289 replies to this topic

#241 OldAndMiserable

OldAndMiserable

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 366 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 July 2019 - 09:15 AM

OK! Inspiration has come, and I need some feedback!

I have a 3 drawer storage unit, like this one:

49f0546e87a5928dc401353f1d74df64.jpg

and while looking thru various posts and such about casings, monotubs and the like, as well as searching thru the garage for any tubs I could use, I came across the storage unit in the corner; a light came on in my head and I immediately began formulating ways to make use of it. So here's my plan:

-I have 6 cakes cut in half in the FC. I would take 4 halves, crumble them up and layer them across the bottom of each drawer.

-I would then cook up 12 jars of BRF mix, and once they cooled, I would break them apart and spread them across the tops of the crumbled cakes (4 per drawer)

This would give me a ratio of 2 BRF cakes for 1 already spawned cake, which should be an excellent amount!

However, since I have left the cakes in the chamber, they have begun producing again; while the are close to being ready for picking (probably by tomorrow they should all be opened up, unless I can pick early?), I did notice this on one of them this morning...

20190716_095708.jpg

Seems I may be down a half cake, but that shouldn't be a problem.

What do you all think? Taking ideas from other posts and whatnot, I will be poking a bunch of holes in the drawers for FAE, and closing off the tops of them with taped down plastic wrap (with holes) to hold in some moisture/humidity.

Questions:

1) I've read in other posts that people have used just plain vermiculite to spawn to rather than doing up more cake mix; can I do that? It would be easier than cooking up a lot of mix...

2) With enough holes, the air exchange should be fine, as mentioned by joeya. Can anyone offer any advice on how many holes and what placement I should do?

3) Does anyone have any estimations on how quickly this would grow to fruition? Since I will be away all next week, I don't want to come home to a loss...

4) Can anyone offer any suggestions of things I haven't thought of?

• joeya likes this

#242 OldAndMiserable

OldAndMiserable

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 366 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 July 2019 - 12:59 PM

So I got holes drilled into the drawers, got some mix made up for the casing (1 batch of crushed peanut shells and verm, 1 batch of coco coir and verm), and in about an hour, I'll be getting my cakes from the dunk and prepping them for more growing... 

Which is good, because I think the first bunch I picked have gone bad... I had the bunch from the earlier pictures pretty dried while in front of the fan, so I transferred them to a tote with some of the moisture eliminator things I talked about earlier to crisp them up, covered by paper towel, and I placed some of the new growth mushrooms on that paper towel to dry them out in the same tub. Well, I probably should have dried the new ones with the fan first, because now everything is soggy again... 

Guess I am back to the start again... Here's hoping this next flush grows in thick! 

Does anyone have any examples of what to look for in bad mushrooms? Here's some pics. They have a bread-like smell, as well.

20190718_133255.jpg

This is both batches - newer on top and first picks underneath

20190718_133309.jpg

Close up of the first picks

20190718_134453.jpg

Here's the first picks spread out in front of the fan again, in the hopes that they are not spoiled and just need to be dried out again

Hope to hear from you all soon!

Edited by OldAndMiserable, 18 July 2019 - 01:00 PM.

• joeya likes this

#243 joeya

joeya

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 477 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 02:16 PM

I hope you didn't wreck your first flush! Honestly, you're probably okay. I had some in the freezer that turned a funky color and when I thawed them, it turned out they weren't as dry as I had thought. I put them in a container with a drying agent and then ate them yesterday. Flavor was normal, effect was there, and I'm still here today!

• OldAndMiserable likes this

#244 OldAndMiserable

OldAndMiserable

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 366 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 July 2019 - 05:20 PM

Thank you! I was so worried all day!!! 

As I mentioned, I have them out in front of the fan again (been there for about 5 or so hours now) and they seem to be drying out pretty well. I have the newer mushrooms in the tub with the dryers, but I will probably wind up swapping them around; the ones in the tub would probably be better off in front of the fan anyway, since they are fresher.

Oh! Wanna see the finished project?

20190718_180844.jpg

Pay no attention to the dog dish on the top :P  My pup has a stomach bug, and we have to be careful with her food intake, so I have her dish out of reach for now.

20190718_180858.jpg

Here we have the peanut shells and vermiculite

20190718_180916.jpg

And here is the coco coir and vermiculite

The 2 drawers have 10 holes on the front and back, and 14 holes on each of the sides. I misted them before taping saran wrap across the tops.

What do you all think?

Edited by OldAndMiserable, 18 July 2019 - 05:22 PM.

• joeya likes this

#245 RedHighHeels

RedHighHeels

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 18 posts

Posted 22 July 2019 - 06:23 PM

Is there potential for contamination from the puppers bowl? I like the idea of this set up but im a beginner and know nothing. I want to say great job on the photos, so many I see are blurry and too dark. Good Luck to you and keep sharing.

#246 OldAndMiserable

OldAndMiserable

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 366 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 July 2019 - 07:16 PM

Back from vacation! Had a huge amount of fun with the wife: took in the sights of some provincial parks, did a bunch of shopping and sightseeing... SO fun! I am so happy to be home, tho... missed my dog so much!!!

Thanks for the comment, RedHighHeels! The dog dish was only up there for a short amount of time; I had thought about the possibility of contamination, as well, and moved the bowl posthaste (pretty much that day). Sadly, however, contams took over the peanut shell drawer anyway.... Lots of green on the top. The coir drawer (poet skills at work!) is growing fine, tho! Got some friends poking up thru the coir, which makes me so very happy!!! I'll snap some pics tomorrow!

Thinking about starting up the dosing again. It's been a while since I did it, and I feel I should get back to it. We'll see what the future holds!!

Edited by OldAndMiserable, 27 July 2019 - 07:17 PM.

• joeya and Moonless like this

#247 OldAndMiserable

OldAndMiserable

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 366 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 July 2019 - 10:12 AM

Picture day!

20190728_081522.jpg

Not a ton of growth, but I'm happy with what is going on! I've plucked the big one in the pic, since it was spread open, and it's drying with the fan.

One thing I was wondering is ... what do I do about this?

20190728_081544.jpg

I wanna pick the growth on the bottom, but I don't want to mess up the setup. Any suggestions?

#248 TTT

TTT

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 27 posts

Posted 28 July 2019 - 04:57 PM

Good for you for seeking a natural path to wellness. Bet you would get a lot out of a 3-5 gram trip. I am interested in microdosing but for me the real healing began when I met my future self on a rather large dose of mutant penis envy mushies.

#249 OldAndMiserable

OldAndMiserable

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 366 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 July 2019 - 06:20 PM

Thanks for the comment, TTT!

I hear from a lot of people that the bigger dose is the way to go. As I have mentioned, in this thread as well as others, I am definitely not against the big time, but I have to work up to that. I am becoming more comfortable with the medicine, so it won't be long before I am on my big healing trip! 

Rest assured, my trip will definitely be talked about on this site! Stay tuned!

• TTT likes this

#250 TTT

TTT

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 27 posts

Posted 28 July 2019 - 06:37 PM

Haha. The fear. I had not eaten mushrooms for a good long while. I recently started d growing again..... the other day I ate a handful of small aborts. I started d tripping more than I had counted on.... got all scared and and panicked.... and for min thought I should trash my grow. :) All. In. Your. Mind.

#251 OldAndMiserable

OldAndMiserable

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 366 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 July 2019 - 07:24 PM

It is all in my head; I agree. It's just a matter of accepting that and getting past it, and I am. I am more ready than I ever have been - I am just waiting to have everything set up for it. Gotta get my Set and Setting ready.

Soon, all will be ready!

• joeya likes this

#252 joeya

joeya

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 477 posts

Posted 28 July 2019 - 07:30 PM

Welcome home, hope you had a good vacation! Those pins look like tapeworms! I think I'd have trouble eating them!  Speaking of which, I'm off to try my Costa Rica harvest, let's see if there is any potency in that strain!

#253 OldAndMiserable

OldAndMiserable

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 366 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 July 2019 - 08:02 PM

Thanks, joeya!

Any ideas on how to fish out the growths from the bottom? :P

#254 joeya

joeya

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 477 posts

Posted 28 July 2019 - 08:08 PM

I really don't know, I haven't come up against that yet. I've seen others show pics of them, but I don't recall if anyone fished them out or not. 

And, I'm starting to feel a lift from my Costa Ricans!

#255 OldAndMiserable

OldAndMiserable

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 366 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 July 2019 - 11:04 PM

Hope you enjoyed yourself! Feel free to tell us about it!

• joeya likes this

#256 joeya

joeya

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 477 posts

Posted 28 July 2019 - 11:12 PM

Hope you enjoyed yourself! Feel free to tell us about it!

I did post it in my thread about the Costa Rica strain. In short, it was a very subdued experience. I would have to say it is a good beginner strain. It was very easy to grow, but is not very powerful. The visuals were interesting, but not overpowering. 

#257 OldAndMiserable

OldAndMiserable

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 366 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 July 2019 - 08:21 AM

Finally got the first flush weighed, and it came out to 19.6 grams! I'm so very happy!!! 

I also emptied the coir drawer into a big clean bowl and removed the mushrooms from the bottom; got them in front of the fan :) I did all I could to keep things super clean (did the work in a small sterilized bathroom, washed everything before working, etc.). I then broke up the mycelium and mixed it up with the coir; can't wait to see what happens!!!

• joeya likes this

#258 joeya

joeya

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 477 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 08:05 PM

So what has happened? Seeing any new growth yet?

#259 OldAndMiserable

OldAndMiserable

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 366 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 August 2019 - 09:47 PM

Sorry for the lack of updates! Life has had me busy the past few days.

Sadly, the coir drawer has gone the way of the green... I had to dispose of it. But even tho I had that happen, I still consider my grow a super success! With 20 grams crispy dry and ready for anything, I am so very pleased!!! 

I've been doing so much more learning about the mushroom, and have recently began listening to talks done my Michael Pollan. This man is so incredibly knowledgeable in the field of psychedelics, and his work with The Johns Hopkins Hospital, among others, is very inspirational. I've grown much more brave when it comes to my big dose, so it's only a matter of time till all the pieces fall into place and I get the chance to go deep.

Fingers crossed!!!

• joeya likes this

#260 joeya

joeya

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 477 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 10:17 PM

Sorry to hear you got bit by the green monster, but glad you got the yield you did first!

Sounds like life is definitely on the upswing for you anyway. I think you will find that when you cross that first big dose barrier, your hesitation will fall away quickly. I've been enjoying re-acclimating to the high and the trip a few times. I've introduced a few friends to it along the way also. One of them is someone who does not like weed, she gets too high. She enjoys the heck out of a three gram mushroom afternoon though!

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!