4 Base758

Base758

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 39 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 11:36 AM

I think I read somewhere that it’s better (easier) to start with coco coir/vermiculite? I think they said horse manure contaminates easier?

Appreciate it!

#5 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 03:19 PM

Shit wont contam easier if it's pasteurized properly using a thermometer, though coir is easier to prepare. It still should be pasteurized but it's not as necessary as with shit.

I can't find a *bucket tek* with pics to link, all you do is get a coco-coir brick(8 quarts, from a pet store in the reptile section), put it in a 5 gal bucket with up to 8 quarts verm. Boil 1.25 gallons water and dump in the bucket on the coir brick, try to break it up and mix a bit and put the lid on quick before it starts to cool(you want the heat trapped). Wrap a comforter/blanket around it and wait 2 hours, open, and stir it up. When it's mixed well It should be fully wet but not dripping, take a huge handful and squeeze it as hard as you can, it should drip once or twice, if it's not fully hydrated you can add a little, a cup or less at a time, mix, and squeeze again until you get it to barely drip, that's perfect field capacity. Once that is FULLY cool it is ready to use. You can make smaller batches by breaking the coir brick in half or quarters, and add less verm, half a brick would be up to 4 quarts verm, 1/4 brick would be 2 quarts, and half or quarter the amount of water too.

Edited by Billcoz, 11 April 2019 - 03:24 PM.

#6 Base758

Base758

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 39 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 10:44 PM

The tecs I’ve come across seem incomplete when compared to brf cakes in pf tec. You’ve just described preparing and pasteurizing a substrate, and providing it with moisture. So now, where is the food for the mycelium? At this stage you’d inoculate it to full colonization and consolidation, then you’d uncover it to get light and air in a warm humid fruiting environment, but where’s the food? Is coco coir food for fungus?

#7 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 10:52 PM

Here's a vid(link). He adds coffee but I would skip that, iv'e seen grounds get pink mold.

Edited by Billcoz, 11 April 2019 - 10:54 PM.

#8 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 240 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 03:52 AM

Your colonized grains are nutrition.
  • Billcoz likes this

#9 Base758

Base758

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 39 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 07:48 AM

Ok. Appreciate it.
  • RutgerHauer likes this

#10 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 240 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 09:21 AM

What I understand is that it I is the point not to make a too nutritious substrate, because that will also allow contaminants to grow very quick as well!

#11 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 10:25 AM

Bulk substrate(the coir/verm) is not nutrition for cubes, the grainspawn should have enough nutes to carry it though all the flushes, the coir is just a structure for the myc to spread through and to hold moisture, remember, the fruit bodies are not the bulk of the organism, the myc is, shrooms are like, the reproductive parts, no wonder penis envy looks like it does.

#12 Base758

Base758

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 39 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 03:28 AM

So the spawn is the food?? You break it up, mix it into the coir/vermiculite substrate at field capacity, and the spawn colonizes the substrate? If the fully colonized mycelium gets hungry, it grabs the wife and kids and heads out to White Castle for some sliders back at where the spawn bits were located?

#13 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 09:47 PM

So the spawn is the food?? You break it up, mix it into the coir/vermiculite substrate at field capacity, and the spawn colonizes the substrate? If the fully colonized mycelium gets hungry, it grabs the wife and kids and heads out to White Castle for some sliders back at where the spawn bits were located?

Ha, exactly right, the grains mixed throughout the substrate give nutrition.

#14 Base758

Base758

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 39 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 11:43 PM

Got it. Thanks Bill!

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!