Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Have I Killed My Spores? (Inoculated Hot Rye)

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Salem

Salem

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 37 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 03:01 PM

Hey all,

I Just made a really silly mistake. After I PC'd my Rye I forgot to wait a little for the Rye to cool before inoculation. I was in a rush and wasn't thinking. Just wondering if there's any chance of my Mushroom spores surviving the high temp of the Rye?

Edited by Salem, 24 April 2019 - 03:02 PM.

#2 PasF

PasF

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 53 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 03:12 PM

From my reading if the temperature was over 106 degrees spores are dead. Can't hurt to wait a bit though and see if any tough little bastard survive. 

• Furthur1 and Salem like this

#3 Salem

Salem

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 37 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 03:25 PM

From my reading if the temperature was over 106 degrees spores are dead. Can't hurt to wait a bit though and see if any tough little bastard survive. 

Ah damn that's what I was afraid of. Oh well, I'll keep an eye on them just incase some did somehow survive.

Cheers for the reply.

Edited by Salem, 24 April 2019 - 03:25 PM.

#4 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 6,128 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 April 2019 - 06:55 PM

Out of curiosity, Did you use oven mitts or something to protect your hands from the heat? If you do get anything growing, please update us. We would love to know if you get any germination. Imagine if you could take a dirty syringe and kill the nasties with heat. 

• Salem and Dimitri2teachme like this

#5 Furthur1

Furthur1

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 198 posts

Posted 25 April 2019 - 01:07 AM

It's worth the wait. Hope something happens for ya.

Edited by Furthur1, 25 April 2019 - 01:08 AM.

• Salem likes this

#6 Salem

Salem

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 37 posts

Posted 27 April 2019 - 02:22 PM

Out of curiosity, Did you use oven mitts or something to protect your hands from the heat? If you do get anything growing, please update us. We would love to know if you get any germination. Imagine if you could take a dirty syringe and kill the nasties with heat. 

I used a small tea towel to protect my hands. I Will let you know if I see any signs of life :)

#7 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 6,128 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 April 2019 - 08:48 PM

I used a small tea towel to protect my hands. I Will let you know if I see any signs of life :)

If the grain is to hot for your hands I'm pretty sure that its to hot for spores. But I really can't say that from experience though, hot jars remind me that I want to wait til they are cool. I have never tried that or heard of anyone else doing it either until now. In this case I hope I'm wrong and your jars kick ass!

• Salem likes this

#8 Salem

Salem

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 37 posts

Posted 07 May 2019 - 11:23 AM

Just a quick update - no signs of life yet. I am pretty doubtful anything will grow but i'll continue to keep an eye on the jars.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!