10 replies to this topic

#1 Justintime

Justintime

Justincase

• OG VIP
  • 2,185 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 May 2019 - 12:04 PM

Who's afraid of the Dentist. I am. Not because I have bad teeth. It's because they can be rough on my teeth and costly.

I sat in the chair last visit just to be told how they want to deep clean my teeth roots of tartar build up. They pull down your gums to do it. They never recover and your teeth become sensitive. Sounds great! One hundred and sixty dollars for the consult ka-chingggg!

So I bought myself a ten dollar dentist tool kit online. Stainless steel. Has a mirror scrapers a double ended hook scraper.

What I've found is that by doing it myself I'm way better at being gentle and avoiding hurting myself. I can feel where the calculus is under my gums around my tooth roots. I just scrape away until the tool doesn't feel rough anymore.

It's actually easier to do without looking in the mirror. What I'm doing would likely cost me hundreds of dollars and alot of pain not to mention needles and damaged gums.
Give it a try before you fork out money to Dentists. It gets your mouth cleaner than brushing or flossing too.
  • Cuboid and Rantrapr like this

#2 firerat

firerat

Why am I so thirsty....

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,033 posts

Donator

Posted 28 May 2019 - 12:24 PM

I can't even manage to floss without something bleeding and a lot of bad words.

I'm going to hard pass on using my own poky prodding sharp things on myself, but more power to you if it works for you.

• DreamingRaven likes this

#3 Cuboid

Cuboid

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 630 posts

Posted 28 May 2019 - 02:53 PM

Is it safe?

<jk>

Edited by Cuboid, 28 May 2019 - 02:55 PM.

• Justintime and jkdeth like this

#4 Cuboid

Cuboid

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 630 posts

Posted 28 May 2019 - 02:59 PM

"I sat in the chair last visit just to be told how they want to deep clean my teeth roots of tartar build up. They pull down your gums to do it." - sounds utterly barbaric. In the UK this kind of "de-scaling" is done with ultrasonic water jet thingy. I have a domestic version 'water pick' which is quite effective and which I should use more often.
  • Skywatcher likes this

#5 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Twilight Walker

• 6,928 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 May 2019 - 05:19 PM

Love the water pick! I use it with some regularity.

Sharp metal pokey things would never get used in my mouth.

Maybe on clay sculpture in the making, but not going in my mouth.

• DreamingRaven likes this

#6 Justintime

Justintime

Justincase

• OG VIP
  • 2,185 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 May 2019 - 06:21 AM

@Firerat. Yes I had the bleeding gums. I could just run a fingertip across them and they bled. I worked out it's from calcium/tartar buildup on the back of the teeth. Then food gets stuck between them at the base. Gum gets inflamed and swells up with the old food trapped between teeth. Gums get infected and bleed. That food is what turns into calculus- dark brown hard chips keeping open space between teeth and gums so infection can move further down the tooth roots. It caused gum disease. I think the acids from the bacteria start to kill the gum between teeth. Feels bruised and goes dark before dying off.
Tooth pick test. Push a tooth pick past the gums where you get blood rising out. Tooth pick will likely come out smelly.

Yeah it hurts and it makes blood pour out but that's the hidden infection.
Really need to chip/scrape away the tartar on the other side of the tooth so you can push a thin toothpick all the way through. Otherwise the gap keeps getting food stuck in there. When you swish salt water it doesn't pass between teeth and gums.

I never knew this but gum disease is actually contagious.

Make up strong warm salt water and brush/swish with a soft brush.

I like the sharp hook scraper I use. It's only sharp so you can slide the tip between teeth and gum. If it were blunt tipped it would hurt getting it past gums.

Once under the gum I just gently feel for anything hard that my nerves don't react to (because not part of my body) and gently pick away at it until it all comes loose.

Yeah the dentist told me they would numb my whole mouth with needles. Told me my teeth would always be sensitive afterwards.
Everytime I've been to a dentist I've experienced pain. All of them only for a scrape and clean. Because they rush through it. Slip and jam tools in my gums, hold the jet on my teeth for too long and burning my teeth.
I read people saying gums have never recovered and exposed roots.

Anyways great tool set. Once used to using its really easy. Will save myself alot of money and gum damage.
  • firerat and Cuboid like this

#7 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 6,866 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 May 2019 - 12:14 PM

Rinse your mouth with coconut oil - and spit when you're done. Various compounds in the coconut oil are beneficial to your oral tissues and will promote recovery of damaged tissue. Spit the coconut oil into the trash - not the sink drain. The oil will clog your drain in short order if you put it down the sink. 

The real trick is daily, habitual maintenance - brushing and flossing. Next is diet. Avoid readily available sugars - candy, sodas, pastries, - except in moderation. Avoid strong acids - sodas, many processed fruit juices, etc. 

If you produce excess amounts of tartar you might consider visiting 3 times a years instead of just two (or one). The visits will be cheaper and less labor intensive - discuss this with your dentist. Nothing beats a few 45-minute cleaning sessions compared to an expensive, multi-visit, de-scaling. 

Edited by Myc, 29 May 2019 - 12:15 PM.

• Justintime likes this

#8 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 13,759 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 May 2019 - 04:37 PM

I brush my last eleven teeth with a cheap electric tooth brush and hydrogen peroxide.   I went in last year for three crowns and a couple extractions and was told how clean my teeth were.  I wish I had been doing that before I lost all those teeth to gum disease.  When I started taking care of my gums, they stopped bleeding and I stopped losing my teeth so fast.  The molars were the first to go, and with six of the original eight bicuspids remaining, with all three uppers broken, I got three crowns to at least get me something I could chew with.   Maybe I will get implants after I hit six numbers on the lotto.

• Myc, Juthro and Justintime like this

#9 Soliver

Soliver

Deviant

• OG VIP
  • 3,272 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 June 2019 - 02:37 AM

You just need to team up with a couple more geriatric friends and go the 'human centipede' route. 

If you're in the middle or the end, dental hygiene is a thing of the past.

Naturally, I'd be more than happy to assist in any part of the procedure:

Human-Centipede-3-Vinyl-Decal-Sticker__9

Just trying to help.

:)

soliver

• roc and Skywatcher like this

#10 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 13,759 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 June 2019 - 09:22 PM

Yeesh, and we were actually concerned that Soliver was lost out there somewhere.  Well, heeeeee's baaaack!

• Soliver and Skywatcher like this

#11 roc

roc

Forum International Moderator

• 7,981 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 June 2019 - 10:18 PM

Yeesh, and we were actually concerned that Soliver was lost out there somewhere.  Well, heeeeee's baaaack!

Yea he's the last one in the line!

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!