16 replies to this topic

#1 K3ilyS

K3ilyS

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 May 2019 - 03:47 PM

Hello guys!
Im K3ily and new to your wonderful forum. I already got a lot of help and advise from your site, but now i have a question that hasn't been answered yet. Well that's clear since no cacti are alike lol
I am a bloody rookie in cactus cultivation and have acquired my San Pedro and Peyote about a week ago. I've read myself into the topic and really enjoy it already. I am so in love with them, but that's not the point

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20190528_195423.jpg
  • IMG_20190528_195416.jpg
  • IMG_20190528_195411.jpg
  • IMG_20190528_195403.jpg
  • IMG_20190528_195354.jpg

• Boebs likes this

#2 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Twilight Walker

• 6,955 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 May 2019 - 05:12 PM

Welcome to Mycotopia K3ilyS.

After a total of 3 posts, you will become a free member, able to post in any of the forums. So you now only need two more posts. We can also move this to Botanicals for you at that time. 

I've studied your pictures, and am not seeing anything unusual on the skin..... It actually looks like a pretty healthy Yote.

#3 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 6,690 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 May 2019 - 06:05 PM

I don't see anything bad in those pic either, well on the actual cactus anyways. One thing that catches my moderately experienced eye, is the wet rich soil. If I watered any of my yotes like that, I would come back in two days to a shriveled up slimy dead yote. If any of the ones I have sit in wet soil for any period of time I kill them. Did you just get this beauty in the pics or have you had it and been watering like a houseplant this whole time? 

Edit after re-reading the OP:  I would advise you to take that lil guy back out of that soil immediately. Let it dry out for a few days and do some research on some sandy soil for that baby. If you feel and soggy squishy spots in the lower ends of it, immediately ask us for advice on how to save it. 

Edited by coorsmikey, 28 May 2019 - 06:10 PM.

• onediadem, Skywatcher and DreamingRaven like this

#4 DreamingRaven

DreamingRaven

Seeker

• VIP
  • 228 posts

Posted 28 May 2019 - 09:40 PM

I grow cacti and succulents for a living and I'll second mikey on his advice, take that darling out of that wet soil , like right now.  Easiest way to kill cacti is over-watering. I've got 14 peyote now that  I water every few months, they need no more than that. The next thing I'd advise is get a good soil mix, I use potting soil/perlite/sand/pebbles in about a 3/1/1/1 mixture.

• Skywatcher and Heirloom like this

#5 K3ilyS

K3ilyS

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 May 2019 - 04:03 AM

Thanks for the advise already, wow!
Ive actually purchased cactus soil with a fair amount of sand in it. I thought it was enough, since the people from the online store even said normal potting soil would be just fine. But okay, i will take it out and let it dry. I won't be able to go to the gardening store today to buy the right stuff, but tomorrow. Is that ok? Should i just leave it lying around somewhere?

And regarding the watering, i have heard that you should water them about once a week, and let the soil completely dry out between watering.
But i trust you guys more haha
Do you like the pot, btw? I have 4 cm of drainage rocks at the bottom, the rest is pre fertilized cactus soil. Using this for my san pedro as well.

But it makes me happy to hear that the brown spots are not rot :)))

#6 K3ilyS

K3ilyS

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 May 2019 - 04:12 AM

Ok, i have taken it out now. The lower part doesn't feel particularly squishy or soft, the root is fine as well. But you can see the brown spots even better, worryingly.
I'll send pics.

Attached Thumbnails

• 15591209451834332089080264922363.jpg
  • 15591209898387469627537075744539.jpg
  • 15591210309693218685746337046559.jpg

#7 Heirloom

Heirloom

Quantum Particle

• OG VIP
  • 4,631 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 May 2019 - 05:16 AM

welcome, love the peyote. sending good vibes for your peyote.

#8 DreamingRaven

DreamingRaven

Seeker

• VIP
  • 228 posts

Posted 29 May 2019 - 09:26 AM

Thanks for the advise already, wow!
Ive actually purchased cactus soil with a fair amount of sand in it. I thought it was enough, since the people from the online store even said normal potting soil would be just fine. But okay, i will take it out and let it dry. I won't be able to go to the gardening store today to buy the right stuff, but tomorrow. Is that ok? Should i just leave it lying around somewhere?

And regarding the watering, i have heard that you should water them about once a week, and let the soil completely dry out between watering.
But i trust you guys more haha
Do you like the pot, btw? I have 4 cm of drainage rocks at the bottom, the rest is pre fertilized cactus soil. Using this for my san pedro as well.

But it makes me happy to hear that the brown spots are not rot :)))

Well, it's been my experience that watering them once a week will lead to a pile of rotting goo. Peyote go for months, potentially as long as a year between rain in their natural environment, and if you water them that often what will happen is they will keep taking water until their very cells burst.  They are not able to use so much water, cacti in general did not develop to do so. You're working with plants that arose in arid environments and do not need water in such quantities.

Edited by DreamingRaven, 29 May 2019 - 09:34 AM.

• Skywatcher likes this

#9 K3ilyS

K3ilyS

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 May 2019 - 10:55 AM

Okay thanks. I have put it in some of the dry cactus soil in a plastic bag now and i am waiting for the perlite to arrive. There is already a fair bit of sand in the soil, i guess with perlite it should do the trick.
But after all, do you guys think it's rot?

#10 K3ilyS

K3ilyS

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 May 2019 - 10:56 AM

And thanks a lot Heirloom ^^ sending good vibes to you too mate

#11 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 6,895 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 May 2019 - 11:08 AM

Looks like a healthy plant to me too. I don't see any rot anywhere. 

Use sharp sand and coarse grit in your soil mix - perlite will do the job too. You want that mix to drain quite rapidly.

Then, as mentioned above, don't over-water your plant. Watering about once a quarter (every three months) should be sufficient depending upon your climate. 

• Skywatcher likes this

#12 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 6,690 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 May 2019 - 11:40 AM

This pic here with the orange spot. Keep and eye on the spot for the next few days. If it did get too much water and starts to turn to goo, That orange spot is likely where it will start. Am I correct to assume that this is the spot in concern and thus the topic of this thread?

Oh yeah! Nice pot BTW!

post-159472-0-60690600-1559121139.jpg

Edited by coorsmikey, 29 May 2019 - 11:54 AM.

#13 K3ilyS

K3ilyS

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 June 2019 - 04:21 AM

Yes, this is the spot that concerns me. So what is that then? I've heard that it could be stretch marks or something?
Thank you guys! :)

#14 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Twilight Walker

• 6,955 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 June 2019 - 09:05 AM

It's an area of old growth at the base below ground. Natural calouse and folds will occur there. Right now it does not look too bad but as Mikey said, keep an eye on it. You can leave a peyote out of soil for a while before repotting. It would actually be good to do so to dry things off thouroughly.

I live in a very dry and hot summer area. I also have less than 7-15 nights a year that get frost so I can grow my cactus outside all year. I intentionally use clay pots, and very coarse rocky soil for my yotes, and move them under the eaves when rain is coming. 

Temperature is IMO as important as humidity to establish what watering schedule suits you best. It is better to under water than to over do, and if the day temps are not over 72, I don't water at all. Cold wet soil is a death sentence.

In the summer, I run highs of 80- 110 F, and humidity of less than 15%, usually 10-12%. As a result, one watering will have dry soil again in 48 hours. In those months I can water as often as every week and a half, but I tend to go about two weeks. 

If you see any signs that orange coloration is spreading around the tan/brown spot, it can be removed and re-scarred, but you don't want to do that unless it is imperative. A healthy cactus in a good environment will dry that out and scarr it off naturally when it is minor as what I am seeing in your pictures.

How is your environment?

• Myc, DreamingRaven and Heirloom like this

#15 K3ilyS

K3ilyS

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 June 2019 - 09:41 AM

So. Repotted it now with some perlite and sand. Do you like it? Even looks as if it was going to flower?
Thank you guys so much!

Attached Thumbnails

• 15594864118974067973539966508558.jpg

• Myc, Skywatcher and Heirloom like this

#16 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 6,895 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 June 2019 - 09:57 AM

Yep, looks like you're going to get a flower. 

Do some hand-pollinating and you'll likely get a couple of seeds.

• Skywatcher and K3ilyS like this

#17 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Twilight Walker

• 6,955 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 June 2019 - 08:39 AM

Looks good. I would also recommend you leave that dry for the next 3 to 4 weeks, so the root tuber has a good chance to dry and scar, helping any "iffy" root areas to solid up. 

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!