• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 joeya

joeya

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 417 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 10:12 AM

I don't have to travel often for work, but one of those trips has come up. I have a week to prepare, and will be gone for a week, and have the following in process

1. 9 PF cakes (GT) in the fruiting chamber, 5 entering first flush, 4 entering second flush.

2. 1 dub tub of GT, Hongus tek, not yet pinning through the casing layer.

3. 2 GT cloning attempts on agar

4. 1 quart jar of wbs, noc'd with costa rica spores just yesterday

I think most should be okay while I'm gone, my concern is with the cakes. Is there anything I should do to minimize the damage from the neglect? I'm thinking I should strip them and put them in the refrigerator right before I head to the airport, does that sound about right?

Thanks for any input!

• roc, PJammer24, wharfrat and 1 other like this

#2 roc

roc

Forum International Moderator

• 7,958 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 May 2019 - 11:35 AM

Exactly what I was going to suggest.
Clean them off put in ziplocs or jars and put them in the fridge.

• PJammer24 and joeya like this

#3 joeya

joeya

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 417 posts

Posted 09 June 2019 - 11:37 AM

I wanted to circle back on this post with some results. Before leaving on June 29, I cleaned all my cakes, put each in it's own ziploc sandwich bag, and put 4 of those individually bagged cakes in each of two 1 gallon freezer zip lock bags, and placed them all in the vegetable drawer of my spare refrigerator. My trip got extended a few days, so after I got back on June 6 (thursday), I unpacked them and soaked them overnight. Friday morning I coated them in vermiculite and put them in the FC (typical choke chamber, no holes, two inches of perlite moistened with salt water) On checking this morning (Sunday) there are already a few pins forming.  

Additionally, everything else that I left, which was basically in a "neglect" phase, has continued to develop as expected. The one exception is the dub tub, which had developed trich and was removed from the house even before I left. 

So, glad to report that a grow can be placed on hiatus and successfully restored rather easily, now if I can just keep from any more of these unplanned travels for a while I can focus my efforts on improving, rather than salvaging!

• roc, PJammer24, bezevo and 1 other like this

#4 roc

roc

Forum International Moderator

• 7,958 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 June 2019 - 10:29 PM

Awesome followup!
Glad to hear of your success!

• joeya likes this

#5 joeya

joeya

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 417 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 11:02 AM

Awesome followup!
Glad to hear of your success!

Thank you Roc, 

I figure if people are going to take the time to offer their help, it's worth it post my results. Who knows who else might see this later while looking for the same answer, so it's worth pointing out that it worked. 

J. A.

Edited by joeya, 10 June 2019 - 04:04 PM.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!