• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 Moonless

Moonless

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 249 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 02:40 PM

Greetings! I'm glad you have come here! Please fell free to read the following post.

Last winter I had first successful grow of Cubensis type mushrooms. I had a great time going through the process and learned a lot from growing and consuming the mushrooms. Now I am on my second grow and have taken pictures to document my process.

In mid December of last year my first grow put its last fruit out. In response I ordered an inexpensive all-in-one mycobag from online, which I put MS syringe of Alacabenzi. Unfortunately after a month I learned about bacteria contamination and my bag was a bust. But seeing I had half a spore syring left, and 20 bucks down on my luck, I knew I must learn a better way to grow/cultivate these mushrooms. A better way for success chance, and my wallet.

So to start I had some goals:
1.) To grow mushrooms

a.) Well
b.) Inexpensive {I have no special equipment}
c.) Easy
d.) Fun

So those were my goals and heres how I did it.

Wild bird seed was strained drained and re-aranged over the sink while water is boiled over the stove in the pot of ones own. Then the strained seeds were put into the pot to cook for 5 minutes Stirring regularly. Then turn the heat off and let the beans soak for 30 minutes, stirring to make sure no clumps.
Once the grain is cooked pour out into a colander and strain in cold water over the sink, until the draining liquid is clear water. Then strain off all remaining liquid and pour the grains into a big bowl with paper towel to dry the bottom. Next I transferred my grains as-is into 1/2 pint jars with a hammered hole in the lid, however many TEKs for WBS include adding vermiculite just a material I don't have currently so I skipped this step.
Next I put the jars through two or three days of fractional sterilization which is boiling jars PF style for 2-3 hours each day. Many people claim fractional sterilization is not a viable method for sterilization and jars will contaminate at a high rate, but I had 5/6 success this time!

Using the final half of my old spore syringe I inoculated 1 cc per jar. It has been almost 8 weeks now and 5/6 of these jars are between 80-90% colonized.

In the meantime for these jars to colonize I went ahead and found some new strains. PES Hawaiian and South America. For these whole brown rice was used as sub-straight.
Whole brown rice was rinsed in the colander, then put on the stove top pot with water. Rice cooked for 10 minutes so it will be still hard and under-cooked a lot. Then strained and put into a big bowl with paper towel. The moist rice was put into jars and steamed in a pot for 90 minutes. Wait a day and inoculate.

Report card:
All-in-all I had alot of fun making my own jars for growing and seeing them grow.
Fun - check
This cost me total like 20 dollors and I have extra jars to use for the future
Inexpensive - check

Between both procedures the rice was very easy, excited to compare and contrast between the two
Easy - check
In 3 weeks one of the rice cakes was 100% and was cast to bulk sub-straight
I did it Well (I hope)

Now I have some pictures from the one jar container I shall Post

May 20th

DSC_0053.JPG

May 22nd

DSC_0099.JPG

May 23rd

DSC_0116.JPG

:victorious: Thanks for Listening! :hug:

Sources:

Flaweds no PC WBS/Grains prep [Shroomology]

Broke Boi TEK [Reddit]

Wild Satori Forest [Youtube]

All y'all on this one [Mycotopia] whom have contributed to this knowledge allowing the flame to be picked up.

• wharfrat, Cuboid, Mushinist and 1 other like this

#2 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,555 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 May 2019 - 04:57 AM

Nice work

• Moonless likes this

#3 Moonless

Moonless

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 249 posts

Posted 26 May 2019 - 06:36 PM

I would like to clarify some things because I left out alot of the story and also give an update.
For the five Brown Rice three were PES Hawaii and two were of Latin American descent. I didn't label my jars so I do not know which are which. In the pictures it is either Latin American or Hawaiian I do not know. I was amazed how fast that jar colonized compared to the others! like 3 weeks or so! And the yield was very prolific 7 pairs {6 grams} !__!

DSC_0146.JPG

Since last posted the flushes have been less and less, with significantly smaller mushrooms too. I wonder if there is a way to feed them nutrients so they can continue growing. I wonder if mushrooms like worm casting and compost as do plants. I thoroughly enjoy the garden outside, and my shrooms garden indoors and both seem to be very similar. Possibly they could benifet from water, I have heard of people pouring water into their containers for a few hours then dumping it out. Dunking I think, maybe I shall try it, couldn't hurt as it seems the mycelium has shrank about 15 percent pulling away from the sides of the container its in.

In other news the WBS jars are all nearing 100% colonization, one is completely mycelium and is consolidating. Some of it is very dense while many patches of grain is thinly colonized. On these less dense grains the mycelium is starting to sprawl out. so cool. {Here it is}

DSC_0144.JPG

I am getting very excited to spawn these WBS jars.

I am planning on using a large storage container which has holes hot screwdrivered into it in a grid like fashion. Im hoping the container method works better than the bags, it seems like the mushrooms get more to breath with it.

Peace  :victorious:  :victorious:

• wharfrat and ElPirana like this

#4 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,509 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 May 2019 - 08:06 PM

The fruits ate 90+ percent water, you can dunk the cakes to replace the water consumed producing fruit. They can't be fed. When they're done, they're done. They can be buried outside and may produce some bonus.
  • wharfrat and Moonless like this

#5 Moonless

Moonless

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 249 posts

Posted 01 June 2019 - 11:18 AM

Update: The four WBS jars have been spawned in various methods. Three of the jars went into a storage container which was prepared with a trash liner to cover the bottom and sides, while the forth and final jar went into a food container which is sitting in a ziplock bag with some poly-fill in the zipper. All WBS grows were spawned to pasteurized manure in a 1:1 ratio, As an experiment aluminum foil was placed over the monotub to block out sunlight and to keep moisture in. One downside I noticed to this was that a small pool of water which was slightly yellow (I'm assuming saturated with matabolites), so I whipped the pool of water with a paper towel, sprayed the sides, and took the foil out. I'm hoping that the pool of water wont be a problem in the future.

The first grow is still going strong! After I poured water into the container to rehydrate the cake it produced a new flush of 5 large mushrooms! I even woke up today to two pairs of them! From this harvest my partner and I were able to have a nice trip. The mushrooms worked in the background, teaching us lessons through the interaction we had with each other. It was truly great time. I hope to post more about this trip because I learned a lot but this is not the thread for that, stay on the lookout in spirituality and mysticism!

Edited by Moonless, 01 June 2019 - 05:13 PM.

• Skywatcher and wharfrat like this

#6 Moonless

Moonless

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 249 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 05:02 PM

I wanted to share some pictures of the time being as last post featured no pictures.

Two bags // One tub

DSC_0071.JPG DSC_0072.JPG

The first flush from the ziplock bag grow tent came up. These are Alacabenzi!

DSC_0180.JPG

The ziplock bag method has healthy white mycelium, on the other hand The large container had bruising mycelium. After thinking about it I thought that because the container has many uncovered holes that the air current could be oxidizing the mycelium at a higher rate and caused the bluing, this theory also accounts for some very short fruits. My idea was that because there was constant air exchange with the fan, that the fruits were stunted, however this could also be due to an unhealthy looking mycelium.

Monotub june9th.JPG

In other bad new I had an infestation of fungus gnats in my house plants and today found some in the monotub container. Oh it really hurt to see those little critters on the mycelium, especially because they eat fungus ugg!!! Asa n experiment I put some neem oil into the spray bottle and have been using that to mist the container.

Since the container has only produced pins that become stunted and don't get very big, I have had to rely on my single cake ziplock grow tent to supply my supply. I am very excited to try Alacabenzi!

• wharfrat and ElPirana like this

#7 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 6,394 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 June 2019 - 05:48 PM

good job, they look great!  :thumbs_up:

as far as gnats go, I hate em! summer is a bad time of year for them, fortunately they do not cause many issues for me during the cooler months

• Moonless likes this

#8 Moonless

Moonless

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 249 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 09:46 PM

Thank you Wharfrat.

I remember last fall I got them in my house plants but by the time winter came they were out of sight and out of mind. I'm really hoping that the neem oil works out, Since their life cycles are around 21 days I will have time before they hatch. Untill then I have been spraying the mycelium with neem oil. And will update about neem oil and how it works out.

Have you used any neem oil for fungus gnats Wharfrat?

#9 Moonless

Moonless

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 249 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 07:06 PM

Gnats have gone away for the most part, haven't seen one for the past three days.

I don't know if it was something I did or they went away on their own, however I applied a mist of a water based solution of neem oil and vanilla extract for the past week. Now that they have gone incognito for three day I am misting normally with tap water. All the while, making fruits, mostly short however some medium sized fruits in the mix! I have some pictures of the tub.

Here is the top view:

Mono top.JPG

And a view of the right half of the tub:

Mono right.JPG

Here is a close up of young fruits that are all white, I don't know what that is however I have noticed that these aren't growing well at all! Any ideas??

Closeup 1 White cap pins.JPG

And finally there are some blue bruising!

Closeup 4 Blue.JPG

I have more picture but have reached my limit. Will make another post shortly.

#10 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,509 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 June 2019 - 07:13 PM

Neem oil is also a fungicide. I suspect its aborted a lot of fruit.
  • Moonless likes this

#11 Moonless

Moonless

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 249 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 07:15 PM

In other news, no new flushes on the old Hawaii container, it has been a week and just one pin is present. It just popped up. I am so surprised its even going, as it has been over a month! The Alacabenzi ziplock bag has continuously made fruits. All good in that department.

In the mean time I had made 5 more brown rice jars and inoced with my girlfriend. Here they are:

Jar 1 Hawaii: Notice the goopy look of the rice at the bottom? In my test I believe this to be a bacteria contamination, however I have seen the mycelium overtake this before. In fact I had a container with a little bit of this goopy goppy bacteria contamination which I fruited outside and have found outdoor fruits! In addition I have seen the Hawaii overcome this bacteria however when spawned to bulk it contaminated badly. Very smelly!! What are your thoughts?

Jar 1.JPG

Here is a bottom view of that jar:

Jar 2 bottom.JPG

Of the 5 jars done, 2 are Hawaii, which have colonized the top half, and three are South American. The South American only one has taken and it has colonized the top half:

Jar 2.JPG

Finally, Bouny!!

Bouny!.JPG

#12 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,509 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 June 2019 - 07:20 PM

Slimy is pretty much always bacteria. Vigorous mycelium can defeat it sometimes.
  • Moonless likes this

#13 Moonless

Moonless

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 249 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 07:20 PM

Neem oil is also a fungicide. I suspect its aborted a lot of fruit.

Thank you for your wisdom jkdeath. I will report back in the foreseeable future to let you know how this goes. In terms of harvesting, should I get rid of these aborts or is there a chance they'll bounce back

i also have aborted pins that have black caps:

Closeup 6 black caps.JPG

Edited by Moonless, 21 June 2019 - 07:25 PM.

#14 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,509 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 June 2019 - 07:22 PM

I'm pretty sure those are done.
  • Moonless likes this

#15 Moonless

Moonless

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 249 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 08:45 PM

So I did a picking session and wallah!

Bouny! 2.JPG

Stay tuned!

• ElPirana likes this

#16 Moonless

Moonless

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 249 posts

Posted 23 June 2019 - 01:51 PM

This weekend has been pretty eventful for the mycology hobby. First I made a Still Air Box:

SAB.JPG

And did a practice of making prints. I made two with one cap, first one for 3 hours and another for 12 hours. This is the 12 hr one:

Print unclean.JPG

It was nice to go outside to find pins in the graveyard where I dumped contaminated jars and trays. They are meaty, I noticed that the slugs and ants are all around there, somethings definitely been eating them. The otherday there was a rat eating birdseed he could be chowing down too!! I think good to give back to the community!

Outdoor harvest 3.JPG

Outdoor harvest.JPG

And a few mushrooms from another flush

Alacabenzi harvest.JPG

The dried ones from last time^

Windowsill 2.JPG

#17 roc

roc

Forum International Moderator

• 7,987 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 June 2019 - 09:03 PM

Direct light drying is not best practice.

You lose potency when direct UV and oxidation occurs.

#18 Moonless

Moonless

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 249 posts

Posted 24 June 2019 - 06:28 PM

Jar day!! This time I am experimenting with different jar sizes as well as reusing jars from the gorcery store. Thrifty!

Jar squad up.JPG

I am using jars with holes hammered into the top with a nail

Holes.JPG

Once again I am using whole brown rice, but this time threw in some bran spankin new vermiculite to the mixture! The rice is added to boiling water and cooked for 10 minutes. Because the rice is hot it is drained under cold tap water with the colander.

Drying.JPG

Diversity in action!

Jaring.JPG

OCD.JPG

Jars filled and caped with aluminum foil

Whole squad.JPG

Once all said and done seven half pint jars, two tiny jars, two medium ones, and one large one cooked for 90 minutes.

Pot1.JPG pot2.JPG pot3.JPG

#19 Moonless

Moonless

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 249 posts

Posted 24 June 2019 - 06:30 PM

Direct light drying is not best practice.

You lose potency when direct UV and oxidation occurs.

Thank you I did not know that! I changed to a darker room with the fan always on for drying.

#20 Moonless

Moonless

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 249 posts

Posted 25 June 2019 - 09:18 PM

The jars have cooled to room temperature overnight. When they got out of the steam bath the inside of the jars had condensation, now condensation is gone. For this time I decided to grow Burma and Texas Orange Cap. I am very excited to try Burma because I have heard alot about Asian strains. The word around town is that they colonize well to brown rice, and are quite potent!

I ran a quick experiment on jars and jar lids on this grow. Some jars are unmodified, some have holes in them. I left the foil on some of the jars and didn't cover the whole, and I covered the holes with bandaids on others, I also used masking tape on two of the jars. If any of these are bad practice and low yeild please let me know. I'm worried about not covering and just foil but idk what i'm doing so gotta live and try.

I finally got to use the still air box for inoculation! On the second go I pricked my finger right away, no worries though I'll count it as my blood sacrifice for the grow so no small animals will be hurt in the making of these mushrooms... This time  :deadhorse: dun dun duhhhh!

Heres the pictures:

Jar1.JPG

Jar2.JPG

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!