• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 levicah

levicah

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 36 posts

Posted 05 June 2019 - 10:22 AM

Yes! "the wood chip as an island" started bending my mind towards isolating small colonies instead of running through a bulk substrate. It makes sense that depriving the mycelium of expansion will cause it to fruit or die. If it is a genetic clock, nothing will accelerate fruiting except developing early fruiting or warmer strains...or so me thinks. 

• crazy1 likes this

#22 levicah

levicah

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 36 posts

Posted 05 June 2019 - 01:26 PM

It will create a really nice microclimate for pinning. 4 to five days. Or just wait. Seems to be vegetating fine, we want to kick it out of that.

And just like that...thar be pins! chubby little cinnamon top pins! Thanks JK...they are about 1/16 to 1/8" tall. Big question...should I take the bubble wrap off or should I wait for pins all over? there are at least a dozen but some areas of the tub are bare. This isnt the over shook grains in question...those are just reaching the surface in other tubs...more questions to follow... ye haw!

#23 crazy1

crazy1

Celestial Traveler

• VIP
  • 1,880 posts

Posted 05 June 2019 - 01:29 PM

I will agree with what you are thinking, but the one thing you are leaving out it seems, is if it grows in symbiosis with something else.

Or possibly, the ground/earth/compost of where they grow has a nutrient or biological that we have yet to be able to reproduce indoors.

Just thoughts here, no negative vibes at all. We all learn together

• levicah likes this

#24 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,287 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 June 2019 - 02:30 PM

I see you skimmed crazy1. Lol. We were just talking about that very thing.
The method I've read about requires a successful outdoor fruiting, then you harvest the bits of dirt around the stem bases. This is used to make a microbial slurry, then filtered and used to inoculate a casing layer added to a colonized indoor substrate. Its been used successfully for King Stropharia, an edible that notorious for not fruiting indoors.
  • crazy1 and levicah like this

#25 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,287 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 June 2019 - 02:31 PM

Levicah, if pins are setting nice you can remove the bubble wrap.
  • levicah likes this

#26 levicah

levicah

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 36 posts

Posted 05 June 2019 - 04:10 PM

I will agree with what you are thinking, but the one thing you are leaving out it seems, is if it grows in symbiosis with something else.

Or possibly, the ground/earth/compost of where they grow has a nutrient or biological that we have yet to be able to reproduce indoors.

Just thoughts here, no negative vibes at all. We all learn together

Yeah, thats kinda my point with a genetic clock...stamets fruited P. Cyan straight out of a agar dish, the only thing he doesnt mention is time. The beach dunes in N. cal are sooo rain rinsed by  late october, I have to conclude those sands are nearly sterile. That would be akin to a alder twig or chip buried in perlite.  It's a mystery to me...especially the agar dish. It's a weird little mushroom for sure and has only been found growing where mankind has messed with the landscape. Makes me wonder where trillions of spores hid out for eons until we started building roads, logging and chipping hardwood. I've never heard of or seen them grow in virgin wilderness. Maybe they started off as a dust or jelly mold that mutated to a shelve species and so forth...I like hearing anything that may shed light!

#27 crazy1

crazy1

Celestial Traveler

• VIP
  • 1,880 posts

Posted 05 June 2019 - 08:40 PM

You're right jk, I did skim some. But it seems we're all on the same page. And I have read about the King Stropharia being fruited indoors and the concept seems totally legit! Something I'll watch others do for now. I have to get back into the growing groove

Honestly, Stamets has had a lot of luck and he'll admit it. I have been to his facility and spent some time with him. There were a lot of things discussed and how he got them figured out. And sometimes luck just poked its head up. He is a very intelligent man with some mad fungi skills. 

One thing is, the first thing to arrive and grow in any catastrophe is fungi. So maybe, these are one of the first to reclaim land after this happens. Who knows?

#28 levicah

levicah

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 36 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 07:36 PM

Just a update, I stacked 26 fresh grams of B+ with 2 grams of lions mane extract...posting on a upbeat rosey afterglow. Thought clarity was the most noticeable outcome. The peak was surprisingly physical, music seemed a lot more enjoyable with spats of seratonal euphoria. Not much to report as I intend to microdose the two for mental clarity, positivity and creativity in the coming months. Big thanks for the input here! So...I got this blue green stump field of a tub now. I dont know if the "tub cake" will stay together for a dunk, any input for starting my second flush? Gosh I just got 4 hours sleep and I woke to spore freakin city. So how bad is spores for hindering a second flush? Any input would be greatly appreciated. My other larger tubs are cracking the whip on me...I gotta case those bad boys soon if not today. I will be using the bubble wrap advice on these "overshook" tubs as well. Thanks again!

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!