17 replies to this topic

#1 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 239 posts

Posted 20 April 2019 - 08:55 AM

Hi topiates!

Have had this going on for a while and was a bit reluctant to get a new topic going to do another log, but since my last one failed I wanted to share and ask guidance when needed. Hope you are willing to share your experiences and choices in your grows here.

I used a Cambodian strain, MS vial to LC, and used 2ml of that on each of 6 220ml jars of popcorn. Almost double the LC I use normally, considering the small jars! Had to shake up twice after inoculation to redistribute all that honey water but that did spread the LC so much another shake was unnessasary, I think this is beinificial because you are breaking things up again at G2G. It colonized in two weeks after which I did the G2G on the 12th of April.

The G2G went alright, but have to manage my SAB space more efficiently in the future!

Since I had used 1 400gram bag of dry popcorn for the 6 small jars, and I know I would need 4 of those bags total to make 12 pint jars, I used the other 3 bags of popcorn I had waiting to prepare the 12 jars for sterilization and then the transfer.

The idea was that I spread one jar of generation 1 spawn to two second generation pint jars.
So, jar A went into 1 + 2, B into 2+3, .. F into 11+12.

I mixed up E and F though, because of that spatial problem in my SAB. No problem, I think.

I originally thought it would be a good idea to do a big propagator. But, since I had to toss my first one I thought it would be best to do two trays inside that propagator like previous times when I did have flushes. But, since I have so much spawn and if I want to do two trays, I don't have much room left in those trays for bulk sub.

I was thinking to do a REZ effect with a casing of vermiculite on top. I think a casing might be a good idea in a less than ideal growing environment, which is my situation at the moment. The two trays can be isolated in two separate propagators, which might reduce chances of contamination if proper care is given. I plan to tape up the holes of the propagator which micropore to keep the bugs out, since I have read that that might be a problem considering verticillium.

The two trays I'm using are a little over 3 liters and are fairly shallow, they are oven trays. I'll probably have about 4.8 liters of spawn, maybe a little less. 2.4 liters each leaves only 0.6 liters for something else.. Because of that I am not sure about REZ either, maybe just straight corn and a casing.. The sub would be just about two inches.

Well, that is all for now, hope to bring good mushy vibes your way soon!

The weather has been kind to us in the Low Lands, temperatures from 20 up to 25 Celsius these days, which is comfortable for me and the mycelium.

Attached Thumbnails

• 26369936-7A97-463A-99F7-E7C4C5575F1C.jpeg
  • BC5EB9DC-FCEE-4466-A6FA-194A491BD53F.jpeg
  • CIMG4166.JPG
  • CIMG4178.JPG
  • 06D9444E-C7AD-4C40-8AF2-5AA3FE439157.jpeg

Edited by RutgerHauer, 20 April 2019 - 09:09 AM.

• prof_it_e, MycoAnt81 and Advocate4TheMT like this

#2 Furthur1

Furthur1

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 180 posts

Posted 20 April 2019 - 09:13 AM

I am a fan of popcorn, looks good from here

• MycoAnt81, Billcoz and RutgerHauer like this

#3 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 239 posts

Posted 20 April 2019 - 09:13 AM

Could do it like McKenna and grow them from the jars in a "terrarium" or regular tub.. small casing and in FC. Hm...

Edit: wrong jars..

Edited by RutgerHauer, 20 April 2019 - 09:15 AM.

#4 Microbe

Microbe

civis scientiam

• OG VIP
  • 4,351 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 April 2019 - 12:46 AM

Jars look great. I do want to mention that transferring generation 1 to another jar does not make the transfer a second generation. Subsequent generations come from spore germination from the parent(s) fruit.

Technically i doubt any of us have a 1st generation culture of any specie of mushroom and probably not even anything younger then a 100th generation. However i do understand and label mine according ie when i receive a culture i document it as a gen 1 even if its a unknown or 77th gen.
  • bezevo and RutgerHauer like this

#5 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 239 posts

Posted 21 April 2019 - 05:18 AM

I understand your point. Mistake is on me. But, we have to call it something. Maybe not.

Edited by RutgerHauer, 21 April 2019 - 06:35 AM.

#6 Microbe

Microbe

civis scientiam

• OG VIP
  • 4,351 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 April 2019 - 06:41 AM

I understand your point. Mistake is on me. But, we have to call it something. Maybe not.

No mistake. Its just best to track generation accurately just in case you get into spore trading or if you want to do side by side tests to name a few. Some dont really care, maybe most i dont know but i sure do. I run a background and credit check on all prospect spores lmao

Edited by Microbe, 21 April 2019 - 08:55 AM.

• RutgerHauer likes this

#7 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 239 posts

Posted 21 April 2019 - 09:53 AM

I have made a chart of when I did inoculate what I used to get to the point of my Golden Teacher clones I'm working on, that's where it comes in handy to keep track of things. I'm not yet into spores, so everything I do with cloning from MS vials would be still first generation, but maybe several clones/transfers later. Instead of labeling G1, G2 - which I was doing - it would be better to use T1 instead for transfer. Always learning.

Edited by RutgerHauer, 21 April 2019 - 09:55 AM.

#8 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 239 posts

Posted 25 April 2019 - 08:50 PM

So I 'bin shoppin'.

How ap'bout dis?

- Mix all spawn with vermiculite, load the trays up, let colonize with lids on - they are not air tight
- Case when ready - and turn lids upside down of smaller bins.
- Later when pinning has started I can put the bigger bin's lid on - upside down, for FAE and remove the smaller lids, not in that order.

Was worried about contamination with just lid upside down, but the casing would help with that. Ideally I want them trays to be in the same conditions, so in one tub as FC like you see here. 140 liters and inside that two times 8.5 liters. Not gonna fill em up though, let us be reasonable. If necessary I can isolate in smaller bins half this size. Would it be preferable to set it up that way right away? I like the idea of one big tub, the trays fill the bottom up quite nicely.

I don't want to be reducing airflow too much I think with putting that huge bin's lid on as well in fruiting conditions when the smaller lids are still on in some way or another. Double chamber will probably fuck with airflow, can somebody confirm this idea I have? It might have been an issue for me earlier on in my grows.

I realize I can increase my chances with isolating directly and also making two separate batches of vermiculite and spawn. If one jar is contaminated it is likely on of two trays will live to tell the story. It's also two chances of fucking up anyway.

Attached Thumbnails

• AF5A270C-0D6A-4136-9D9A-8C3D04F8F0BE.jpeg

Edited by RutgerHauer, 25 April 2019 - 09:02 PM.

#9 MycoAnt81

MycoAnt81

Myco Myco Myco Ant

• Free Member
  • 530 posts

Posted 25 April 2019 - 09:07 PM

Nice gear. Man, I’ve never sealed a tub, only lost 2 because I fucked up and tried to add a bunch of nutrients to my sub that in the end went sour. I use some bargain basement tubs from the local super store and I’ve been about 95% successful for the better part of a year. Most I’ve ever covered inoculated sub with was tin foil, and I checked it every 4-5 days or so. Now, I use the lids, and when the sub turns white, I cover the tubs with parchment paper to avoid condensation drops. Good luck. Peace.
  • RutgerHauer likes this

#10 Advocate4TheMT

Advocate4TheMT

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 130 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 April 2019 - 06:27 AM

I just did something similar check it out. Adventures in Mycology
https://r.tapatalk.c...gy&share_type=t

I’ll be fallowing your thread my friend.
  • MycoAnt81 and RutgerHauer like this

#11 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 239 posts

Posted 10 May 2019 - 11:25 AM

Finally spawned this shit. Had it in my fridge for a week, it was getting full, but that is mainly because I'm defrosting a 4 pound ribeye in there.

Can you count how many jars I ended up using?

Like before, keeping it simple, I am in doubt about the vermiculite I have, so the safest way to test would be to go to straight popcorn substrate with a vermiculite casing applied after a day or five - to not go for a 50/50 vermiculite/spawn mix like I had planned.

About 4.8 liters of spawn went in there, the sub thickness is a good 2-2.5 inch, 5 centimeters. Tray is 8 liters, so it is filled up a little over halfway, which I think is nice.

The tray is sitting in a 70 liter tub with the lid upside down, figure I remove foil when the mycelium is recovered and healthy, case it, and then simply put the tray's lid on upside down to keep humidity high on the surface, like a shoebox. After a few days of recovering and growing into the casing remove that tray's lid and only leave the tub's lid on upside down for more FAE and normal fruiting conditions.

Attached Thumbnails

• 08F4207B-BAD7-4DDC-A98A-A297AC175ED1.jpeg
  • 6FF948D5-87DD-4B2E-B7EC-B5CB911327C6.jpeg
  • B25DE0A7-774E-466F-949A-873753DA9C2F.jpeg

Edited by RutgerHauer, 10 May 2019 - 12:09 PM.

• MycoAnt81 likes this

#12 joeya

joeya

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 72 posts

Posted 10 May 2019 - 12:19 PM

What are your doubts about the vermiculite? If it's possible contamination, why not just cook it?

#13 aqudoc

aqudoc

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 100 posts

Posted 10 May 2019 - 12:28 PM

"I'm defrosting a 4 pound ribeye in there."

Damn that's a big steak lol

#14 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 239 posts

Posted 10 May 2019 - 01:18 PM

What are your doubts about the vermiculite? If it's possible contamination, why not just cook it?

It is pretty fine stuff, I have the idea it gives trouble with water content and I am unsure if it works. I am testing it on a smaller grow, but will have to wait to see the results of that for a few weeks.

"I'm defrosting a 4 pound ribeye in there."

Damn that's a big steak lol

It is a whole veal boneless ribeye. I eat a lot of meat.
  • MycoAnt81, aqudoc and joeya like this

#15 aqudoc

aqudoc

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 100 posts

Posted 10 May 2019 - 06:30 PM

"It is a whole veal boneless ribeye."

4lb baby cow steak!

shit bro lol!

#16 bezevo

bezevo

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 562 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 May 2019 - 07:06 PM

YUM BABY COW

God Made Animals Delicious !

Thanks !

oops back to mushrooms  sorry

You Go Rutger

Edited by bezevo, 10 May 2019 - 07:07 PM.

• RutgerHauer likes this

#17 MycoAnt81

MycoAnt81

Myco Myco Myco Ant

• Free Member
  • 530 posts

Posted 10 May 2019 - 08:13 PM

Finally spawned this shit. Had it in my fridge for a week, it was getting full, but that is mainly because I'm defrosting a 4 pound ribeye in there.

Can you count how many jars I ended up using?

Like before, keeping it simple, I am in doubt about the vermiculite I have, so the safest way to test would be to go to straight popcorn substrate with a vermiculite casing applied after a day or five - to not go for a 50/50 vermiculite/spawn mix like I had planned.

About 4.8 liters of spawn went in there, the sub thickness is a good 2-2.5 inch, 5 centimeters. Tray is 8 liters, so it is filled up a little over halfway, which I think is nice.

The tray is sitting in a 70 liter tub with the lid upside down, figure I remove foil when the mycelium is recovered and healthy, case it, and then simply put the tray's lid on upside down to keep humidity high on the surface, like a shoebox. After a few days of recovering and growing into the casing remove that tray's lid and only leave the tub's lid on upside down for more FAE and normal fruiting conditions.

Dude, are you fruiting from grain? Just asking cuz I see a beautiful sea of popcorn in that tub.
  • RutgerHauer likes this

#18 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 239 posts

Posted 11 May 2019 - 06:28 AM

Yes - straight popcorn in that thing - all colonized though.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!