• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 justinianIIII

justinianIIII

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 14 posts

Posted 09 May 2019 - 04:26 PM

I have two 5-grain spawn bags that have been colonizing for 30 days. For the last 4-5 days there hasn't been much progress. The substrate feels like a solid brick, but there are still exposed cracks where the mycelia has not fully encapsulated the substrate.  Do you think it will ever happen? Would it be a bad idea transfer go to a bulk casing? Should I wait it out? Thanks!

20190509_165041556_iOS.jpg 20190509_165056254_iOS.jpg 20190509_165111214_iOS.jpg 20190509_165124247_iOS.jpg

Edited by justinianIIII, 09 May 2019 - 04:35 PM.

#2 vertygo

vertygo

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 29 posts

Posted 09 May 2019 - 04:45 PM

Looks bacterial to me, sorry.

• Billcoz likes this

#3 justinianIIII

justinianIIII

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 14 posts

Posted 09 May 2019 - 04:54 PM

Apparently the 5-grain spawn bags from non-sponsor vendor are more wet than rye bags. I've seen a lot of posts saying that a yellowish liquid is somewhat normal. They smell great too. So, I don't think it's bacterial.

#4 el_ronhub_bird

el_ronhub_bird

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 243 posts

Posted 09 May 2019 - 05:00 PM

You won't be able to smell it until you rip the bag open. I concur with the first answer, looks bacterial to me too

#5 justinianIIII

justinianIIII

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 14 posts

Posted 09 May 2019 - 05:16 PM

Is it possible to attempt to fruit? Maybe pick out uncolonized grains? 

#6 roc

roc

Forum International Moderator

• 7,455 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 May 2019 - 07:41 PM

Apparently the 5-grain spawn bags from non-sponsor vendor are more wet than rye bags. I've seen a lot of posts saying that a yellowish liquid is somewhat normal. They smell great too. So, I don't think it's bacterial.

We don't have sponsors here so there is no bias and we are more than happy to help you out.
These look like an epic fail and you need to forget them and start over.

Checkout the archives and Tek's here and try again.
You will succeed so don't get disappointed.

• justinianIIII likes this

#7 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,153 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 May 2019 - 07:43 PM

Yeah. Bacterial.

Crumble it up in the bags. It should recover and colonize the loose grains.

Or just leave it a couple more weeks and see what happens.
  • Billcoz and justinianIIII like this

#8 justinianIIII

justinianIIII

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 14 posts

Posted 09 May 2019 - 10:05 PM

Thanks for everyone's input. I've been pretty bummed out since the mention of the word bacteria. I have a completely different plan for the next batch. It involves tried and true tek. I'm not trying to get fancy. I bought a pressure cooker, good jars and five loaded syringes. I'm thinking about BRF and verm. Keep it simple. If there is anything easier, I am open to your suggestions. You guys are great. Thanks again. Cheers. J

• roc likes this

#9 justinianIIII

justinianIIII

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 14 posts

Posted 09 May 2019 - 10:07 PM

Yeah. Bacterial.

Crumble it up in the bags. It should recover and colonize the loose grains.

Or just leave it a couple more weeks and see what happens.

I am interested in this approach, as I haven't begun my backup plan yet. And what the hell. What's your experience with this method?

#10 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,153 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 May 2019 - 10:50 PM

Pretty common. Same as shaking a jar at 30 per cent. If it doesn't recover from breaking it up and mixing, it wasn't going to make it anyway..

#11 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,373 posts

Posted 09 May 2019 - 11:05 PM

Welcome to the world of growing "magic" justinian. I agree that looks like a bacteria in the bags. I like JKdeth's instructions to crumble it in the bag, it might recover and fruit, and if not you did all you could.

You have a good plan there to follow a tek, I would suggest PF because it's so consistent and hard to mess up.

Here's a good tek for you that I always recommend- "Magic for the Masses" pdf(link) by Sidestreet. I like the method and clear pics and detailed instructions from spores/BRF/verm/jars to spore prints and a bunch more. Even a psilo extraction tek. Good luck with it all! 

EDIT- Here is the Mycotopia thread from Sidestreet that the link came from. It's a good read too.

Edited by Billcoz, 09 May 2019 - 11:09 PM.

• justinianIIII likes this

#12 justinianIIII

justinianIIII

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 14 posts

Posted 10 May 2019 - 08:17 AM

I will break it up today, and see what happens. Thanks for the read suggestions, and all suggestions, Billcoz.

Welcome to the world of growing "magic" justinian. I agree that looks like a bacteria in the bags. I like JKdeth's instructions to crumble it in the bag, it might recover and fruit, and if not you did all you could.

You have a good plan there to follow a tek, I would suggest PF because it's so consistent and hard to mess up.

Here's a good tek for you that I always recommend- "Magic for the Masses" pdf(link) by Sidestreet. I like the method and clear pics and detailed instructions from spores/BRF/verm/jars to spore prints and a bunch more. Even a psilo extraction tek. Good luck with it all! 

EDIT- Here is the Mycotopia thread from Sidestreet that the link came from. It's a good read too.

• Billcoz likes this

#13 justinianIIII

justinianIIII

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 14 posts

Posted 14 May 2019 - 02:22 PM

So I broke apart the mycelium four days ago. two of the four bags are back strong! Certainly better than a total loss. It looks like it's going to cover the entire substrate now. We'll see.

20190514_191455197_iOS.jpg

• Billcoz likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!