2 replies to this topic

#1 Doja

Doja

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 11:47 PM

Hello! 

New to posting on Mycotopia, and this will be my second post after having introduced me self some time ago. I've been trying to find some information on purple developing on mycelium after having entered fruiting stage. I picked a couple of mushrooms whose veil had already broken open. Came home a couple hours later to see this purple stain on a portion of the mycelium. Any idea if this is some sort of Pink/purple mold, or is it something I'm unaware of? What should I do immediately? I read about the possibility of it being spores?

Thanks for your responses! 

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_6077.jpg

#2 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 6,128 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 April 2019 - 07:47 AM

It gets asked as often as what is this green stuff. I'm surprised that so many folks can read and teach themselves to grow mushroom so well, but yet have no idea what the spores they started come from the mushrooms too.

You, my friend, have made your first spore print whether you meant to or not. There are better ways to preserve and use your spore print than this way. It is good practice to harvest your mushrooms before they make a mess on your substrate. But what you have pictured is nothing to be alarmed about. Some folks will say that the spore mess will inhibit future growth and others will say it doesn't. I would suggest harvesting all the mature mushrooms that have a veil close to breaking or that are showing their gills. Unless of course, you intend on making spore prints, then let them mature to the point of dropping spores the decapitate them and put the caps on foil or glass to be self-sufficient not having to purchase spore from vendors.

Nice Job getting this far! whether this is your first grow or your hundredth, it always just as satisfying to be able to see the lil ones grow. Welcome to Mycotopia! 

• onediadem likes this

#3 Doja

Doja

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 April 2019 - 10:34 AM

Thank you for your reply! It is indeed my first grow, they are looking pretty great. I tried picking at the appropriate time, but when I got home from work there were a few with fully broken veils. Thanks again for your reply! It's pretty amazing watching them grow from spore to mushroom.

• onediadem likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!