57 replies to this topic

#1 HrVanker

HrVanker

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 312 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 May 2019 - 08:50 PM

I've had a syringe of PE-U and one of A+ that have been sitting at room temp for almost 2yrs now. It looked like some spores had germinated at some point, and I wanted to start another project.

So being very lazy, and utilizing what I had, I made up a bunch of pint and quart jars. I took some half-composted straw, stuffed it in a gal jar, added pickling lime, covered with boiling water, and drained after a good 30min soak.

The jars I used had been sitting in my PC for a while, still covered with bits of old verm and myc from my last grow. I simply stuffed them with straw, not too much not too little, snipped the pieces sticking out of the jars, and added some dry rice to help balance the moisture.

After PC'ing for 90min, the jars cooled for 24hrs, and were 'nocced up with the two syringes. A+ in the qt jars, PE-U in the pint jars.

My plan is to spawn some to our flower bed that was top-dressed with straw and composted manure all winter. I plan on layering spawn with more manure and cardboard.

2 days after inoculation, I think I can see some fresh mycelial growth. But I'm going to give them another few days before I peek again.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20190501_034836.jpg

Edited by HrVanker, 04 May 2019 - 08:51 PM.

#2 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,427 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 May 2019 - 10:20 PM

That most likely will fail. The spores may have been old, but you still should have followed a proper tek.

#3 HrVanker

HrVanker

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 312 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 May 2019 - 10:34 PM

That most likely will fail. The spores may have been old, but you still should have followed a proper tek.

That's ok, I am just trying something out.

I am curious as to what makes you think it will fail, aside from not following a tek.

Edited by HrVanker, 04 May 2019 - 10:56 PM.

#4 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 04 May 2019 - 10:57 PM

So some of the spores germinated in the water in the syringe? Hmm, it would really be something if there was any live strands of myc, just enough to take hold in the jars, doubt it but it'd be cool. Or if some live spores were left, that'd be cool.

Edited by Billcoz, 04 May 2019 - 10:59 PM.

• HrVanker likes this

#5 HrVanker

HrVanker

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 312 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 May 2019 - 10:59 PM

So some of the spores germinated in the water in the syringe? Hmm, it would really be something if there was any live strands of myc, just enough to

My hope is really that some of the spores did not germinate in the syringe, and will for whatever reason germinate now.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
  • Billcoz likes this

#6 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,427 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 May 2019 - 11:05 PM

Not enough nutrition. Rice may save you. But if you have growth in two days its not cube myc.
  • HrVanker likes this

#7 HrVanker

HrVanker

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 312 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 May 2019 - 11:10 PM

Not enough nutrition. Rice may save you. But if you have growth in two days its not cube myc.

I'm fairly certain that the straw will have plenty of nutrients for the myc. It's been exposed all winter, collecting bugs, snakeskin, bacteria, weeds, etc. It will be enough to start.

It is difficult to discern what may be new growth, and what is leftover mycelium from my last grow. I didn't bother to clean the jars.

#8 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 05 May 2019 - 03:58 AM

Snakeskin huh? 

• HrVanker likes this

#9 HrVanker

HrVanker

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 312 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 May 2019 - 11:01 AM

Snakeskin huh?

Right before I poured the boiling water over the straw I noticed the snakeskin in the gallon jar. I haven't seen it in the smaller jars, but it's there somewhere.

• Billcoz likes this

#10 Ripples

Ripples

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,473 posts

Posted 05 May 2019 - 07:51 PM

Have you any experience with snakeskin?

• HrVanker likes this

#11 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 05 May 2019 - 11:28 PM

I have a red tail boa that sheds, but never had any in my spawn jars lol.

#12 HrVanker

HrVanker

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 312 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 May 2019 - 11:39 PM

I have a red tail boa that sheds, but never had any in my spawn jars lol.
If these jars pan out, I'll see if I can find the snake skin while I'm spawning them and take some pics. I assume that the proteins in it are somewhat useful to the mycelium.

Edited by HrVanker, 05 May 2019 - 11:40 PM.

• Billcoz likes this

#13 HrVanker

HrVanker

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 312 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 May 2019 - 12:19 PM

Ok, I did a thing with my other thing...

After more than a week, my jars showed 0 signs of growth. I chalked it up to old syringes, and ordered a new GT syringe just for fun.

I inoculated these jars for a second time. I didn't add any water, I didn't re-PC the jars. I also didn't use a glovebox or STB. Just open air with plenty of ISO on hand.

5 or 6 days later, almost every jar is showing signs of growth. The first pic is of the 1st jar to show growth. At first the myc in that area was pretty sparse and gray looking. I was worried that it was cobweb, but it's started to thicken up and is very apparently white.
65d7bc2d85d5bbfeb01f67868fa1021b.jpg

Looking at these jars for growth, I notice something interesting: As Jkdeth mentioned: it appears that the myc prefers the rice to the straw. The straw will support myc, but when the hyphae reach something with a higher nutrient density, the myc explodes.
49c366b34c3164709711159bef4e30e2.jpg
f4fd3ad0e68dc818a3a3a1e94e4140ed.jpg

As time goes on, I'll be interested to see how these jars colonize. As I mentioned above, this straw was sitting exposed for 6mo or more. There is a lot more than just straw in there. One jar has a dead moth in it, somewhere there is some snakeskin, and who knows what else!

Enjoy the pics!9187e70a835d4c86d45688ecfca6c49b.jpg01885486f9462e67e5465c36eab15838.jpgf6a0ff35a981eff6d298d0a323ed48e8.jpg

Edited by HrVanker, 22 May 2019 - 01:04 PM.

#14 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,219 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 May 2019 - 02:40 PM

I'm fairly certain that the straw will have plenty of nutrients for the myc. It's been exposed all winter, collecting bugs, snakeskin, bacteria, weeds, etc. It will be enough to start.

It is difficult to discern what may be new growth, and what is leftover mycelium from my last grow. I didn't bother to clean the jars.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tap

If oyu get that to colonize without contamination, I will literally eat my shorts...

Edited by PJammer24, 22 May 2019 - 02:41 PM.

• HrVanker, mad420pumpkinz, Boebs and 1 other like this

#15 HrVanker

HrVanker

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 312 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 May 2019 - 03:04 PM

The straw has enough nutrients to sustain a mycelium colony that has been started on a more nutritious substrate but without a properly hydrated, sterile, highly nutritious spawn (grain), The spores will likely never get rolling... You will likely find competing spores to have more success in that mixture than the cubes...

This project is more of a lazy Frankenstein experiment on a whim. Whether these jars fail or not, I'm going to have fun watching their development, and tweaking my process as I go. However I do have hope that it will help me develop an easy outdoor bed tek w/o using grains. Obviously I did use some rice, but I don't think the squirrels will notice it.

My current revisions to the process would be to use a straw (or coir) and composted manure mixture, no rice. Proper hydration is key, and I was lazy this time. That's why some jars are much more wet than others. A good hour in a strainer or pillowcase should do the trick. The composted manure would be used as a "core" surrounded by hydrated straw... as far as hydrating manure? I'd play that by ear, depending on the bag.

One thing I do like about the straw, is that it retains a lot of oxygen. Also the hyphae are "piped" to all different points of the jar by growing through the straw.

#16 HrVanker

HrVanker

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 312 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 May 2019 - 03:09 PM

Btw, is @CatsAndBats still around? I'm surprised they haven't popped in yet.

Edited by HrVanker, 22 May 2019 - 03:11 PM.

• CatsAndBats and MsBehavin420 like this

#17 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,427 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 May 2019 - 03:26 PM

Dude have fun with it. Just know its nothing new. A lot of work for something known to fail. You won't get a bed without grain spawn. You might do it with wood lovers, but even those are better with grain spawn or supplemented wood at least.

Grain has more nutrients than an equal amount of manure.
  • PJammer24 and HrVanker like this

#18 MsBehavin420

MsBehavin420

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 902 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 09:05 AM

I've spawned to straw bales from spent cakes... but yielded only 1 mushie..that gotnesten by a squirrel little jerk

#19 HrVanker

HrVanker

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 312 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 May 2019 - 07:02 PM

I've spawned to straw bales from spent cakes... but yielded only 1 mushie..that gotnesten by a squirrel little jerk

As some others pointed out mushrooms do better colonizing something, like straw or coir, after having colonized a nutritional substrate. Otherwise it's probably along the nutritional lines of agar.

#20 HrVanker

HrVanker

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 312 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 May 2019 - 11:53 PM

Okay, 5 days since the last update. I'm pleased to announce that most of the jars are doing quite well!

4 of the pints are 35-45% colonized. Two top performing pints are closer to 60%.

4 of the quart jars are 25-35% colonized. It looks like I didn't angle the needle in one jar, so it's colonizing in the center. It's now staring to peek out on different points up to half way down the jar. The other looks to be lagging severely, I believe that it got the least amount of spores.

I'm really stoned, a buddy gave me some ridiculous chex mix from his stoner friend. I think it was 2 doses, still going up.

Edit: the black specks are old verm flakes.

Pics coming tomorrow. Here's a preview:6dc64c710a4140429a07581c53a27b93.jpg3d2c9d82f6d184508645944be646eb10.jpg2fcdcf17bc0a2dd8a00175f92323d82a.jpg6ab98def234c7bc3866d0a6887c68bfa.jpg

Edited by HrVanker, 27 May 2019 - 01:08 AM.

• CatsAndBats and Salty117 like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!