#41 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 15,023 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 August 2019 - 12:01 PM

Bullshit, indeed! 

From what I can find, Jed McKenna is a completely made up character and a total work of fiction (which is completely okay) and the familiar voice we seem to hear in all the Y'ubes, it's all the same reader, so probably it's a professional reader from the published audio books. So, no one knows who he is, and apparently that was on purpose.  Through the readings/videos I have been listening to, I was wondering why he hadn't been on channels like the Buddha at the Gas Pump interview series.  

Still, in what I have heard, I resonate quite fully.  I have tried to stress that only brutal self-honesty is going to do the job of destroying that which isn't true, which of course, isn't really there to be destroyed.  The Jed character just doesn't pull his punches as much as my style might allow.   I do like his jabs, hooks, and haymakers.  Only the beliefs and assumptions emanating from the lie of being something real and true in some objective form create the dreaming we take as the real.  One thing I heard in one of the many videos I have listened to in the past two days really nailed it:

You don't want to awaken from your dream.

You want to have a dream of awakening.

I found this page about Jed McKenna (think about that name now -- funny shit, this guy -- I like his style) this morning: http://www.spiritual...rg/jed-mckenna/

Edited by Alder Logs, 28 August 2019 - 12:01 PM.

#42 Calba

Calba

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 85 posts

Posted 28 August 2019 - 09:29 PM

Hi Alder Logs,

Yes, I remember reading that article and was aware nobody really knew who Jed was (and that the slightly Terrencesque narrator wasn't the author).

Issues of his identity never really bothered me or felt relevant, as it seems they don't to you either.

It's actually quite humorous, I think - given the subject matter - to hear nonduality and 'enlightenment' bloggers etc talk about the importance of whether or not Jed is 'real' or 'fiction', or attempting to pronounce on whether 'he' is enlightened or not.

If we can see that we can't actually know anything more beyond the Cogito - then the question of others enlightenment obviously becomes utterly meaningless.

Like you, I resonated. Or rather the words resonated with the knowing that was already inside, so that who he was or if the character of 'Jed' was 'real' (again, lol) was really neither here nor there.

Edited by Calba, 28 August 2019 - 09:35 PM.

• Alder Logs likes this

#43 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 15,023 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 August 2019 - 12:16 PM

The enlightened guy is just a bad sport who stomped off in a black rage and then slinks back after discovering that there is nowhere else to go. 

[Direct Link]

https://www.quora.co...McKenna?share=1

Edited by Alder Logs, 29 August 2019 - 12:17 PM.

• Calba likes this

#44 Guy1298

Guy1298

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 1,046 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 August 2019 - 06:29 PM

I remember when on a large mushroom dose sometime ago, I got excited as I figured something amazing or crazy out. Well, I was just getting a bit delusional. Some odd things started happening in the room I was in. My mind got elated. Yeah, it was cool. I sit down in the shower and the shower starts filling with water. I'm questioning everything. Every out of place thing is a magical creation. When the trip finally ended, after I'd pissed myself and thought I'd died, become God, and experienced eternity, I looked at all those things and noticed they could be explained! I explained them and became once again comforted by a world of reason. 

I suspect that's how it is. The mind explains away Reality. There's no way out until we give up our minds, and the personal identity that seems formed from it. 

How to give up our minds? Well, I know what Ramana would say... "What mind?" 

Edited by Guy1298, 29 August 2019 - 07:33 PM.

• Calba likes this

#45 Guy1298

Guy1298

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 1,046 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 August 2019 - 07:55 PM

Here's something I've also considered. At the moment, I have a Master's degree in Mathematics. Haha. 

For some reason, I don't feel like that is really a worthwhile accomplishment. So what's up with that? I remember coming into the office with my supervisor who also had a degree in Mathematics and telling her that I didn't feel that the degree was valuable. Not valuable in the world, but valuable to me and through me. I didn't value it. 

The conclusion I've come to from that is that I have a tendency to devalue everything I've done. If I've done it... then surely it wasn't difficult. I did it. And I'm not killing myself for accomplishment. It's an ingrained point of view. So, the next line of thought is that this is how I see everything. 

Everything I do is filtered through a point of view that devalues everything I've done. Haha. Maybe that makes it easier to forget the whole of it. I've fooled myself plenty, but I've never really fooled myself. And from where does value come? If value is as suspect as meaning, I should be quick to disengage. When people say that everything is deeply meaningful, I wonder. I don't even want to touch the word. Perhaps I should take a similar approach to "I".

• Calba likes this

#46 Calba

Calba

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 85 posts

Posted 29 August 2019 - 08:58 PM

Do you see other people's accomplishments as fairly valueless too, and their doings as pretty meaningless?

Or is that perspective reserved for you only?

If it's just reserved for you, then perhaps it's time to consider that everyone else's accomplishments might also be fairly meaningless and without value too lol.

Perhaps some might encourage you to see your achievements as being deeply worthy and as important as everybody else's supposedly are. But I think the truth might lie in the exact opposite direction.

We can think we're 'down on ourselves' and 'depressed' when we sense futility in our own doings yet view others lives as filled with meaning. But in fact, it could just be the beginnings of a clearer perspective - except that it doesn't extend to other people... yet.

But perhaps it's all 'sound and fury, signifying nothing'. A play. And play is the only meaning I can see.

We don't tend to seek value and meaning in play. Playing is just done for amusement, and that's recognized to be enough.

That's my ramblings anyway.

Edited by Calba, 29 August 2019 - 08:58 PM.

• Guy1298 likes this

#47 Guy1298

Guy1298

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 1,046 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 August 2019 - 09:23 PM

I really have disengaged from the concept of meaning, at least in regard to the whole of life or existence. I don't look at life as meaningless or meaningful. And I don't claim that there is no meaning. It's a concept that I don't like to think with, at least in the ways I have. That last comment comparing value to meaning was aimed at that.

I guess I should be more careful. Value and meaning fulfill similar roles! 

Looking back over what I wrote, I really see so many ways things could be interpreted! My God! I'm not a very clear writer. Damnit. :).

Who's amused by the play?

Edited by Guy1298, 29 August 2019 - 09:27 PM.

#48 Calba

Calba

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 85 posts

Posted 30 August 2019 - 05:28 AM

Who's amused by the play?

Lila. She seems to enjoy it.

https://en.m.wikiped.../Lila_(Hinduism)

Edited by Calba, 30 August 2019 - 05:48 AM.

• Guy1298 likes this

#49 Guy1298

Guy1298

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 1,046 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 August 2019 - 10:20 AM

Reading the Advaita Bodha Deepika, I liked this line... 

"75-76. There is no illusion which is beyond the power of mind to spread, and no one not deluded by it. Its characteristic is to accomplish that which is impossible. Nothing can escape its power. Even the Self which is always unchanging and untainted, has been made to look changed and tainted."

Edited by Guy1298, 31 August 2019 - 10:20 AM.

#50 Guy1298

Guy1298

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 1,046 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 September 2019 - 05:23 PM

Found myself reading William Samuel's A Guide to Awareness and Tranquility. 

I like this... 

"Within this "highest" strata of human intellectual achievement exists the growing New Theology which says "Humanity is God" at its one extreme and "The individual-I-am is God" at the other extreme... Most of us appear to reach one or the other of these pompous extremes (wittingly or unwittingly) only to discover the emptiness of it all in the agony of the effort and the bitter vomit of the attempt."

Liked it because I've seen myself "unwittingly" taken by one of those extremes myself. Haha. 

I'm not a big fan of the emphasis on Christianity in this book, but, whatever. 

Edited by Guy1298, 02 September 2019 - 05:26 PM.

#51 Guy1298

Guy1298

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 1,046 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 September 2019 - 08:38 PM

By the way, I've liked Willam Samuel's A Guide to Awareness and Tranquility quite a bit. 

I recall moments doing self-inquiry where through intense effort while feeling like I was going crazy, I'd come upon the contrariness of what I am and what I think I am. At times the realizations would last at other times it would bounce back almost immediately. His book brought me to that same place very easily. It's a good one. I found the recommendation through Francis Lucille who taught Rupert Spira, so it's got the same vibe as Rupert.

But, of course, Ramana says nothing different. His apparently highest, non-silent spoken teachings are "You are mere awareness." Same old. 

Edited by Guy1298, 02 September 2019 - 08:39 PM.

• Alder Logs likes this

#52 Guy1298

Guy1298

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 1,046 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 September 2019 - 09:52 PM

I must once again cherish this forum! :). 

Thanks for allowing me to express a good piece of my life here. It hasn't been a pretty experience all the time... you know. But, this forum has seen me grow from a psychedelic newbie seeking enlightenment to... well, a psychedelic newbie seeking enlightenment! 

Gracias! 

• Calba likes this

#53 Guy1298

Guy1298

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 1,046 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 September 2019 - 07:31 PM

Why is the past not felt as the present?

There were civilizations that existed before, but do not exist now. To me it is as if they never existed.

I suppose all this stuff starts pointing at the fact that the content of present moment existence is not the source of value. Value is merely held in the present moment existence apart from content. If there was anything that was valuable it would need to appear now and if it were to truly have value it would have to remain now. But, there is nothing but now that appears and remains. 

I suppose I'm thinking about value again. :).

• Calba likes this

#54 Calba

Calba

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 85 posts

Posted 03 September 2019 - 08:53 PM

I agree. For value to be objectively real, it would have to be constant. (Maybe these words - value, true, real - are interchangeable?) And so for anything to be 'real', or 'true', it would also have to be constant.

I can only see one thing that is constant.

Edited by Calba, 03 September 2019 - 08:53 PM.

#55 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 15,023 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 September 2019 - 11:42 PM

The Tao that can be told is not the eternal Tao.

I love that.

• crazy1, Guy1298 and Calba like this

#56 Guy1298

Guy1298

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 1,046 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 September 2019 - 04:50 PM

Self-inquiry is too strange. I apparently decided to gently ask the question until it's answered, letting all or at least most thoughts rest until I see it answered. The last couple days have been unbelievably high. I think it's really become gentle which is different than earlier throughout this last year or so. I'm not vigilant, thoughts arise, but with being genuinely interested in finding the answer to the question, they fall away. 

Edited by Guy1298, 05 September 2019 - 04:51 PM.

#57 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 15,023 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 September 2019 - 08:42 PM

The discovery of truth is in the discernment of the false.
You can know what is not.

What is - you can only be.
~Nisargadatta Maharaj

I had that on my clipboard from another forum, so I dumped it here too.  If we see states of being, are we those states?  Will there be anyone left to see answers?  If you wake up and find nobody there, I guess you just put on your Guy1298 suit and see if anyone notices, seeing that illusion of a seer, seeming to see.

• crazy1 and Guy1298 like this

#58 Guy1298

Guy1298

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 1,046 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 September 2019 - 03:49 PM

I suppose we'll see how this go at self-inquiry turns out. I'll never wrap my head around the highs. 

#59 clumsy

clumsy

Mycophage

• Gold VIP
  • 119 posts

Posted 06 September 2019 - 06:07 PM

Before my seeking came to a conclusion, I looked into Ramana Maharshi. He said "silence, alone, is sufficient". Another way of saying this is "All that is required to realise the Self is to “Be Still.”  Self enquiry was suggested for those who could not manage that silence thing. Self equiry never did a thing for (the illusory) me.

#60 Guy1298

Guy1298

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 1,046 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 September 2019 - 07:47 PM

Yeah, Ramana is interesting. 

Maybe it's the bit of brain damages I've incurred from meditation and psychedelics. Self-inquiry gets me higher than a kite. 

I think telling someone to be silent is a terrible way to make someone silent. Even having the idea "I should be silent" isn't good. In my opinion, disinterest makes silence. I can be disinterested by choice by coming to know that everything I've yet to find interest in isn't me or mine and doesn't last. 

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!