Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

Anyone experienced tripping with low dose SSRI?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Kaliban

Kaliban

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 May 2019 - 07:07 PM

My wife and I are thinking about taking shrooms today, but she is still on a pretty small dose of Sertraline - 25mg daily. She took 1/2 that yesterday and none yet today.

Has anybody here successfully tripped with a similar amount of Sertraline in their system?

My wife started weaning herself off of SSRIs about 2 months ago after a couple decades long habit/Rx. I understand the half-life of Sertraline to be about 26 hours, so I’m sure a week later would be more ideal, but today happens to be our window of opportunity...

Tia for any useful advice

#2 ElPirana

ElPirana

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 41 posts

Posted 25 May 2019 - 07:45 PM

My wife is on fluoxetine and has tripped a few times. I think she was on 20mg/day at the time. No bad symptoms, actually she enjoyed tripping. I’ve read that taking SSRI can reduce the effect of the mushrooms and I would say that was likely the case with my wife. The only other thing to note, she had extremely bad headaches the following day - but that may be completely unrelated.

#3 Kaliban

Kaliban

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 May 2019 - 07:51 PM

Interesting- thanks Pirana!

#4 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 6,390 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 May 2019 - 09:57 PM

no issues noted, might take a bit more to get high but usually not a problem with normal doses.. 

#5 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 6,390 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 May 2019 - 10:00 PM

no issues noted, might take a bit more to get high but usually not a problem with normal doses.. 

I have taken shrooms on and off SSRI, that would be the only noticeable difference is I seemed to get higher easier during the years of no SSRI. I have no data to back up my theory though  :biggrin:

#6 Cuboid

Cuboid

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 571 posts

Posted 26 May 2019 - 07:35 AM

The most believable theory I have read as to why SSRI's reduce your sensitivity to tryptamines like Psilocin is that when on an SSRI the elevated levels of serotonin mean more of the neuro receptors are already bound to Serotonin leaving less for the Psilocin to bind to. Effectively the Serotonin and the Psilocin are competing for the same receptor sites. So you need more Psilocin in your system to out compete all that Serotonin.
  • Heirloom and Moonless like this

#7 Heirloom

Heirloom

Quantum Particle

• OG VIP
  • 4,631 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 May 2019 - 04:17 AM

in the past i used ssri's not lately and had taken shrooms on them years ago i had better trips without ssri's. haven't tripped in a long time, working on integrating what i learned in the past.

my reason for posting is i know dopamine receptors density can be increased by things like meditation dopamine fasting and other activities that humans like to avoid...so does anyone know how to increase 5-ht receptor density. i understand there are different types of serotonin /5 ht receptors and some excite others inhibit.

i would hope increasing serotonin receptor density migt offer some better psychological or other medical benefits.

#8 Microbe

Microbe

civis scientiam

• OG VIP
  • 4,370 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 May 2019 - 06:06 AM

When i first started a SSRI i can absolutely say i had a psychedelic experience but very mild. I would say it was equivalent to the first hour of coming up on mushrooms. 8 only took Zoloft for a very short time becsuse it, to me at least, was evil.

Psychedelics have a great effect on the Serotonin or 5-hydroxytryptamine receptors and there is certainly a correlation between the two and especially that now FDA has approved mushrooms to be used in clinical trials to treat depression and PTSD.

I would be concerned with serotonin syndrome if i were on a SSRI regiment and chose to consume shrooms.

#9 elunicotomas

elunicotomas

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 23 posts

Posted 06 June 2019 - 01:24 PM

I was on Sertraline 4 years ago due to an anxiety problem after I quit smoking. I only notice that MDMA would't make anything on me, and even after a couple of months of finalizing the treatment.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!