14 replies to this topic

#1 picapau

picapau

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 45 posts

Posted 13 April 2019 - 08:09 AM

Hey

So, I think it will be beneficial for me to have a spot to ask some questions about this process. I'm sure there are places here where the questions I pose have been answered multiple times....I'm just not proving all the quick in finding the info. There is a lot of it here!

I opted for bags, as I have mentioned elsewhere. Convenient as they are, so far, I'm already looking forward to making some cakes and possibly playing around with bird seed....soon.

I inoculated 4 one lb bags  of rye with B+ cubes about 13 days ago. At about 7 days I had growth in each bag.....and from what I understand about rye, it goes slooooow.

My first question/concern is about humidity during incubation. So far I'm going  with the idea that it's not super important. There is visible moisture inside each bag. I have the bags in a cardboard flat on top on the water heater with a space heater in the same area keeping the temp in the mid to upper 70's. I am fanning the space a few times a day also.

I'm in the high desert and it's still pretty cold yet...so that creates more need for supplemental heat.

My concern is the effect of humidity at this stage of colonization. It's been steady at 30%. ....but I'm concerned about the hater I'm using and the air possibly getting too dry outside the bags.

This morning I put an ultra-sonic humidifier with distilled water in the space to bump up the humidity. Is this necessary?

Is there an ideal humidity for colonization?  or a low threshold?

#2 DaveyJonez

DaveyJonez

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 205 posts

Posted 13 April 2019 - 08:50 AM

I'm by no means an expert but IME I've found it important to really make sure the outside of the grains are dry after your soak and simmer.. Also with large amounts of grains in bags you may need to pressure cook for a longer duration to ensure sterilization.. These are both mistakes I had to learn the hard way

#3 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 217 posts

Posted 13 April 2019 - 08:56 AM

I'm not sure you are asking about grain preparation - since DaveyJones seems to think so - or the humidity of the environment you have you bag colonizing in. If the bag of grains is properly hydrated, sterilized and sealed, a dry environment should not be an issue.

Edited by RutgerHauer, 13 April 2019 - 08:57 AM.

• Microbe and picapau like this

#4 picapau

picapau

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 45 posts

Posted 13 April 2019 - 08:59 AM

I'm not sure you are asking about grain preparation - since DaveyJones seems to think so - or the humidity of the environment you have you bag colonizing in. If the bag of grains is properly hydrated, sterilized and sealed, a dry environment should not be an issue.

yeah, this was my question. 

Sorry if it was not clear enough.

Thanks for the input~

• RutgerHauer likes this

#5 DaveyJonez

DaveyJonez

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 205 posts

Posted 13 April 2019 - 09:01 AM

Oops sorry I was confused I didn't really read the whole thing.. I saw that it was moist inside the bag and had flashbacks
  • picapau likes this

#6 picapau

picapau

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 45 posts

Posted 13 April 2019 - 09:08 AM

Oops sorry I was confused I didn't really read the whole thing.. I saw that it was moist inside the bag and had flashbacks

no worries.

I don't know that I ill play around with grain (rye) much going forward. I'm liking the idea of using BRF to colonize straw or bird seed.....some great info here on that. 

I assume from your comment that external moisture on the rye contaminated it?

• DaveyJonez likes this

#7 DaveyJonez

DaveyJonez

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 205 posts

Posted 13 April 2019 - 09:11 AM

no worries.

I don't know that I ill play around with grain (rye) much going forward. I'm liking the idea of using BRF to colonize straw or bird seed.....some great info here on that.

Well, like I said I'm no expert but it was probably either that or not pressure cooker for long enough.. My bags started out fine and then I lost them to wetness. But I'm told the wetness was probably bacterial slime... Maybe I shouldn't comment so much when I don't know anything lol!
  • picapau likes this

#8 picapau

picapau

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 45 posts

Posted 13 April 2019 - 09:23 AM

no worries.

Well, like I said I'm no expert but it was probably either that or not pressure cooker for long enough.. My bags started out fine and then I lost them to wetness. But I'm told the wetness was probably bacterial slime... Maybe I shouldn't comment so much when I don't know anything lol!

i don't mind the comments on my thread at all.

i have one prior cultivation experience.... and it was  successful. I imagine I just had some luck.   I don't know much more than what I've read otherwise....so, I'm interested in all the opinions and such.

most of my experience is on the medicine journey itself....ego-death TEK?  lol

• DaveyJonez likes this

#9 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 217 posts

Posted 13 April 2019 - 09:47 AM

I had some trouble with rye as well. Popcorn works for me, have never done BRF. If you have something that works for you, I think it is wise to stick with that for a while.
  • DaveyJonez and picapau like this

#10 DaveyJonez

DaveyJonez

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 205 posts

Posted 13 April 2019 - 09:53 AM

Ego death tek: just go with it
  • picapau likes this

#11 Microbe

Microbe

civis scientiam

• OG VIP
  • 4,335 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 April 2019 - 11:12 AM

Rye is a excellent grain to use (i prefer whole oats) and if its growing slow its either genetics, cool temps, extreme hot temps, too much moisture, or contaminated.

As far as excess moisture on the grains causing contamination, this is not possible assuming proper sterilization. Contamination is a result of the organism that contaminated the grains rather it be bacteria or mold and again if proper sterilization was achieved, then it was introduced via inoculate, breech in the filter/bag/lid, or operator error.

If you were to completely submerge grains in water and seal the lid making it air tight and sterilize properly, the oats or eater will never contaminate and if all the O2 was evacuated, the grains will remained unchanged for centuries assuming not disturbed such as viciously shaking them.

My point is moisture does not result in contamination but instead acts as a super highway for bacteria and more aggressive fungi like molds to move throughout the substrate very aggressively. Think of water as being a super highway for the competitor to travel through.

Now excess moisture is a problem and even though we ise high efficiency filter patches, it does not stop everything and spores are dirty by nature so there will always be competition so by eliminating excess moisture sets the target fungi up for success.

I probably babbled on longer then i should have about this but i felt i would have came off as a dick if i just said moisture doesnt cause contamination. Its very detrimental for sure.

Using cakes to inoculate straw will work but will be much more labor intensive depending on the method you want to use them especially if you want to expand or extract the mycelium. Its easier to expand 1 jar of grains into 10 more jars of grain versus expanding 1 cake into 10 cakes even if you were to milk or extract the mycelium.
  • DaveyJonez and picapau like this

#12 picapau

picapau

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 45 posts

Posted 13 April 2019 - 11:46 AM

I had some trouble with rye as well. Popcorn works for me, have never done BRF. If you have something that works for you, I think it is wise to stick with that for a while.

I'm not having trouble yet....but knock on wood.

I agree about sticking with something that works. I guess I'm in the process of that.

• DaveyJonez likes this

#13 DaveyJonez

DaveyJonez

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 205 posts

Posted 13 April 2019 - 11:57 AM

Rye is a excellent grain to use (i prefer whole oats) and if its growing slow its either genetics, cool temps, extreme hot temps, too much moisture, or contaminated.

As far as excess moisture on the grains causing contamination, this is not possible assuming proper sterilization. Contamination is a result of the organism that contaminated the grains rather it be bacteria or mold and again if proper sterilization was achieved, then it was introduced via inoculate, breech in the filter/bag/lid, or operator error.

If you were to completely submerge grains in water and seal the lid making it air tight and sterilize properly, the oats or eater will never contaminate and if all the O2 was evacuated, the grains will remained unchanged for centuries assuming not disturbed such as viciously shaking them.

My point is moisture does not result in contamination but instead acts as a super highway for bacteria and more aggressive fungi like molds to move throughout the substrate very aggressively. Think of water as being a super highway for the competitor to travel through.

Now excess moisture is a problem and even though we ise high efficiency filter patches, it does not stop everything and spores are dirty by nature so there will always be competition so by eliminating excess moisture sets the target fungi up for success.

I probably babbled on longer then i should have about this but i felt i would have came off as a dick if i just said moisture doesnt cause contamination. Its very detrimental for sure.

Using cakes to inoculate straw will work but will be much more labor intensive depending on the method you want to use them especially if you want to expand or extract the mycelium. Its easier to expand 1 jar of grains into 10 more jars of grain versus expanding 1 cake into 10 cakes even if you were to milk or extract the mycelium.

I appreciate the clarification! Thank you

#14 picapau

picapau

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 45 posts

Posted 13 April 2019 - 12:01 PM

That  post was great info for me, thanks!

Moisture as the medium for bacteria makes sense.

As for the BRF to straw stuff, I was thinking of crumbling and layering a few cakes into a bed of pasteurized straw...or birdseed ....

I am just trying casing for the first time. I'm doing Hippies casing for dummies method...cause I'm a dummy ;)  But it seems wise to me, once I have something colonized, to keep it going rather than germinate news spores each time. So, I may try a grain to grain procedure if my current bags are successful.

If I have the grain going I can just use it and there would be no real reason to do the cakes....other than I'm just going to do some for the fun of it.

I forgot how much fun this is and how having it all in the house with me is like being on a multi-week micro-dose.

Birdseed and straw are attractive ideas to me. I'll also look into the popcorn method when I get a sec.

• DaveyJonez likes this

#15 picapau

picapau

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 45 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 09:16 PM

Ha....this is funny. When I did a run on BRF years ago, I had no forum or anyone to ask questions  questions of. Now, I am hyperfocused on every little detail.

Anyway, with my 4 bags of grain all have started growing. I had the temp a little too cool and it was slow going. Over the past 3 days I have maintained 75-80 degrees. 

2 of the bags are starting to take off while the other two are lagging. The two that are lagging have very little moisture visible on the inside of the bag compared to the other two that are thriving.

Basically, it appears that two of my bags are not as moist.  I don't know how dry/moist they are in terms of whats ideal. They are sealed bags with air filters and self-healing injection sites.

grain_instructions_5-1_filter_breathe.jp

That ^ is the bag.

Questions for anyone willing to consider:

What are tell tale signs that the bag may be too dry?

Is there any remedy for this if that should be the case?

TIA

ETA: if there is any copy-write issue with photo, please delete it or let me know and I will

Edited by picapau, 16 April 2019 - 09:18 PM.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!