• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Mainemescal

Mainemescal

Mycophiliac

• Myco Newb
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 May 2019 - 06:34 PM

I have been wanting to start this convo for quite some time, as mescaline soluble in n -butane, I wondered if anyone else had tried.
My extraction, went well considering I blew powder thru my screen...
So I did not continue till I had a second opinion on the extraction vessel ..
Rather than a closed column, what do you guys think of using a jar???
Filling w butane, and adding fresh/dried cacti...then filter....
I feel it could work very well..
Has anyone tried a butane extraction on peyote, or tricocerus???
I do know it was done in the 60s I believe,
Give me your thoughts please!!!
  • coorsmikey likes this

#2 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 6,270 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 May 2019 - 07:27 PM

i personally do not have any idea, someone who is more experience will eventually chime in.. Welcome to mycotopia  :biggrin:

#3 roc

roc

Forum International Moderator

• 7,452 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 May 2019 - 08:00 PM

Welcome to 'Topia!

I've done extracts but never with butane.

I'm all eyes and ears waiting...

#4 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 5,958 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 May 2019 - 09:41 PM

Damn! I would love to see a write up on this subject no matter the results. Are you using a cannabis closed loop set up for your extraction? I hope someone knowledgeable does chime in, but please feel inclined to share some more regardless.   

#5 roc

roc

• 7,452 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 May 2019 - 08:58 AM

After sleeping on this I'll ask the question... why wouldn't this work?

#6 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 6,485 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 May 2019 - 09:34 AM

I went and did a quickie check because I was asking the same thing.

So I discovered that Like dissolves Like - when it comes to referring to polar and non-polar solvents. 

My instant assumptions:

Since mescaline is soluble in water (a polar solvent) I presume it would prefer those types of extractions. 

Since butane is a non-polar solvent I presume that it would not be effective at dissolving mescaline. Instead, you would wind up with all of the waxes and oils as opposed to pure mescaline crystals. 

Hoping someone with some chemistry background will confirm / reject / or redirect. 

• roc, coorsmikey and joeya like this

#7 joeya

joeya

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 69 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 09:44 AM

I've done much butane work on cannabis, and I know why it works better there than alcohol extractions, but I don't know if that reasoning translates to mescaline or psilocybin. In the case of cannabis, it's the polarity of the molecule that determines which method works better. Alcohol and butane have opposing polarities, that of butane aligns better with the desired ingredients from cannabis than alcohol does. Also, cannabis has a complex component profile, not only are you trying to extract several  cannabinoids, but also terpenes. The choice of extraction methods would include the consideration of which would preserve the best combination of components. 

In the case of mescaline, you are presumably only trying to extract the one chemical (maybe two or three others, I know some people want to capture any anhalonine and possibly some others.) So, the problem here is actually much simpler to solve than with cannabis. In fact, if mecaline is truly an alkaloid, then perhaps a clean acid-base-acid-wash procedure is the best approach. 

• roc, coorsmikey and Coopdog like this

#8 roc

roc

• 7,452 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 May 2019 - 05:22 PM

I went and did a quickie check because I was asking the same thing.

So I discovered that Like dissolves Like - when it comes to referring to polar and non-polar solvents. 

My instant assumptions:

Since mescaline is soluble in water (a polar solvent) I presume it would prefer those types of extractions. 

Since butane is a non-polar solvent I presume that it would not be effective at dissolving mescaline. Instead, you would wind up with all of the waxes and oils as opposed to pure mescaline crystals. 

Hoping someone with some chemistry background will confirm / reject / or redirect.

You are probably right with your logic since we do use an acetone wash to clean the old brown Sanchez up.

Edited by roc, 15 May 2019 - 05:25 PM.

#9 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 5,958 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 May 2019 - 06:01 PM

If the OP was to basify the solution before attempting the butane extraction I believe it would work. Just seems more complicated than it needs to be. But then again if one had white xtal at then and no need to wash the "Sanchez" it may something to look into. especially if one is already set up wit the equipment.

Ah Nevermind!!! I just re-read the OP and he says fresh/dried cacti.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!