• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 twoguysupnorth

twoguysupnorth

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 02:50 PM

I've got my WBS all colonized and its putting off a lot of myc pee. They are in very large filter patch bags and doing well but it's time to spawn. I have my woodchips pasteurized and at field capacity hanging in a laundry bag. What should I do from here? Should I mix the spawn and chips right in the bag and close up again or should I spawn to a bin of some kind to get this going? I have 4 bags that have a quart and a pint of WBS to work with. Making more WBS today for some cubes but could also increase the Ovoids more by GtoG. I know they like some air exchange but of course I'm trying to limit any contamination.

I know I'll be building up the outdoor bed with woodchips and all the stems still standing from last years flower beds, phlox, chicory, turkscap lilies and other perennials with hollow stems. I've got straw as well. I've built one bed in the past at a previous house but this one will be bigger and better and we now own this place.20190512_155158.jpg 20190512_155158.jpg

Edited by twoguysupnorth, 12 May 2019 - 03:05 PM.

• wharfrat and Billcoz like this

#2 twoguysupnorth

twoguysupnorth

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 03:00 PM

Filter bags waiting to find some wood to eat.

#3 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 6,635 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 May 2019 - 05:28 PM

"Should I mix the spawn and chips right in the bag and close up again..."

Yep. That's the way I do it for everything woodlover. 

Wait until the woodchips are colonized before moving them to a bin/ tub setup. 

Case with potting soil and plant some rye grass right after transferring the fully colonized woodchips to the tub. 

Then into the greenhouse. 

Edited by Myc, 12 May 2019 - 05:30 PM.

• wharfrat and Billcoz like this

#4 Furthur1

Furthur1

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 198 posts

Posted 13 May 2019 - 04:16 AM

Ovoids are very aggressive, don't be surprised at how fast they will colonize wood chips. I have even found a lone ovoid fruit on a walnut shell half.

This was a 4ft tall woodchip pile 2 years ago.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20190506_183321069.jpg

• Myc likes this

#5 twoguysupnorth

twoguysupnorth

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 13 May 2019 - 05:52 AM

Thanks MYC. I was thinking that just to be a bit more clean and give the grain time to get used up. I've done it once before to a bin and it did well but I had to leave the lid cockeyed for air exchange. Could have been a way to introduce more contaminates.

Wow they were hungry for that pile o chips.

#6 twoguysupnorth

twoguysupnorth

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 13 May 2019 - 05:53 AM

We have some black walnut shells floating around the yard thanks to the squirrels. Maybe I should toss some in as well.

#7 twoguysupnorth

twoguysupnorth

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 11:05 AM

Truly fast growth. I put off doing it because life but just added the woodchips 2 days ago! I was amazed to look in the closet today and see this. The coir is fast as well but this is rampant! I did mix spawn to wood very heavily to get it to go fast.

20190524_092450.jpg
  • Furthur1 and ElPirana like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!