Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Does mycelium look different on OATS vs WBS?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 orangutan

orangutan

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 412 posts

Donator

Posted 13 May 2019 - 10:05 PM

A few weeks ago I decided to try making some oat spawn since people have been raving about it and it's so cheap.

Initially it looked less dense than what I'm used to (have usually been a WBS or rye guy) and as the colonization spread I had the opinion that it was contaminated with something that was not killing it but perhaps slowing it down or making it less dense.

I went back to the drawing board and created a whole new sterile liquid culture, and this time I am testing out one jar with WBS and another with oats.  This is the SAME exact LC.  Both jars inoculated with the same syringe even.

It's been 3 days since inoculation and the WBS mycelium looks a lot more dense and "happy".  The oats have wispy beginnings of growth.  Is this normal?  Does the straw-like husk outer layer of the oat grains make the mycelium behave differently?

Attached Thumbnails

• Screenshot 2019-05-13 19.54.20.png
  • Screenshot 2019-05-13 19.53.37.png

#2 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,369 posts

Posted 13 May 2019 - 10:20 PM

Both look like myc to me, one is fine strands of rhizos and the other is a little bit more tomentos. I would guess because two different strains of genetics are dominating each, maybe because of the slightly different nutrient profiles, maybe if the shells of certain grains are tougher to break into and colonize, certain genes might be more aggressive. That's a wild guess lol. 

Edited by Billcoz, 13 May 2019 - 10:20 PM.

• CatsAndBats and orangutan like this

#3 orangutan

orangutan

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 412 posts

Donator

Posted 13 May 2019 - 11:39 PM

Your wild guess makes sense.    For what it's worth, these two jars are inoculated with the same clone.

But I'm thinking it has something to do with the toughness of the hulls.

#4 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 5,958 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 May 2019 - 12:46 AM

The hulls on the oats so perform differently. Some strains and or species seem to love oats and others seem to go much slower. I only notice it however, when I have other grains like you mention growing side by side. I like oats most of the time, but I stopped using them exclusively. I see others growing pans/copes on them, but for me at least they don't perform well on the oats so I keep some wheat or rye around. You would think the hulls would give oats an advantage over other grain like adding wheat bran to a substrate. That's not always the case though.

I would bet that the oats out perform the WBS above in the long run though. I think the oats will look healthier and more robust after a few weeks than the WBS, They just take lil longer to start out.

• orangutan likes this

#5 orangutan

orangutan

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 412 posts

Donator

Posted 14 May 2019 - 10:46 AM

@coorsmikey I think you're right.  I still have some of the original jars of oats that I thought were contaminated and they are almost completely colonized now.. they are slow.  I wonder if things will change once they are spawned into a bulk substrate.  I'm also risk-averse at this point and would hate to waste more time on this grain experimentation.

#6 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,149 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 May 2019 - 11:27 AM

It can be strain related to. I wonder if the "future food" theory applies?. Just checked the oats I have colonizing, Treasure Coast and Unknown Henson, both very rhizomorphic, but I'm sure these have a history of Oat spawn.

Just curious, how well do you guys rinse your oats? I've taken to rinsing the fuck out of them. 3 Or four hot water rinsed, so much that they're nearly hydrated when I'm done rinsing. I'm just curious if that absence of surface starch may encourage rhizomorphic growth.

#7 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,149 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 May 2019 - 11:33 AM

Just a note, I run birdseed as well, even have mixed jars oats and birdseed right now. Don't really notice any difference.

#8 orangutan

orangutan

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 412 posts

Donator

Posted 15 May 2019 - 09:25 AM

@jkdeth, you read my mind.  I was thinking of trying a combination of oats and WBS in the hopes that the WBS would encourage fast growth that could then jump on to the oats.  Mostly because I have this giant 50lb bag of oats that I don't know what to do with.

So these are the DAY 4 pics of the same Huautla clone on two different grains.  Oat mycelium not dense at all.  WBS mycelium thick and creamy.

Screenshot 2019-05-15 07.13.55.png Screenshot 2019-05-15 07.14.13.png

And I went to take a look at the old jars of oats that I made back in April and, yes, it seems like they are doing great!  Even though it's been slow, and they looked like mildew instead of mycelium for a while, at some point they started to really tear into the oats.  You can see how the mycelium is less dense where the growth started, but on the outer edges of the ring of mycelium it really starts to get dense.  This is a MS Huautla culture on a 3 week jar of oats.

Screenshot 2019-05-15 07.14.44.png Screenshot 2019-05-15 07.14.59.png Screenshot 2019-05-15 07.15.16.png

#9 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,149 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 May 2019 - 02:23 PM

I'd been using a mix of two pet bird feed bird seeds. Wide variety grains including wheat and oats in one, no sunflower seeds or cracked corn. But it was about a dollar a pound. I've used oats before, so I grabbed a bag of those for the savings.

I'm not sure about speed, the strains I'm working with colonize on the slow side anyway. I haven't done side by side really.

#10 roc

roc

Forum International Moderator

• 7,452 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 May 2019 - 05:10 PM

@jkdeth, you read my mind.  I was thinking of trying a combination of oats and WBS in the hopes that the WBS would encourage fast growth that could then jump on to the oats.  Mostly because I have this giant 50lb bag of oats that I don't know what to do with.

So these are the DAY 4 pics of the same Huautla clone on two different grains.  Oat mycelium not dense at all.  WBS mycelium thick and creamy.

And I went to take a look at the old jars of oats that I made back in April and, yes, it seems like they are doing great!  Even though it's been slow, and they looked like mildew instead of mycelium for a while, at some point they started to really tear into the oats.  You can see how the mycelium is less dense where the growth started, but on the outer edges of the ring of mycelium it really starts to get dense.  This is a MS Huautla culture on a 3 week jar of oats.

attachicon.gifScreenshot 2019-05-15 07.14.44.pngattachicon.gifScreenshot 2019-05-15 07.14.59.pngattachicon.gifScreenshot 2019-05-15 07.15.16.png

Shake those babies up and they'll finish up quickly!

Edited by roc, 15 May 2019 - 05:11 PM.

• vertygo likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!