• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 levicah

levicah

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 50 posts

Posted 27 May 2019 - 04:59 PM

Shook my rye @ 5 days no problemo. Shook my rye again when the surface was all white. When it recouped and turned all white again...darn it, I shook it a 3rd time, exposing many more partially colonized grains. It took it a while to recoup this time. So, now after several days, the top surface is looks fine but there are  grains that are "slightly bleeding" orangey brown. So, I've read of orange bruising with P.C. in early stages and blue as it nears fruiting stage. The mycelium looks more discolored than a new foreign growth...but I've never abused my grains a 3rd time. Did I screw up? Has anybody abused their grains and got this result?

There is no off smell, and all jars look constantly the same. I dont want to contaminate my poo/verm/coir bulk just to find out I screwed up.

Thanks in advance...any input would be appreciated.  Yes I admit I probably ruptured grains I shouldnt have.

#2 roc

roc

Forum International Moderator

• 7,928 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 May 2019 - 05:20 PM

Welcome to 'Topia!

Grain beaters are tolerated here...

• crazy1, coorsmikey, wharfrat and 2 others like this

#3 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 6,392 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 May 2019 - 10:05 PM

pictures help.. usually, clean mycelium in grain will recover no matter how much you shake them. 5 days is really quick for your first shake, was this from spore or a culture?

• peacefrog likes this

#4 levicah

levicah

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 50 posts

Posted 01 June 2019 - 06:11 PM

pictures help.. usually, clean mycelium in grain will recover no matter how much you shake them. 5 days is really quick for your first shake, was this from spore or a culture?

agar wedges. Yeah, I ended up really breaking a lot of kernels, releasing the water reservoir, starch, pigments into the surrounding mycelium. I had to nock some tubs before the grain juice attracted contaminates. I think things will be ok, I'll know pretty soon. As an observation, mycelium just loves being outside...both cubes and cyans. I had a "I dont care" myco trash heap I threw some manure on, it promptly colonized to the surface so I cased it with chopped straw. I know they fruit year around in the gulf states, so maybe I'll get something before fall. Thought I was hot crap growin mycelium...turns out, initializing fruiting is not so cut and dried. I gave up on indoor cyans...as most do. I got one tub of cubes doing everything it is supposed to do...exept pinning!

• crazy1 and wharfrat like this

#5 peacefrog

peacefrog

Peaceful Frog

• 2,268 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 June 2019 - 05:10 AM

I shake my grain jars early as well and never have an issue unless it’s contaminated. I also frequently shake after 100 percent colonized just to make sure I don’t have any unseen issues before committing to bulk.

I have shaken grain 4-5 times and never had an issue unless i have a competitor.

Good luck and keep us posted.
  • SteampunkScientist and levicah like this

#6 crazy1

crazy1

Celestial Traveler

• VIP
  • 1,995 posts

Posted 02 June 2019 - 05:23 AM

You said you ended up breaking a lot of kernels. 

Now I've done a lot of grain spawn work, and haven't broken any kernels. I've used many different grains as well, andnever remeber seeing this happen.

To me, I think you may have over hydrated, or over PC'd your grain and the hulls got too soft. 

As mentioned, 5 days is quite quick, but not totally unheard of. I usually shake at 25-50% colonization the first time. Then as I feel it's needed. I've broken up spawn bags and shaken jars 5-6 times before.

Best of luck to you and hope your grow is successful 

• levicah likes this

#7 levicah

levicah

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 50 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 12:30 PM

Yeah, I had a dryish batch of grains and didnt like the slow colonizing so this batch I purposely reduced the hot dry time (usually spread on a screen after boiling). I jarred the grains still hot instead of waiting for complete surface drying. Kind of guessing at increasing moisture...I think this allowed the grains to continue cooking somewhat. I think patience has been the biggest challenge in all this. Question: If you had a tub "mat up" on you and you scraped the surface and lightly covered it with coarse verm...the verm is now all knotted up...is there anything else you would do to induce pinning? I know if I dont see anything soon, I will be tempted to properly case it with 2" of verm/coir...but dang, I thought casing was optional! I fear it will mat again and stop absorbing mist. I'm keeping it around 70 - 73 f. holes at the surface and larger holes around the top of the tub really move the air...to the point of no fanning, just misting. What would you do at this point? just wait?

#8 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,472 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 June 2019 - 02:16 PM

That "properly casing with 2 inches" scares me. Proper is more like 1/4 inch. Sounds like you've already done that.

Is this a dub tub or in fruiting chamber?

If you're humidity is good, which I'm betting it is, stop misting, drop a piece of bubble wrap on it and leave it 4 or 5 days.

#9 levicah

levicah

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 50 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 03:38 PM

That "properly casing with 2 inches" scares me. Proper is more like 1/4 inch. Sounds like you've already done that.

Is this a dub tub or in fruiting chamber?

If you're humidity is good, which I'm betting it is, stop misting, drop a piece of bubble wrap on it and leave it 4 or 5 days.  

I actually did that after scraping the top...so you are saying it would initialize pinning at this point? Its a 66L tub, painted bottom, 1/4" holes @ surface level, a few 3/4" holes below the top rim

#10 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,472 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 June 2019 - 05:16 PM

Are you seeing condensation inside the tub? Is there air movement in the room? It should pin.

#11 levicah

levicah

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 50 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 05:24 PM

Are you seeing condensation inside the tub? Is there air movement in the room? It should pin.

Yes and yes...but wont the bubble wrap send it back into a veggie state? or should I leave it on for a few days?

#12 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,472 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 June 2019 - 05:51 PM

It will create a really nice microclimate for pinning. 4 to five days. Or just wait. Seems to be vegetating fine, we want to kick it out of that.
  • levicah likes this

#13 levicah

levicah

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 50 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 06:09 PM

Lets do this!!! thanks JK...I gave up trying to fruit cyans indoors after months of trickery...16 beds wait for fall outdoors. I need this modest success!

• wharfrat likes this

#14 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,472 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 June 2019 - 06:41 PM

What strain is this? Wood lovers are birch to fruit indoors.

#15 levicah

levicah

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 50 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 06:05 PM

What strain is this? Wood lovers are birch to fruit indoors.

P. Cyanescens on fresh alder chips...just couldnt coax them into fruiting indoors... cooling, fluctuating temps, sonic mist clouds...all I know is they love fresh unsterile alder chips and the great outdoors. Now I'm trying to fruit some B+ cubes on poo/verm/coir for the first time...I'm getting a lot more knot clumps since covering them, thanks!

#16 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,472 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 June 2019 - 06:34 PM

No problem. If I ever figure reliable wood lovers indoors, I'll share that info.

#17 levicah

levicah

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 50 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 07:11 PM

I heard that!  I read waylitjims word for word and got really excited, but alas, even he put his tubs outside.

#18 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,472 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 June 2019 - 07:59 PM

I have an idea loosely based on commercial mushroom bottle grows, but even if it works, it will be low yield and a long wait. They have to get that cold cycle. I might be able to handle that.

The other thing is some difficult fruiters have a microbial relationship not fully identified yet. If they don't form that relationship, they don't fruit. There's a method for that too, but you need an outdoor fruiting to harvest a microbial inoculant from.

#19 levicah

levicah

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 50 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 08:17 PM

yeah I agree about microbes. With P.cyans. I think  it could be natural chemicals or compounds that leach into the soil from the plants that cover them, the heavy rains prior to the cold shift creates a "tea" that signals fruiting time...I've even sprayed myco bags with various solutions made from the duff that covers them...but that was just me guessing. To my surprise the colonized mycelium refused to contaminate at lower fruiting temps. Someone will discover the key...I mean they freaking fruit in wet sand from one lowely woodchip year after year...without a colonized substrate! I have theories about isolating micro colonies instead of running the mycelium through a substrate. Some day...lol

#20 crazy1

crazy1

Celestial Traveler

• VIP
  • 1,995 posts

Posted 05 June 2019 - 06:02 AM

.I mean they freaking fruit in wet sand from one lowely woodchip year after year...without a colonized substrate! 

The one lowly wood chip is an island that the spores that were lucky enough to get there began growing on. One the mycelium has colonized that chip it now has energy to take off. How far it takes off to is the question in some ways. What does it reach to grow in symbiosis with??? Maybe it is what's in the soil, which I would consider a colonized substrate, and what else lives there the mycelium either grows with or feeds on. The mycelial mat can literally run for miles to nutrients or water. 

I know in time, most likely a member here, will find the way to get them to fruit indoors with great success. Waylit is a true pioneer in some things, I'll bet he has gotten closer than anyone else who's actually took the time and published their findings/experiences here. 

Best of luck and I hope everyones progress in trying to fruit these with great success comes to happen

• levicah likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!