30 replies to this topic

#1 Ocitown

Ocitown

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 27 posts

Posted 26 April 2019 - 11:44 AM

I have a few questions if I may ask
1.The Vermiculite I used is called Professional Grade “Vermiculita Caridad Profesional” which is extremely fine,any input in this would be great good or bad.

2.This tech gives an option to add a heat bomb in a closed chamber to keep an 80° consistent temp(it also said to keep the foil off in this stage because the jars need air to live)
The room I’m using is 70-80 day and night and does have indirect lighting from windows,the jars are on top of the chamber for now.
Is this acceptable for mycelium growth?

3.Once ready to fruit would a heat mat or a heat bomb be better?
I have a grow mat and a strong clear gallon container but no heater at this time.

Thanx for any support.
Oci

Edited by Ocitown, 26 April 2019 - 11:45 AM.

#2 roc

roc

Forum International Moderator

• 7,865 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 April 2019 - 03:00 PM

You will need a medium to coarse vermiculite. I just got some of what you described from Amazon and hat the powdery fine crap.

Ignore the need for an incubator heater under the conditions you describe. A cold winter room under 65 would be another story.

I always left the foil on my jars until they were close to colonized. I'd kind of loosen it a bit about half way. The foil makes a great dust cap.

Forget the heat mat altogether. Just simply not needed if you have a room 70 degrees. 65-75 is ideal but they'll do fine in this range.

Edited by roc, 26 April 2019 - 03:03 PM.

• PJammer24 and Ocitown like this

#3 Ocitown

Ocitown

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 27 posts

Posted 26 April 2019 - 10:35 PM

You will need a medium to coarse vermiculite. I just got some of what you described from Amazon and hat the powdery fine crap.

Ignore the need for an incubator heater under the conditions you describe. A cold winter room under 65 would be another story.
I always left the foil on my jars until they were close to colonized. I'd kind of loosen it a bit about half way. The foil makes a great dust cap.

Forget the heat mat altogether. Just simply not needed if you have a room 70 degrees. 65-75 is ideal but they'll do fine in this range.

So should I abort this one?
I used about half of one spore syringe with the super fine verm.

#4 roc

roc

Forum International Moderator

• 7,865 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 April 2019 - 04:58 AM

Go ahead and give it a try. I did it in a bulk grow and it worked.
In your case it may just be a little slow to colonize especially if it was packed down tight.
Hopefully it'll work and you won't take a loss on the spores.

• PJammer24 likes this

#5 Ocitown

Ocitown

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 27 posts

Posted 27 April 2019 - 07:05 AM

Go ahead and give it a try. I did it in a bulk grow and it worked.
In your case it may just be a little slow to colonize especially if it was packed down tight.
Hopefully it'll work and you won't take a loss on the spores.

A slight tapa tap on a towel but nothing real packed......I’ll give a try.

Thank you!
  • roc likes this

#6 Ocitown

Ocitown

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 27 posts

Posted 05 May 2019 - 02:13 PM

Nine days now and and most of the areas are nickel to quarter sized mycelium growths,all white and slow growing which sounds like they are off to a good start.
Reading conflicting info about incubation and ambient light vs darkness?

I do have a little heat mat under the jars and now they are in a cabinet with very little light.
  • joeya likes this

#7 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,433 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 May 2019 - 05:59 PM

Light or no light doesn't really matter. Heat mats are a bad idea. Incubation isn't neccesary as long as the temperature is over 70. If you do, you want to heat the room, closet, container etc. No direct heat to the jars.
  • ilikethings and clumsy like this

#8 bezevo

bezevo

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 636 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 May 2019 - 08:17 PM

i bought a GIGANTIC Bag of verm lited as c,ourse , CHEAP  on Amazoon ........i'

would call it medium with a few big chunks super cheap ..............i am happy

Edited by bezevo, 05 May 2019 - 08:17 PM.

• roc and Juthro like this

#9 Ocitown

Ocitown

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 27 posts

Posted 06 May 2019 - 08:04 AM

Light or no light doesn't really matter. Heat mats are a bad idea. Incubation isn't neccesary as long as the temperature is over 70. If you do, you want to heat the room, closet, container etc. No direct heat to the jars.

Night temps in that room are right at 70°,my remote temp gauge was showing 82- 87° the last 24 hours and after reading your post I went and laser tempt the bottom of the jars(they were 95°).
So I added a piece of plywood to insulate and will check ambient temps later today.
The mycelium that was there nearly doubled in the 20 hours the jars were in contact with the heat mat.

#10 Ocitown

Ocitown

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 27 posts

Posted 06 May 2019 - 08:06 AM

i bought a GIGANTIC Bag of verm lited as c,ourse , CHEAP  on Amazoon ........i'
 would call it medium with a few big chunks super cheap ..............i am happy

How about the link or a description please?

#11 bezevo

bezevo

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 636 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 May 2019 - 10:51 AM

Here is how you do it .......It's easy...........OK  go to Amazon find the search bar ...put in vermiculite .................boom lots  of choices pop  up ! pick the biggest cheapest bag especially if  it has free shipping or if you have PRIME .

good luck !

ok ok an additional tip .book mark your choice , if you keep looking at and not buying or even put in shopping cart then put in save for later a few times

sometimes just sometimes Amazon notices and offers it to you even cheaper or discounted as an add on ect ...

doesn't always work but sometimes you get a cheaper deal .

again good luck .

Edited by bezevo, 07 May 2019 - 10:53 AM.

• Juthro and Ocitown like this

#12 Ocitown

Ocitown

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 27 posts

Posted 09 May 2019 - 05:35 PM

[quote name="bezevo" post="1405015" timestamp="1557244269"]Here is how you do it .......It's easy...........OK  go to Amazon find the search bar ...put in vermiculite .................boom lots  of choices pop  up ! pick the biggest cheapest bag especially if  it has free shipping or if you have PRIME .
 T
good luck !

ok ok an additional tip .book mark your choice , if you keep looking at and not buying or even put in shopping cart then put in save for later a few times
sometimes just sometimes Amazon notices and offers it to you even cheaper or discounted as an add on ect ...

doesn't always work but sometimes you get a cheaper deal .

Hahaha,was thinking there was a specific brand which was a larger size,I do have Prime and shop a lot....thanx for the $ tip.
 I have the 4 cf bag of perlite because we grow veggies but a huge bag of verm is just not practical so my other option is a $7/8 quart bag from MG at a big box.

I sift my perlite with my worm casting sifter and save the larger consistent size for when I fruit and the rest goes into soils.

Thanx a bunch!

#13 bezevo

bezevo

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 636 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 May 2019 - 12:08 PM

i also got giant bag of perlite  shiped to me from amazon

Edited by bezevo, 10 May 2019 - 12:09 PM.

#14 clumsy

clumsy

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 27 posts

Posted 10 May 2019 - 12:41 PM

I get my (Vigoro) coarse vermiculite from a local Home Depot. It has worked great as a component of BRF cakes.

#15 Ocitown

Ocitown

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 27 posts

Posted 25 May 2019 - 11:14 AM

Yesterday was four full weeks and most half pint jars are only 1/2 colonized and a couple are only 1/3rd.

Should I just be patient OR rinse and soak and fruit them now?

They still look nice and white and are in a cabinet at 75° .

Edited by Ocitown, 25 May 2019 - 11:15 AM.

#16 joeya

joeya

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 303 posts

Posted 25 May 2019 - 11:25 AM

Let them keep colonizing until they develop pins. I started 10 cakes a few months ago, the two most advanced are now on their second flush, while the two least advanced are still just colonizing. There's no rushing them, they go at their own pace. 

#17 Ocitown

Ocitown

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 27 posts

Posted 25 May 2019 - 12:20 PM

Let them keep colonizing until they develop pins. I started 10 cakes a few months ago, the two most advanced are now on their second flush, while the two least advanced are still just colonizing. There's no rushing them, they go at their own pace.

So it may take even two months and this is ok?

If so I will gladly wait.

#18 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,433 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 May 2019 - 12:57 PM

Healthy and slow is fine. Watch for pinning. If they start pinning before fully colonized, then you'll want to birth.

#19 joeya

joeya

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 303 posts

Posted 25 May 2019 - 01:08 PM

Yes, just wait. Two months if that's what they take, or maybe longer. As jkd wrote above, it's about when they show pins. In fact, he wrote once in a thread of mine some of the best advice to share, paraphrased; There is no need to birth a cake before you see a pin, and when a pin appears, there is no need to keep from birthing a cake. 

• ilikethings likes this

#20 Ocitown

Ocitown

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 27 posts

Posted 25 May 2019 - 01:37 PM

Healthy and slow is fine. Watch for pinning. If they start pinning before fully colonized, then you'll want to birth.

Very cool,I was under some impression they should have been filled in three weeks and another week for them to get solid.

Will just be patient and watch for pins now,I have them in a cabinet which is mostly dark with a little heat mat under a piece of plywood to keep night temps constant as the day,which is mid to upper 70’s.

Thanx guys!!!
  • ElPirana likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!