• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 DBCMushie

DBCMushie

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 48 posts

Posted 09 May 2019 - 09:03 AM

So I’ve been having trouble getting spawn bags to colonize. Four to be exact. I even bought from another source and still no luck. In the past I haven’t had any problems with spawn bags. I just inoculated 3 24 oz jars of grains and two bags. There jars are taking off and the bags smell funny again. What could be going on with the bags? I use the oven door method when I inoculate and I make the best sterile environment that I possibly can in fact my sterilization practices are way better now than when I got my first three bags to colonize. I welcome any and all advice.

Edited by DBCMushie, 09 May 2019 - 09:12 AM.

#2 DBCMushie

DBCMushie

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 48 posts

Posted 09 May 2019 - 09:09 AM

So I’ve been having trouble getting spawn bags to colonize. Four to be exact. I even bought from another source and still no luck. In the past I haven’t had any problems with spawn bags. I just inoculated 3 24 oz jars of grains and two bags. There jars are taking off and the bags smell funny again. What could be going on with the bags? I use the oven door method when I inoculate and I make the best sterile environment that I possibly can I face my sterilization practices are way better now than when I got my first three bags to colonize. I welcome any and all advice.

in fact not in face.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by DBCMushie, 09 May 2019 - 09:21 AM.

#3 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,149 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 May 2019 - 10:33 AM

First off skip the oven door thing. It creates a draft in the part of the room with the highest spore load. (Below counter height, the air could have twice as much spore load as above.) I'm afraid that's one tel that should have been long retired.

That said, if jars are fine, bags bad, that indicates the bags were too wet, poorly sterilized or both.

Do analyze your method though, is there any thing at all you do different when innoculating the bags?
  • DBCMushie likes this

#4 DBCMushie

DBCMushie

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 48 posts

Posted 09 May 2019 - 03:48 PM

First off skip the oven door thing. It creates a draft in the part of the room with the highest spore load. (Below counter height, the air could have twice as much spore load as above.) I'm afraid that's one tel that should have been long retired.

That said, if jars are fine, bags bad, that indicates the bags were too wet, poorly sterilized or both.

Do analyze your method though, is there any thing at all you do different when innoculating the bags?

nothing different. As a matter of fact, I inoculated two bags and three jars Friday. Bags with KSSS and jars with ATL Galindoi. Bags stink and jars are going great.
It’s the first time I’ve used jars. I always go bulk and the bags seemed to make the most sense but as of now I’ve wasted a bit of money trying to get the last few bags to colonize. First I thought it was the bags then I thought maybe I got bad syringes. The spore depot sent me new syringes of thee difference strains at no cost and still the bags are bunk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#5 roc

roc

Forum International Moderator

• 7,452 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 May 2019 - 07:54 PM

If you are buying pre-made bags and jars you have no control over the moisture content.

The bags may have been on the wet side and bacteria set in.

If the jars worked and the bags failed I would tend to think the syringe was good.

• DBCMushie likes this

#6 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,149 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 May 2019 - 07:55 PM

What do they actually smell like?

#7 DBCMushie

DBCMushie

Mycophiliac