38 replies to this topic

#21 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,433 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 June 2019 - 09:43 PM

Not trying to sound mean, but you're steaming grain. That's bad practice.

Your lids with holes need foil. I'm assuming you have something acting like a filter on the holes.

Your lids without holes, probably should have holes.
  • Moonless likes this

#22 Moonless

Moonless

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 136 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 09:45 AM

Not trying to sound mean, but you're steaming grain. That's bad practice.

No worries jkdeath I understand that using a PC is the only way to sterilize properly. I am looking for a pressure cooker at the various thrift stores around town, until then I'm going with the pot on the stove method and I have found that rice works somewhat well 60% success, and WBS works a little less well 50% success. I'm hoping that using my still air box will improve yield!

Your lids with holes need foil. I'm assuming you have something acting like a filter on the holes.

The jars with foil have no filters on them.

Your lids without holes, probably should have holes.

I appreciate you sharing your expertise jkdeath you are a good mentor.

#23 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,433 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 June 2019 - 04:52 PM

The full method for that steaming takes 3 rounds of steaming 24 hours apart. I used popcorn with an average of more failure than success. Anywhere from 100 percent success to 100 per cent failure.

Funny thing, I've never had good luck with rice, even in the pc.
  • Moonless likes this

#24 Moonless

Moonless

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 136 posts

Posted 30 June 2019 - 08:07 PM

The past few days the grow hasn't been very productive. Alot of my pins are aborting, and only side pins are making it. On the bright side here are some surprise cubes growing outside.

Outdoor flush1.JPG Outdoor flush2.JPG

#25 Moonless

Moonless

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 136 posts

Posted 03 July 2019 - 10:43 PM

July First:

I added a casing layer in fashion such; {50/50:verm/peat moss} watered past field capacity with Brit filter water, ovened in loose jars at 225-250 for two hours, let cool and tighten securily. On the inside I have fluffy mycelium clinging to the pins. Have been laying off misting and turning up the fanning. This is the inside of the Alacabenzi. I currently have one more alacabenzi jar coming on its way!

Inside the bag.JPG

I have changed my grow set up. I am now stationed in a closet, with a led bulb for light. I am hoping for one more flush out of the Pes Hawaii [Pictured on the right]. It is cased with verm/peat moss too.

New set up.JPG

July Third:

I added micropore tape to every hole in the tub I have constructed.

Bin side.JPG Bin top.JPG

I previously used the tub for growing Alazabenzi cubes but got a contamination: Fungus Gnatts. After plucking off all the fruits and aborts, I threw the entire grow, in addition to some cakes into a tub and spawned it to composted manure, pasteruized via oven, in a trash bag. This has been left to colonize for 4-6 days (I've lost track of em). I have some images of it colonizing, I think everything looks alright but it does smell a little sour, possibly chocolate notes :Sips wine:

Colonizing bulk

Colonizing bulk.JPG

The other side

Cb the other.JPG

Closeups

Cb closeup.JPG cb closeup2.JPG

#26 Thirdeyeplants

Thirdeyeplants

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 97 posts

Posted 03 July 2019 - 10:48 PM

Is that tera cota, or a plastic pot? Just wondering what clay may do to humidity levels...
  • Moonless likes this

#27 Moonless

Moonless

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 136 posts

Posted 04 July 2019 - 11:11 AM

Is that tera cota, or a plastic pot? Just wondering what clay may do to humidity levels...

Plastic pot, the plastic isn't breathable like teracato. Also I have a liner on the inside so it will stay humid in there.

#28 Moonless

Moonless

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 136 posts

Posted 04 July 2019 - 12:56 PM

One Alacabenzi jar that is near full colonization.

Alacabenzi 1.JPG Alacabenzi2.JPG Alacabenzi3.JPG

4/6 of the Burma jars have visible mycelium growing. They are colonizing fast!

Burma1.JPG Burma2.JPG Burma3.JPG Burma4.JPG Burma5.JPG Burma6.JPG

Texas orange cap have yet to show signs of mycelial growth on all 8/8 jars. :Pray: I pray for them.

• roc likes this

#29 Moonless

Moonless

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 136 posts

Posted 06 July 2019 - 01:41 PM

Today has been a big day for me. This morning I went to the thrift store and picked up an electric pressure cooker. I am so excited to use this thing! Grains I have are popcorn, brown rice, quinoa, beans, lentils, bird seed and oats. If yall have used those before and gotten good results let me know!

PC.JPG PC2.JPG

This PC fits 5 pint jars, and I bet could fit many half pint jars.

Jars in the pot.JPG

Yesterday I tried a microwave LC made from water and honey. I inoculated with Cubensis Burma and Golden Oysters.

Yesterdays LC.JPG

Attached Thumbnails

• Duke LLama.JPG
  • Llama2.JPG

#30 Moonless

Moonless

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 136 posts

Posted 07 July 2019 - 10:38 AM

HAHA that pressure cooker is not what I thought it was. First off I couldn't figure out how to set the pressure, I went online and learned that canning cannot be done in those types of devices because they cannot reach 15PSI. Anyway I Iive and I learn. So last night I put 4 pint jars of popcorn spawn into the device and cook it on high for 60 minutes, once that was done I did an extra 30 minutes. I had one extra jar of I put it in a stove top pot to steam for 90 minutes. I am not expecting much from these but I thought I should give it a go so I injected Golden Oyster mushroom syringe into each of the jars.

Anyways I think i'm sticking to rice as it is the best at not contaminating after a steam bath.

image1.jpeg image2.jpeg

#31 Moonless

Moonless

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 136 posts

Posted 07 July 2019 - 10:39 AM

HAHA that pressure cooker is not what I thought it was. First off I couldn't figure out how to set the pressure, I went online and learned that canning cannot be done in those types of devices because they cannot reach 15PSI. Anyway I Iive and I learn. So last night I put 4 pint jars of popcorn spawn into the device and cook it on high for 60 minutes, once that was done I did an extra 30 minutes. I had one extra jar of I put it in a stove top pot to steam for 90 minutes. I am not expecting much from these but I thought I should give it a go so I injected Golden Oyster mushroom syringe into each of the jars.

Anyways I think i'm sticking to rice as it is the best at not contaminating after a steam bath.

image1.jpeg image2.jpeg

#32 Moonless

Moonless

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 136 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 05:40 PM

Over the past few days both strains started pinning.

I have two massive pins on the Hawaii.

Hawaii1.JPG Hawaii2.JPG

And a lot on the Alacabenzi

Alapin1.JPG Alapin2.JPG Alapin3.JPG

Lots of sidepins on Alacabenzi

Sidepins 1.JPG Sidepins2.JPG

This jar is so close to start its own grow.

Front Back.JPG

BackFront.JPG

Overall I am very pleased with both strains. I really appreciate how large the mushrooms of Hawaii strain are, and I appreciate its resilience as it has been growing for close to two months. The Alacabenzi strain on the other hand makes small fruits with a few medium sized ones mixed in. I find that there are more fruits in each flush with this strain vs Hawaii. Another difference between these two grows is that I think the Hawaii culture has an autoimmune disorder as it has been growing all bumpy and it makes a spiral pattern on the stem.

This is whats going on with Alacabenzi

DSC_0610.JPG

So here's something I noticed, it seems that although a cluster of pins emerges but one mushroom. Bad conditions and only enough resources for one of them to grow up?

Edited by Moonless, 08 July 2019 - 06:42 PM.

• Misfit likes this

#33 Moonless

Moonless

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 136 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 06:51 PM

Crazy how fast these jars grew. I posted them four days ago. Here they are today.

DSC_0611.JPG DSC_0612.JPG DSC_0613.JPG

DSC_0614.JPG DSC_0615.JPG DSC_0616.JPG

#34 MizTwyst

MizTwyst

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 14 posts

Posted 10 July 2019 - 09:36 PM

Today has been a big day for me. This morning I went to the thrift store and picked up an electric pressure cooker. I am so excited to use this thing! Grains I have are popcorn, brown rice, quinoa, beans, lentils, bird seed and oats. If yall have used those before and gotten good results let me know!

This PC fits 5 pint jars, and I bet could fit many half pint jars.

attachicon.gifJars in the pot.JPG

Yesterday I tried a microwave LC made from water and honey. I inoculated with Cubensis Burma and Golden Oysters.

attachicon.gifYesterdays LC.JPG

Beginner here. I'm gonna try Azures in microwaved LC with honey tonight, wish me luck lol! Right now figuring out what container to use, I think I'm going to use half pint jars with Tattler lids/rings. I'm using info gleaned off the internet and experience starting plants, canning and making fermented beverages.

Edited by MizTwyst, 10 July 2019 - 11:26 PM.

#35 Moonless

Moonless

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 136 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 09:04 PM

Welcom aboard! Good luck with that LC. in the new vaults there is much information on LC. I use half pint too. LMK how it goes 

#36 Moonless

Moonless

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 136 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 02:50 PM

Here the photos of the jars. The rice is Burma strain, the jar thats fully colonized went crazy after I shook it up, within 5 days it was fully covered in mycelium. The corn is oyster mycelium inoculated with LC and within 4 days it looks like this.

DSC_0625.JPG DSC_0626.JPG DSC_0627.JPG DSC_0628.JPG DSC_0629.JPG DSC_0630.JPG DSC_0631.JPG DSC_0624.JPG DSC_0623.JPG

And the Hawaii is still pinning after last dunk!

DSC_0633.JPG

The fully colonized Alacabenzi jar was spawned to coir a few days ago

DSC_0635.JPG

Edited by Moonless, 14 July 2019 - 02:58 PM.

• Misfit likes this

#37 Moonless

Moonless

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 136 posts

Posted 16 July 2019 - 10:54 PM

Some new updates (Hawaii / Alacabenzi):

The pins grew up nice, growing under an LED grow light sun and a plastic bag ecosystem gated by polyfill. They've been growing for awhile, the Hawaii is the oldest about 2 months or more, and the Alacabenzi about a month and a half. I'm amazed at how much these little ones provide. Just on two successful jar I have managed a personal supply, and have even given some to a few close friends.

The Alacabenzi has started making larger fruits, a more sucessful maturity rate and a standard pinset compared to when I first started it out. The only difference is I donk it more often, and it is cased in peat/verm.

Alacabenzi-the big one.JPG Alazacabenzi_the full show.JPG

The Hawaii Is producing its best flush in awhile after it's last dunk. Since then I dunked it after harvesting.

Wise men.JPG Bundle of sunshine.JPG

I recently expanded an additional cake, It was an Alacabenzi rice cake added to coir. I am pasteurizing the casing for it in the oven. peat/verm.

I really enjoy having a little terarium. I think I want to get a storage large storage bin and make it a perilite carpet and have room for four trays. I enjoy sampling different strains, having two American strains, I am very curious to sample an Asian strain. So the Burma that I have colonizing on rice right now is getting me wet.

The Cubensis mushroom is thought to have originated in Africa and the middle east. I wonder if it has within it the spirit of Eastern religion and culture. I have outright seen symbology of hinduism and buddhism on ingestion of Acepsilocetin (4-Aco-DMT), on the otherhand I have seen the same symbology through my adventures with the mushroom.

Attached Thumbnails

• Collus sunshine.JPG
  • The Bee.JPG

• ItBeBasidia likes this

#38 MizTwyst

MizTwyst

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 14 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 04:00 PM

Welcom aboard! Good luck with that LC. in the new vaults there is much information on LC. I use half pint too. LMK how it goes 

I only did 2 jars, the color is a lot lighter cuz it's out in the sun (out in the sun just for picure :biggrin:) . I made the mistake of shaking the one on the left the night I made them and a bunch of liquid leaked out, I guess all of the sp as well. The one on the right started showing signs of life (that I noticed) on July 16th (6 days).

Attached Thumbnails

• Azzies7.jpg

#39 Moonless

Moonless

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 136 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 06:43 PM

Both have promising growth thats for sure! Thanks for sharing

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!