• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 heaze2010

heaze2010

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 05:26 PM

I'm looking for help from people who have grown this variety. Any tips or suggestions on getting it to fruit. I've read the horror stories over the years about people growing this variety. Everything from extreme overlay,to cauliflower,to not ever fruiting.

What I attempted here was throwing it straight from spawn to bulk right into fruiting conditions hoping to bypass all those issues. But today is day 7 and it is ripping through the coir/verm sub just like its known for,and I'm worried by next week I could be experiencing overlay or the cauliflower issue. On gauges Temp is 75 and Humidity is 95% same as I have with any other grows I've done over the years.

Any help will be appreciated,increase temp? throw a coating of straight verm over the top? absolutely anything?EWX65PD.jpg IMG_0839.jpg IMG_0841.jpg IMG_0842.jpg

• wharfrat likes this

#2 heaze2010

heaze2010

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 06:18 PM

Anyway to get this moved to the sub forum 

Fungi: Magic Mushrooms

This forum seems kinda dead

#3 heaze2010

heaze2010

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 06:19 PM

This makes number 3 so I can move my topic to the appropriate forum

#4 ilikethings

ilikethings

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 23 posts

Posted 29 May 2019 - 07:12 PM

I've used Puerto Ricans.  I'd just let them sit and wait till they fully colonize.  If no contamination, let the fungi continue colonization.  Cool walk-in chamber btw.  Does it happen to have any kind of cross-draft-style fan (output side) and filter (input side) air exchange sub-system?  I'm considering something similar by using a "box" fan (modded with filtered plenum) attached to the top of chamber to draw air from opposite middle side of chamber (port consisting of filtered opening).

Edited by ilikethings, 29 May 2019 - 07:14 PM.

• wharfrat likes this

#5 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 6,392 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 May 2019 - 10:20 PM

it's looking good. is the uncolonized parts a casing or is that the sub uncolonized?  

#6 heaze2010

heaze2010

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 June 2019 - 12:03 AM

Yes the walk-in has a fan on the bottom left corner attached. So it’s feeding fae in from the outside, when the timer clicks on. This particular tray along with a 2nd both got a pin head sized amount of trich , moved outside immediately to compost pile so might still fruit. Out of the 11 trays left, 6 have fruited the other 5 haven’t but they were put in there about a week later so anytime now I expect them to as well. I’m glad I through everything into fruiting conditions right from bulk if not I might of had a mess on my hands, pr seems to aggressively take over casing layers in the matter of days.a49d5d38e40fff684efff0faee375897.jpg70c9deeb4183f988322b5b9cd73e4e94.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#7 WalkingCatfish

WalkingCatfish

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 169 posts

Posted 05 June 2019 - 03:36 PM

I wouldn't make too much of the reports you read online concerning the performance of particular varieties.

I grew a few tubs of Puerto Ricans a couple of months ago (rye from agar, spawned to coir/verm). They were notably robust and contamination-resistant, and fruited as easily as any other variety I've grown.  Fruits were sturdy and well-formed, and they seemed to thrive in the low room-temperature of my late-winter grow room.  Really, the only distinctive feature I noticed about those PRs was that they had fairly tough stems and didn't bruise much. They were still producing regular flushes when I went on vacation a couple of weeks ago, so I buried them in the back yard. I returned from Europe a couple of days ago to find them popping up among the ferns and daylilies in my cool, rainy garden:

PRs in the garden.jpg

Edited by WalkingCatfish, 05 June 2019 - 08:35 PM.

#8 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,472 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 June 2019 - 03:50 PM

Good advice there. Strain specific statements should always be taken with a grain of salt. Not necessarily ignored, but performance can vary significantly, sometimes even from the same spore solution.
Puerto Ricans are or were one of the standouts, legend has good potency but hard to fruit. I grew them way back, those, B+ and EQ. The Puerto Ricans had consistent lower yield, but I don't recall trouble fruiting. Potency was high average. The B+ was the easiest fruiter, high yield with never ending flushes. Only did a few cakes with the EQ, really don't recall much about them.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!