Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

Consolidation indicators. What would you do?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 levicah

levicah

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 47 posts

Posted 07 May 2019 - 07:57 PM

My first cube cake endeavor...11 jars. 4 filled out a few days ago, 3 more just filled in, 4 have 1 small patch of substrate showing. Now, is a week consolidation period just to insure full colonization?? I am 26 days out from nocking with MS.

Here is the thing. A newb thing. At one point, temps ran as high as 87 f. It dawned on me, that is surface temp. meaning the cores of the jars got even hotter through natural break down. I also noticed the mycelium shifted from solid white to a wispy, translucent white and growth slowed. I dropped temps to 75f max.

Assuming I may have "injured" the mycelium, I am at a loss as to time lines and what to expect. Some say dont even bother birthing them until it is obvious that pins are wanting to form. Is this true?? I also want them to be solidly white like the great pictures I have seen.  I'm at 26 days from a MS nock. Should I just birth them based on the 26 days? 

So, If the jars are covered in mycelium, am I to assume full colonization, even though the growth seems thin to me? One more... consolidating does not involve any changes in parameters or does it?? Sorry for the long post. Thanks for any input!!

#2 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,433 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 May 2019 - 09:19 PM

There is no time line. Birth when they pin.
  • coorsmikey likes this

#3 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 6,128 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 May 2019 - 01:13 AM

There is no time line. Birth when they pin.

While I mostly agree with this, I have to add that there is a time to throw in the towel at some point and call it quits. At least a last ditch effort to try a fruit them even if they dont pin in the jars. To back up what JKD is saying though, I have seen more cake fail due to premature force fruiting than waiting til they are ready. 

• Coopdog and levicah like this

#4 Coopdog

Coopdog

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,606 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 May 2019 - 03:11 AM

CoorsMikey I have some that are way old, not moldy and just won't ever do anything. I will toss them tomorrow lol. Thanks for that

#5 roc

roc

Forum International Moderator

• 7,865 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 May 2019 - 04:34 AM

CoorsMikey I have some that are way old, not moldy and just won't ever do anything. I will toss them tomorrow lol. Thanks for that

One could try to use them outdoors or for spawn.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!