• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 el_ronhub_bird

el_ronhub_bird

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 305 posts

Posted 08 May 2019 - 07:27 PM

Here's an awesome lid design that I've been using for years. Note the bubble on the SHIP for bullseye accuracy with a syringe. The center piece is a syringe cap with the tip cut off to make it into a straw. Then it was stuffed with polyphil and siliconed into place. This lid can easily withstand vigorous swirling, it doesn't even matter if the inside tip gets wet. Pretty much you just can't hold the jar upside down

Attached Thumbnails

• 20190508_201559.jpg
  • 20190508_201351.jpg

• Billcoz likes this

#2 Seeker2be

Seeker2be

Seeking Lost Horizons

• OG VIP
  • 1,337 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 May 2019 - 08:01 PM

Good idea.  Innovation never ceases to amaze me. You put the needle through the polyfill?

Edited by Seeker2be, 08 May 2019 - 08:02 PM.

• coorsmikey likes this

#3 el_ronhub_bird

el_ronhub_bird

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 305 posts

Posted 08 May 2019 - 09:00 PM

Nope the needle gets pushed through the red bubble of rtv silicone which squeezes back closed when you pull the needle out. SHIP stands for Self Healing Inoculation Port. When the silicone is still pliable, I push lightly from the underside to make a bump (bubble) which perfectly marks the inoculation point. The polyphil is for filtration and air exchange
  • Seeker2be likes this

#4 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 08 May 2019 - 11:11 PM

Nice lid design el_ronhub. I made one sorta like that. I used a 4" piece of aluminum tube like this-147777%5B5%5D.jpgwith a glob of RTV silicone in there and a tyvec filter glued on another hole. I had it so that I would insert into the tube to draw from the bottom. I can aspirate with it to break the myc up. It is not the greatest because air is sucked in through the filter patch. I used it once and it didn't contam, so I feel like the filter is sufficient to keep shit out even though air sucks through it. I will put on a fresh tyvec patch before the next use.

Edited by Billcoz, 08 May 2019 - 11:12 PM.

#5 el_ronhub_bird

el_ronhub_bird

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 305 posts

Posted 09 May 2019 - 10:44 AM

Just in case anyone does use this design, just make sure you cover the polyphil with foil while pressure cooking so it doesn't get wet

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!