- - - - -

Voodoo Tek Alive And Well

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_dgshroom_*

Guest_dgshroom_*

Posted 17 February 2005 - 09:30 PM

Hey all:

Just wanted to pass on that I am still having wonderful results from the Voodoo Tek. For me it is the only answer when using cakes, but it is clear everyone has their preferences. Specifically I am birthing cakes with no dunking. Drilling three 3/16" holes halfway into each cake through the top. Inserting three 2" drinking straws into the holes, to stop mycellium from growing over the holes. I then inject the straws with water daily using an old syringe.

The benefit I am seeing: 1) I am not finding it necessary to dunk, ever. The cakes are staying well hydrated throughout the grow life. 2) No significant flush cycles. Mushrooms have a more consistent grow pattern, offering up Food of the Gods more continuously.

The Disadvantage: Not too many. Takes time to inject the straws each day, but I find this is offset by the time saved not having to dunk and handle cakes so often. This may help keep sanitation in line as well, as every time cakes are removed and handled, contams are more likely.

Cakes eventually begin to turn up fewer and fewer fruit, and the fruit gets smaller for lack of nutrients. I then discard them.

Just want to pass this on in case anyone wants to give it a try. Hopefully it turns up good results for someone else as well.

Peace out,

Shura

#2 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 17 February 2005 - 09:35 PM

nice to know someone is using this,
it is effective.
got any pix ?

#3 sinthetic

sinthetic

i party like a rock star

• Expired Member
  • 872 posts

Posted 17 February 2005 - 09:39 PM

i wonder if i could do this to a strawlog or casing..... perhaps something worth trying

#4 Guest_dgshroom_*

Guest_dgshroom_*

Posted 18 February 2005 - 10:10 AM

I'll post pics when I get a chance. My landlord is touring my apartment today with the city inspector, so well ... you know how it is ... not a good day to be photographing the farm.

Shura

#5 Guest_phungi_*

Guest_phungi_*

Posted 18 February 2005 - 03:32 PM

I have been looking at this tech since I first started learning. I just thought about trying it out this time around because my bag of Verm is running thin at is kinda out of season right now. Hard to find. In fact I may just try it out with some of my cakes today.

DEC works and so does dunking, but I seem to be getting lazy latly. I am getting sick of all the work

#6 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 18 February 2005 - 03:33 PM

i think it works quite well for small scale, say a dozen cakes or so.

#7 Guest_dgshroom_*

Guest_dgshroom_*

Posted 18 February 2005 - 03:50 PM

i think it works quite well for small scale, say a dozen cakes or so.

Can you elaborate why you say this? I have found filling straws with a syringe only takes about two minutes or so per day. I used to use the dunk tek with verm casings on my cakes but found this took a lot of time and energy, and dunking usually put the cakes into dormancy for a few days until the myc recovered. Since I switched to Voodoo, I think I spend much less time overall, and no down time between flushes.

Shura

#8 Guest_dgshroom_*

Guest_dgshroom_*

Posted 18 February 2005 - 03:51 PM

And by the way, I've only ever had 20 cakes or less, so this is why I ask.

#9 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 18 February 2005 - 04:05 PM

And by the way, I've only ever had 20 cakes or less, so this is why I ask.

that's still a fairly small number, within the range of my meaning above
i just found it a bit burdensome when the number climbed into the 3-4 dozen+ range, then dunking seemed faster to me as i could dunk several at once

#10 Guest_dgshroom_*

Guest_dgshroom_*

Posted 18 February 2005 - 04:08 PM

phungi:

this is an interesting point, and obviously should be taken into account. If you are like me and have a small number, I definitely suggest you give it a try and see how it works for you. I will try to send up a pic when I have a chance, so you have a better idea of what I'm doing.

#11 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 18 February 2005 - 04:12 PM

that's still a fairly small number, within the range of my meaning above
i just found it a bit burdensome when the number climbed into the 3-4 dozen+ range, then dunking seemed faster to me as i could dunk several at once

Man, i couldn't agree more! And i only used 1 straw.

#12 elixir

elixir

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 126 posts

Posted 18 February 2005 - 04:21 PM

I know it might sound crazy but a small tubed drip system might work very well to automate this process. Lots of people do it for cannabis, so I think it should be relatively easy to implement.

#13 Guest_dgshroom_*

Guest_dgshroom_*

Posted 18 February 2005 - 04:47 PM

Automated processes are pretty cool. I've used a fresh air feed system on my setup before, using an air pump and timer control. The thing is, one still has to tend to the setup regularly to harvest, and monitor other aspects of the operation, like trich invasion etc., so even with an automated setup you can't really walk away from everything. But engineering grow ops sure is a fun thing to do.

#14 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 18 February 2005 - 04:52 PM

I had considered something like that. I had this idea to have a large resevoir for h20 that had 1 tube/tub. And then it split after it hit the tub. In other words, 1 tube to tub and then 6-8 tubes to cakes. I was going to put poly fill or something in the ends of the tubing for the cakes so it slowly fed them. Never got around to it, dunked'em. It's not all that stealth!!!

#15 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 27 May 2006 - 10:58 AM

see
http://archives.myco...s/5/142796.html

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#16 OZ

OZ

Mycotopiate

• Validating
  • 502 posts

Posted 27 May 2006 - 05:41 PM

using longer straws, wider straws = dont even need to refill every day, maybe every week.

#17 morg59

morg59

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 May 2006 - 07:48 PM

I want to try and keep this one PF style cake I have going as long as possible without doing any dunking. So I figured I would do the Voodoo tek and insert a plastic straw into the top of the cake so that I can feed liquid into the middle of the cake. The problem is that once the nutrients run out im done anyway. So I was wondering if anyone has ever done before or has any suggestions on going about fertilizing the cake. I figured I can just add something to the water that I squirt into the straw.

My first thought was doing a BRF and Water mixture ... anyone have any advice?

#18 loochypooch

loochypooch

Heavy Metal Drummer

• Expired Member
  • 719 posts

Posted 27 May 2006 - 08:39 PM

You couldn't feed much BRFR into a straw. Maybe you could mix a bit of karo or honey into the water...

I wonder if anyone has tried injecting honey water into the cake to rejuvinate it before? It does seem like if you wanted to resupply the nutrients that it would need to be distributed to the entire cake (i.e. multiple injection sites).

#19 morg59

morg59

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 May 2006 - 10:31 PM

My understanding is that the white threads that cover the cake were kind of like a nutrient highway that transported absorbed nutrients to the fruit. If that is true couldnt the nutrients be constantly fed into the center of the cake and have fruiting continue indefinately? Perhaps mix up something with water, sterilize it, then put it in a IV style drip bag and give the cake a constant supply?

I am prob way off... but please correct me if I am wrong.

#20 BuckarooBanzai

BuckarooBanzai

The Abe Vigoda of Mycotopia

• 8,968 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 May 2006 - 10:37 PM

The problem is that the sugar water injection (or straw) becomes an avenue for contaminants to take hold. Colonized cakes are pretty resistant to contamination.

Sugar water is food for any nasties that touch it.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!