• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 joeya

joeya

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 304 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 12:20 PM

Today marks the 2 week point on my PF TEK run of Golden Teacher. I have 10 half pint jars going, all of which have good levels of colonization. 6 of them colonized at all four injection sites, one of them only 2 so far.

I've noticed in pictures on here, as well as my own grow, that the bottom of the jar does not seem to grow mycelia, so I got to thinking about why that may be. Since I've got so many jars growing, I have room for some experimentation.

My first thought is that we put these nice little holes in the lid to facilitate air exchange and leave the jar standing upright. CO2 is heavier than air, so it stands to reason that the bottom of the jar would have a high CO2 content inhibiting mycelial growth. By way of simple experiment, I've decided to try inverting one jar (the one in the foreground of the attached photo) to see if that bottom area may get filled in. I can't imagine that nobody would have tried this before, but I haven't stumbled over such a discussion after a great deal of searching here. Since I'm only inverting this one jar, I will still have the other 9 to use as a control to compare if there is any significant difference. I'll update this in a couple of days. I'm probably about a week away from birthing the most advanced of the cakes, it will be interesting to see if this will be one of them. 

20190417_110153.jpg

#2 WolfWhiz

WolfWhiz

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 250 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 01:07 PM

The amount of fresh air is minimal at mycelium growth point, personally I think it has to do more with pressure equalization and the removal of gases produced by the myc growth, rather than osmotic respirations. Once you move to grain spawn, then exchange becomes more crucial just due to the medium. I have tried rotating them in case even gravity might be a factor, but have seen no difference.

• joeya likes this

#3 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,433 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 April 2019 - 01:45 PM

That comes up all the. Its not gas exchange that causes it. Really no point in turning them upside down. Shouldn't hurt anything though, as long as the verm barrier was snug in the jar. In other words no empty space for the verm barrier to move about.

The short wide mouth jars work better than the tall regular mouth.

Drying is often brought up as a possible cause, and its not outside the realm of possibility.

A lot more likely to be bacterial contamination. A lot of jars that don't fully colonize, you can examine and see a thickening of the mycelium right at the edge of the uncolonized part. That means its recognized a contaminate and walled it off from the rest of the mycelium.
  • crazy1, peacefrog, WolfWhiz and 1 other like this

#4 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 11:11 PM

Those 1/2 pint tall(reg mouth) jars sometimes wont colonize all the way to the bottom, if they are stalled and you can't get them to restart, you can birth them if the part that is colonized has been long enough to be consolidated, just cut off the uncolonized portion with a clean blade.

• WolfWhiz and joeya like this

#5 joeya

joeya

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 304 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 02:48 PM

Thank you for the responses. I'm particularly intrigued by the bacteria possibility that jkdeth brought up. The bottom edge of the mycelia certainly does appear more bold then the other edges, but since I inverted the jar, it has grown a bit further toward the bottom (now on top.) 

I understand these tall jars are also less than ideal, it was all that I had when my spore syringe arrived and I wanted to get right into it. I'll certainly use Billcoz' suggestion about trimming off the unpopulated area once everything else is filled in. 

#6 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,433 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 April 2019 - 02:55 PM

That small bit that doesn't colonize isn't too much of a worry as long as the rest of the jar looks good. It will rinse right off under tap water, prior to your dunk. PF jars really don't need to be birthed til you see pins. Conversely, if you see pins there's also no need to wait for further colonization.
  • Billcoz and joeya like this

#7 joeya

joeya

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 304 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 07:05 PM

By way of follow up from this post, after 4 days of the jar being inverted, the mycelium has extended it's coverage by about a quarter of an inch. Most of the other jars, which were not inverted, exhibited approximately the same growth. So, it does not appear that turning the jar upside down makes any difference in this regard. At least it's good news that all of the jars are growing, in fact one of them has reached the bottom of the jar in a couple of points. I suspect that it will only be a few days until the most advanced couple of jars are ready to birth, although I'm hoping to hold off until after the weekend, as I'll be out of town for a few days. 

• Billcoz and RutgerHauer like this

#8 joeya

joeya

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 304 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 12:53 PM

It's time for a newbie "is this normal" question. I'm running with classic PF TEK on these, so the top half inch of the jar is covered with plain, dry vermiculite. Some of the jars are showing strands of mycelia growing up into that layer, while others are showing that layer acting like a barrier, I believe as intended. I've attached pictures of each situation, so hopefully one of you more experienced folks can tell me that everything is fine and just let it go. Alternatively, if I did something wrong to cause this, I would like to know as well. Any thoughts are welcome, please!

20190423_113924.jpg 20190423_113947.jpg

#9 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,433 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 April 2019 - 01:03 PM

Normal for more aggressive mycelium or longer colonization times. The barrier function is to keep outside competitors from reaching the uncolonized nutritious substrate below the barrier.
  • joeya likes this

#10 joeya

joeya

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 304 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 01:17 PM

Thank you JK, that's the answer I was hoping for!

#11 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 28 April 2019 - 10:29 PM

Yeah that happens, the myc will try to colonize the verm layer, no worries there. Sometimes there will be pins trying to poke up through it.

• joeya likes this

#12 joeya

joeya

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 304 posts

Posted 06 May 2019 - 10:18 AM

Looks like I'm off and running now. Two of my cakes developed a few pins, so I have removed them from their jars, cleaned and soaked, and now in a fruiting chamber! 

During the cleaning process, I removed a couple of pins and a bit of the attached mycelia and put it in some fresh substrate, just to see what would happen. One of those pins has doubled in size, so I have a slight possibly of developing an early sample shroom from this crop! Meanwhile, the other 8 jars still have mycelia spreading through them, so I'll just let them keep at it until they start showing pins also. 

• Billcoz likes this

#13 joeya

joeya

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 304 posts

Posted 08 May 2019 - 06:31 PM

20190508_172308.jpg Cobweb mold or mycelium growth? If it's mold, can I H2O2 it? Thanks for any opinions and suggestions!

#14 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,433 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 May 2019 - 06:59 PM

Definitely not Cobweb, other than that, just give it time.
  • joeya likes this

#15 joeya

joeya

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 304 posts

Posted 08 May 2019 - 07:13 PM

Thank you JK, glad to hear it. Sorry for the upside down photo, I don't know why that happened in the post, the original is not. 

Just for my own education, can you explain quickly why? Is cobweb looser and more hairy? 

Thank you!

#16 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,433 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 May 2019 - 07:21 PM

Cobweb is Don King on bad hair day.

And its fast. And loose. Not compact mycelium. If you think you might have Cobweb, wait 24 hours and there'll be no doubt.
  • joeya likes this

#17 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 09 May 2019 - 01:59 AM

Cobweb mold, pic is from some 'Topia post from expired member, augustwest1-

post-10332-13818527883.jpg

Edited by Billcoz, 09 May 2019 - 02:01 AM.

• joeya likes this

#18 joeya

joeya

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 304 posts

Posted 10 May 2019 - 03:21 PM

Yeah that happens, the myc will try to colonize the verm layer, no worries there. Sometimes there will be pins trying to poke up through it.

Yeah, that happened!  I just popped another cake out that had been showing a couple pins and the top had several, up to an inch long! I suspect this could be a prolific run!

Attached Thumbnails

• 20190510_135741.jpg

• crazy1 and Billcoz like this

#19 joeya

joeya

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 304 posts

Posted 13 May 2019 - 03:44 PM

Well, my first two cakes have a nice flush of pins developing on them now. There are a total of four cakes moved into the fruiting chamber now, with six more still colonizing. I think I'm going to take two of those cakes and use them as spawn in a bulk grow, per the Hongus tek  posted in the "shit you should know" thread, just to see how that works out. Even if that doesn't work out, at least I will have a small dubtub set up ready for my next grow. 

#20 joeya

joeya

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 304 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 09:32 AM

Looks like I'm rapidly approaching a small harvest of a first flush on a cake! This was actually the third cake I moved to the fruiting chamber, it had about a half dozen pins in the top vermiculite section that survived the soak, so I left them to see what would happen. I must say, I'm glad I did that, because now it looks like I'll have some shrooms for the long weekend! The other cakes in the chamber have great pin density as well, but these cheats are so much further ahead!

Attached Thumbnails

• 20190515_081928.jpg

• coorsmikey and Billcoz like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!