• Please log in to reply
2929 replies to this topic

#2901 JNC180

JNC180

Mycophiliac

• Myco Newb
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 04:41 PM

Hi! I'm a new member just dropping in to introduce myself. I've got a nice summer stretch ahead of me which means I finally have time to expand my gardening skills. I'm brand new to this type of growing though, so I'm excited to learn and happy to be here!

PS, I just read the Declaration of Contribution and I think it's awesome. High five to the authors, I'm handwriting it into my log as we speak.

• coorsmikey, wharfrat and Juddlight like this

#2902 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 6,380 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 June 2019 - 09:40 PM

Hello my fellow fungi fanatics I'm new here but not to this hobby or other dedicated sites. I'm looking forward to meeting new ppl and experiencing new ideas and growing tek's. So until I can actually post immediate dialogue good luck with all your shrooms endeavors.

Greetings all,

As the username suggests... I have no idea what I am doing!  But I am here to learn.  I've recently learned of the myriad of benefits associated with Psilocybin mushrooms.  With the recent decriminalization that's taken place in a few US cities, I considering attempting to grow them.  I am very ignorant right now, but will attempt to educate myself prior to attempting this (and prior to asking questions!).  Thanks for all who have contributed to making it possible to educate myself.

Hi! I'm a new member just dropping in to introduce myself. I've got a nice summer stretch ahead of me which means I finally have time to expand my gardening skills. I'm brand new to this type of growing though, so I'm excited to learn and happy to be here!

PS, I just read the Declaration of Contribution and I think it's awesome. High five to the authors, I'm handwriting it into my log as we speak.

welcome aboard, friends  :biggrin:

#2903 Madame63

Madame63

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 12:53 AM

Hi my name doƱ and I'm new here I've been reading posts and discussions for yeeeaaars now tho and finally decided to join! Stoaked!

#2904 Juddlight

Juddlight

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 13 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 04:56 PM

New to this hobby and found this site researching, looking forward to the info and conversation here...
  • wharfrat likes this

#2905 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 6,380 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 June 2019 - 05:01 PM

New to this hobby and found this site researching, looking forward to the info and conversation here...

welcome aboard  :biggrin:

#2906 Juddlight

Juddlight

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 13 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 05:21 PM

Gonna pick up my supplies next week. One question i have is shld i start with vermiculite and rice flour, or coco coir and rye? Also looking to colonize in jars to make the cakes if i go vermiculite but saw a guy colonize the rye bags and mix it all in with the coir. With method is better? Thanks
  • wharfrat likes this

#2907 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 6,380 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 June 2019 - 05:29 PM

Gonna pick up my supplies next week. One question i have is shld i start with vermiculite and rice flour, or coco coir and rye? Also looking to colonize in jars to make the cakes if i go vermiculite but saw a guy colonize the rye bags and mix it all in with the coir. With method is better? Thanks

the PF Tek is the easiest way to get started, we usually suggest starting there for your first grow. You can get a lot more mush though with coir or manure based sub and whole grain. 

#2908 Juddlight

Juddlight

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 13 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 05:30 PM

the PF Tek is the easiest way to get started, we usually suggest starting there for your first grow. You can get a lot more mush though with coir or manure based sub and whole grain.

Thanks...does it much matter wich strain i start with? Was gonna start with b plus but the site im looking at is out of stock. Is AA plus good for a first timer? Does it even matter?
Appreciate the quick response here thank you

Edited by coorsmikey, 12 June 2019 - 05:38 PM.

• wharfrat likes this

#2909 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 6,380 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 June 2019 - 05:50 PM

AA+ is highly recomemnded. There are a few that are much easier than others, AA+ is a great strain to start with. GT is another of the easy growing strains, with good potency.

#2910 Juddlight

Juddlight

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 13 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 05:51 PM

Cool thanks wharfrat
  • wharfrat likes this

#2911 Juddlight

Juddlight

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 13 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 06:34 PM

So gonna set up in a basement closet its only bout 65-68 degrees mb. Will this be a problem?

#2912 Juddlight

Juddlight

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 13 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 06:36 PM

So gonna set up in a basement closet its only bout 65-68 degrees mb. Will this be a problem?

#2913 Juddlight

Juddlight

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 13 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 06:37 PM

I have a plant heating pad from when the girlfriend tried to sprout palms lol...I cld put under the tub...

#2914 joeya

joeya

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 162 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 06:49 PM

I have a plant heating pad from when the girlfriend tried to sprout palms lol...I cld put under the tub...

Most people will tell you this is a bad idea. I would say go for it, but use a fan. I used a reptile heating pad under a pieces of ceramic tile for my first grow, and my spare room was the same temperature range as your closet. As long as you keep a fan on the hot spot to dissipate the heat you should be fine. You may want to put some kind of spacer between the tub and the heating pad to keep it from getting too hot. Dialling in your temps is the most critical part of colonization, so do you're best to get it right. 

#2915 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,257 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 June 2019 - 06:54 PM

You're just on the edge of cool. If its a small closet, a heating in there with the door closed will probably bring the temperature up enough without putting the tub directly on it. They'll colonize 68+ but cam be really slow

#2916 Juddlight

Juddlight

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 13 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 07:04 PM

Gotcha guys thanks, I'll set up above the pad when i get it going. Pry safe to shut the pad off during fruiting tho right? Will have a small cool florescent light in there for that

#2917 joeya

joeya

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 162 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 07:11 PM

fruiting you want it cooler. And, don't leave that light on a whole lot. They only need the light to know which way to grow, maybe two hours a day, if even that, is plenty. 

#2918 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,257 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 June 2019 - 07:14 PM

Probaly safe. Some like it hot. Set your heat pad up prior to starting and check the closet temp after 24 hours. It may get warmer than you think. Just better to make sure it doesn't shoot above 80

#2919 Juddlight

Juddlight

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 13 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 10:38 PM

Ive been reading on here for hrs lol...alright thanks for all the advice....gonna order some spores tonight and get the rest of materials when they get here

#2920 SpawnOfStuntzii

SpawnOfStuntzii

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 07:54 PM

Hey Community,

I just started an interest in growing some edible mushrooms (portobellos/shiitakes) because i have been a long time gardener growing exotics such as fly traps, lily pads, orchids, all fruits n veggies, marijuana (legal in Oregon), and i always make my own compost teas, nutrients, mulches, and my own created genetics. While i was doing some research on starting some supermarket available shrooms i discovered that a family of psilocybin carries my family's name and some of you old school PNW Pickers that were around in the 70-80's probably know the man these shrooms are named after! COOL! So now of course i am on an epic quest to find/grow those specific psilocybin's and learn little bit more about that history attached to my family. I've got a permanent Green Thumb with plants indoor and out but I'mma green horn with growing myco's so thanks for any help that comes my way, and i am more than happy to share my knowledge on desert gardening whenever applicable!

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!