• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 JacobCrest

JacobCrest

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 12:55 AM

So I am using a wild bird seed vermiculite mix in a jar and it doesnt seem to be growing. I'm wondering if it wasnt wet enough. Can I add water after I've already inoculated or is that a no no? Thanks in advance

#2 heaze2010

heaze2010

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 07:14 PM

No need for verm if you prepped the wbs correctly, as far as adding water after the facts, people have done it,but it's certainly not recommended.

• JacobCrest likes this

#3 JacobCrest

JacobCrest

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 9 posts

Posted 25 May 2019 - 06:08 PM

No need for verm if you prepped the wbs correctly, as far as adding water after the facts, people have done it,but it's certainly not recommended.

So should I put water in a jar and pressure cook it then I guess my main question would be how to add it to the jar without drowning or introducing contamination.

#4 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 6,323 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 May 2019 - 06:18 PM

What make you think its too dry? How long has it been since you inoculated with spores?

• JacobCrest likes this

#5 JacobCrest

JacobCrest

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 May 2019 - 12:17 PM

What make you think its too dry? How long has it been since you inoculated with spores?

2 weeks

#6 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• OG VIP
  • 11,081 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 May 2019 - 01:24 PM

Spores inoculated directly to whole grain is not recommended. Not sure why it's so much harder to get them to grow that way, but it is.

Don't add water to a grain jar, it's too great a risk of contamination and it's much more efficient (and much more likely to be successful) if you start a new batch rather than attempt to salvage a problematic one.

And photos always help when assessing problems.

#7 joeya

joeya

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 413 posts

Posted 27 May 2019 - 01:50 PM

Just for a data point on this topic, I noc'd a quart jar, 3/4 full of wbs on May 20, with Costa Rica spores. Just today is the first time I noticed any myc growth, in three spots near the injection site. This jar has been kept at 75 degrees consistently. If yours is cooler, then I don't know that a couple weeks is particularly long. 

#8 MsBehavin420

MsBehavin420

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 921 posts

Posted 27 May 2019 - 05:01 PM

This has nothing to do with the Monkees and now Im upset

Edited by MsBehavin420, 27 May 2019 - 05:01 PM.

• mushit and crazy1 like this

#9 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• OG VIP
  • 11,081 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 May 2019 - 12:27 PM

Just for a data point on this topic, I noc'd a quart jar, 3/4 full of wbs on May 20, with Costa Rica spores. Just today is the first time I noticed any myc growth, in three spots near the injection site. This jar has been kept at 75 degrees consistently. If yours is cooler, then I don't know that a couple weeks is particularly long. 

The longer it takes to colonize a substrate, the higher the chance that contamination will win the race.

Also, at that rate it will be another couple of weeks before there's enough mycelium present to give it a shake (then more waiting for it to finish...), and with that much time passing there's a good chance it will get too dry (assuming it doesn't contaminate). I start getting concerned if my jars or bags aren't fully colonized within 5 days, tops.

There's certainly a chance that it will finish and eventually fruit, but there's a reason why after all these years of people experimenting with every mushroom growing possibility they can think of it's not recommended to use spores on whole grain.

#10 JacobCrest

JacobCrest

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 9 posts

Posted 28 May 2019 - 11:40 PM

Instead of adding water should I just make more jars of wetter wbs and jar to jar inoculate?

#11 JacobCrest

JacobCrest

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 9 posts

Posted 28 May 2019 - 11:43 PM

20190528_233341.jpg 20190528_233352.jpg 20190528_233329.jpg 20190528_233313.jpg

#12 MsBehavin420

MsBehavin420

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 921 posts

Posted 29 May 2019 - 07:40 AM

My first WBS jar is starting to colonize. I started with a super dirty print I made and some agar agar and 2 transfers. I wish I could take photos but the containers arent see thru very well.
Concerned about moisture though. I feel like they're too dry but I'm use to cakes . ..

#13 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• OG VIP
  • 11,081 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 May 2019 - 11:15 AM

This thread nicely illustrates why pictures are so helpful.

Your jars actually look really good. They could use a shake to help speed things up. Shake 'em up really vigorously, for about 15-20 seconds each (which is longer than it seems while you're actually shaking a jar).

With growth like that, moisture content is good enough so I wouldn't add any more water. The main concern with spawn runs is grain that is too wet.

If you plan on using it to inoculate a bulk sub then the moisture content of the straw or manure or whatever will determine how well it fruits.

• roc, crazy1, MsBehavin420 and 1 other like this

#14 JacobCrest

JacobCrest

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 9 posts

Posted 29 May 2019 - 01:06 PM

Thank you. Theyve actually been growing better the past couple of days. Like I mentioned it's my first grow so I'm not really sure how long inoculation should take. Also I have heard to not shake them until they're 75 percent inoculated? Is that true. And I'm not sure if this info is worth anything but I added ground bee pollen, ground flax seeds, ground b complex vitamins and ground tums to the wbs. It was supposed to be extra nutrients for the myc but I'm not sure.

#15 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• OG VIP
  • 11,081 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 June 2019 - 10:16 AM

How are things going with this grow?

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!