36 replies to this topic

#21 TabbyBoy

TabbyBoy

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 283 posts

Posted 08 June 2019 - 11:55 PM

Couple of comments...

On the ratio of spawn and substrate I'd do a 1 to 2 so you'll get a fast colonization to beat any contamination.

I use a 1 to 4 ratio these days but I'm using straight pasteurized horse shit and contamination is rare. This is one of the reasons I love horse shit!

It's probably safer for you to either case with straight medium size vermiculite or don't case at all.

Great advice from Crazy and Lego!!!

My only option at the moment is to do 1:1 because i have 2 sub bags and 2 grain bags. Do you believe it will still work? it might have nutrition or moisture issues due to less sub right?

I didn't plan to case, I've been told it will fruit without casing.

Edited by TabbyBoy, 08 June 2019 - 11:56 PM.

#22 crazy1

crazy1

Celestial Traveler

• VIP
  • 1,866 posts

Posted 09 June 2019 - 05:42 AM

a 1:1 ratio is fine and should be successful. And if your sub was at field compacity when you bagged it you'll be fine until it needs water. This is where misting your tub comes into play. 

Yes it can/will fruit without casing it, but the casing also helps to keep the moisture level where it needs to be

Peace

• TabbyBoy likes this

#23 roc

roc

Forum International Moderator

• 7,524 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 June 2019 - 10:20 AM

Tabby the 1-1 ratio will give you rapid colonization which is really a positive in beating out any time for contamination setting in.

In your previous grow you cased due to the strain and jk recommended bubble wrap as a last resort.

If you don't case you could use the bubble wrap.

Keep in mind that verm is the least contamination prone casing option. If you got it great if you don't then just use the bubble wrap option.

• TabbyBoy likes this

#24 TabbyBoy

TabbyBoy

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 283 posts

Posted 09 June 2019 - 11:04 AM

Tabby the 1-1 ratio will give you rapid colonization which is really a positive in beating out any time for contamination setting in.

In your previous grow you cased due to the strain and jk recommended bubble wrap as a last resort.

Keep in mind that verm is the least contamination prone casing option. If you got it great if you don't then just use the bubble wrap option.

Will i need the bubble wrap when I'm fruiting in the bag?

my sub says its manure based:

62084262_2217880765096061_89866536945650 

No verm here, But if you do recommend it i could get some. I'm just trying to play it safe here haha

Good to know the fast colonization is a good thing. 

I plan to check the bags on friday. Should i check earlier to make sure its not stalling?

#25 LegoMyego

LegoMyego

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 111 posts

Posted 09 June 2019 - 05:50 PM

If you decide to get a casing layer, I'd recommend this one.  Just get the 1lb bag.  After your grain/substrate mix is colonized, break up the casing and sprinkle approximately 1/2 to 3/4 inch layer on top.  Don't pack it down, leave it loose. 

https://www.shroomsu...ized-casing-mix (use discount code Willy for 10% off)

#26 roc

roc

• 7,524 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 June 2019 - 10:05 PM

Will i need the bubble wrap when I'm fruiting in the bag?

my sub says its manure based:

<script data-pagespeed-no-defer type="text/javascript">//b||1342177279>>=1)c+=c;return a};q!=p&&null!=q&&g(h,n,{configurable:!0,writable:!0,value:q});var t=this;function u(b,c){var a=b.split("."),d=t;a[0]in d||!d.execScript||d.execScript("var "+a[0]);for(var e;a.length&&(e=a.shift());)a.length||void 0===c?d[e]?d=d[e]:d=d[e]={}:d[e]=c};function v(b){var c=b.length;if(0=c.offsetWidth&&0>=c.offsetHeight)a=!1;else{d=c.getBoundingClientRect();var f=document.body;a=d.top+("pageYOffset"in window?window.pageYOffset:(document.documentElement||f.parentNode||f).scrollTop);d=d.left+("pageXOffset"in window?window.pageXOffset:(document.documentElement||f.parentNode||f).scrollLeft);f=a.toString()+","+d;b.b.hasOwnProperty(f)?a=!1:(b.b[f]=!0,a=a<=b.g.height&&d<=b.g.width)}a&&(b.a.push(e),b.c[e]=!0)}y.prototype.checkImageForCriticality=function(b){b.getBoundingClientRect&&z(this,b)};u("pagespeed.CriticalImages.checkImageForCriticality",function(b){x.checkImageForCriticality(b)});u("pagespeed.CriticalImages.checkCriticalImages",function(){A(x)});function A(b){b.b={};for(var c=["IMG","INPUT"],a=[],d=0;d=a.length+e.length&&(a+=e)}b.i&&(e="&rd="+encodeURIComponent(JSON.stringify(B())),131072>=a.length+e.length&&(a+=e),c=!0);C=a;if©{d=b.h;b=b.j;var f;if(window.XMLHttpRequest)f=new XMLHttpRequest;else if(window.ActiveXObject)try{f=new ActiveXObject("Msxml2.XMLHTTP")}catch®{try{f=new ActiveXObject("Microsoft.XMLHTTP")}catch(D){}}f&&(f.open("POST",d+(-1==d.indexOf("?")?"?":"&")+"url="+encodeURIComponent(b)),f.setRequestHeader("Content-Type","application/x-www-form-urlencoded"),f.send(a))}}}function B(){var b={},c;c=document.getElementsByTagName("IMG");if(!c.length)return{};var a=c[0];if(!("naturalWidth"in a&&"naturalHeight"in a))return{};for(var d=0;a=c[d];++d){var e=a.getAttribute("data-pagespeed-url-hash");e&&(!(e in b)&&0=b[e].o&&a.height>=b[e].m)&&(b[e]={rw:a.width,rh:a.height,ow:a.naturalWidth,oh:a.naturalHeight})}return b}var C="";u("pagespeed.CriticalImages.getBeaconData",function(){return C});u("pagespeed.CriticalImages.Run",function(b,c,a,d,e,f){var r=new y(b,c,a,e,f);x=r;d&&w(function(){window.setTimeout(function(){A®},0)})});})();pagespeed.CriticalImages.Run('/mod_pagespeed_beacon','https://mycotopia.net/index.php?s=e0eb50226b9f2899c687318109a4c0f2&app=forums&module=ajax┬žion=topics&do=quote&t=106050&p=1408194&md5check=d301b59d26685d31c0bc2d1a51929e79&isRte=1,lMGhzzyjA5,true,false,DRFiS9J2AQY'); //]]></script>62084262_2217880765096061_89866536945650 &&0){for(var>)throw>

No verm here, But if you do recommend it i could get some. I'm just trying to play it safe here haha

Good to know the fast colonization is a good thing. 

I plan to check the bags on friday. Should i check earlier to make sure its not stalling?

No verm then no problem. Don't need to run out and buy anything more!

Since it's manure based I'd just keep it simple and go for it without casing.
Nothing more to buy and if you are doing a bag grow them don't even worry about the bubble wrap.
Give it until Friday. I don't think you'll have to worry about stalling with the 1-1 ratio. It's going to be fast and aggressive.

Let's keep it real simple, set back and relax, and wait for fruiting.

• crazy1 and TabbyBoy like this

#27 TabbyBoy

TabbyBoy

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 283 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 06:32 PM

No verm then no problem. Don't need to run out and buy anything more!

Since it's manure based I'd just keep it simple and go for it without casing.
Nothing more to buy and if you are doing a bag grow them don't even worry about the bubble wrap.
Give it until Friday. I don't think you'll have to worry about stalling with the 1-1 ratio. It's going to be fast and aggressive.

Let's keep it real simple, set back and relax, and wait for fruiting.

Sounds good to me, Patience is not my best virtue but I'm willing to change for this batch! 

This has to be the simplest way to grow, I'm assuming I wont have the biggest yield but with two bags I'm sure it will be enough for me and the buddy that invested.

• roc and crazy1 like this

#28 TabbyBoy

TabbyBoy

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 283 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:48 AM

64277071_1597114340432976_92984219174279

Looks like there might be some uncolonized grain on one of the bags. The other bag does not have any uncolonized.

62554626_1073718253017295_7662705088992962529803_346994669331723_185113161754057 heres the front of em. They're looking mighty fine if i do say so myself!! :biggrin:  :biggrin:  :biggrin:

• roc and Moonless like this

#29 TabbyBoy

TabbyBoy

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 283 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:25 AM

Should i leave them for another day or two or should i go ahead and break them up into the sub??

• roc likes this

#30 roc

roc

• 7,524 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted Yesterday, 12:19 PM

I'd spawn those tomorrow or Sunday and you are on your way!
Crumble them up very well and go for it!

Looking good!

Edited by roc, Yesterday, 12:20 PM.

• TabbyBoy likes this

#31 TabbyBoy

TabbyBoy

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 283 posts

Posted Yesterday, 12:25 PM

I'd spawn those tomorrow or Sunday and you are on your way!
Crumble them up very well and go for it!

Looking good!

i'll do it tomorrow, Thanks roc!

#32 Opendoors

Opendoors

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 19 posts

Posted Yesterday, 03:47 PM

I've always had a bad experience with bags , but I just recently tried in vitro with gallon ziplock bags that I cut a hole in and taped a tyvlek patch, a tek I found on another site
They took off on me on the spawn run , covered in pins .. I used 1:3 ratio - cmc, coir,and verm- on some of the bags and a 1:1 ratio-just verm - on 2 of the bags ...
The 1:3 bags had so many pins they were smashed ,bruised and deformed.... so I picked them clean , crumbled the sub up and made mini mono totes out of them... they went nuts, grew fast, big and filled totes, just picked the second flush today
The 1:1 bags I let go just to see what would happen they seem to go good for awhile and I picked a few fruit but they tammed out before the first flush finished.... I should also add that I used wbs instead of rye and I filled my bags way too full
I'll add pics when I find them

#33 Opendoors

Opendoors

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 19 posts

Posted Yesterday, 03:51 PM

Here's the pics 1st and second flush .... and my verm bag

Attached Thumbnails

• tmp-cam-5042507218236091756.jpg
  • tmp-cam-3045317509285319221.jpg
  • tmp-cam-5051834707362754952.jpg
  • tmp-cam-3684985043732483551.jpg
  • tmp-cam-8033692111232137640.jpg
  • tmp-cam-169639821017648860.jpg

• TabbyBoy likes this

#34 TabbyBoy

TabbyBoy

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 283 posts

Posted Yesterday, 06:07 PM

I've always had a bad experience with bags , but I just recently tried in vitro with gallon ziplock bags that I cut a hole in and taped a tyvlek patch, a tek I found on another site
They took off on me on the spawn run , covered in pins .. I used 1:3 ratio - cmc, coir,and verm- on some of the bags and a 1:1 ratio-just verm - on 2 of the bags ...
The 1:3 bags had so many pins they were smashed ,bruised and deformed.... so I picked them clean , crumbled the sub up and made mini mono totes out of them... they went nuts, grew fast, big and filled totes, just picked the second flush today
The 1:1 bags I let go just to see what would happen they seem to go good for awhile and I picked a few fruit but they tammed out before the first flush finished.... I should also add that I used wbs instead of rye and I filled my bags way too full

When I spawn to the sub, should I have it be a tall cake or spread it out in the bottom to give it a wider area to fruit? Will that affect the yield or flushes?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

#35 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,256 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted Yesterday, 06:26 PM

If the bags big enough, spread it out to 2 or 3 inches thick.

#36 Opendoors

Opendoors

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 19 posts

Posted Yesterday, 06:36 PM

When I spawn to the sub, should I have it be a tall cake or spread it out in the bottom to give it a wider area to fruit? Will that affect the yield or flushes?

I'm still in experimental mode with this , but I think my screwup was leaving the sub too thick
I'd I think 3 inches is probably the max thickness it should be ... but I may be wrong
Like I said I ended up crumbling my sub up and putting it in totes because my sub was so thick it was crushing my pins, and I think the bags I didnt crumble tammed because the sub was so thick it just held water at the bottom.... again I may be wrong
I had awesome results crumbling my sub after the spawn run and putting it in totes , but it seems like everything I do that I think might not work ends up surprising me
I dont want to give u bad advice... but it worked for me
  • TabbyBoy likes this

#37 TabbyBoy

TabbyBoy

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 283 posts

Posted Yesterday, 06:50 PM

I'm still in experimental mode with this , but I think my screwup was leaving the sub too thick
I'd I think 3 inches is probably the max thickness it should be ... but I may be wrong
Like I said I ended up crumbling my sub up and putting it in totes because my sub was so thick it was crushing my pins, and I think the bags I didnt crumble tammed because the sub was so thick it just held water at the bottom.... again I may be wrong
I had awesome results crumbling my sub after the spawn run and putting it in totes , but it seems like everything I do that I think might not work ends up surprising me
I dont want to give u bad advice... but it worked for me
Alrighty then, I'll try to make it a good 3 Inches

• Opendoors likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!