#3261 KapnDank

KapnDank

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 426 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 August 2019 - 08:18 PM

Hello all!
I am a complete myco noob and have been searching the threads on this site for a few weeks now and thought I would join to get more detailed info about my particular situation. I also know that it is a real pain when someone asks questions that are easily located in other threads. I will continue to search for a while longer and then post questions after I finish pulling my hair out of my skull! I have started my very first grain spawn over the past few months with nothing but failures so far. My problems are not contamination related. More like mycelium growth problems. My growth always stalls. I will get a golf ball sized growth and then nothing, thats it. I can get some more growth by breaking the ball up (I am using bags) but it stalls shortly after. At first I was thinking low moisture content but I can see light condensation in the bag. All I can think of with my very limited experience is that my supplier might be sending me really old stale spores. I would love to get input. I know I just said that I would look for answers a bit longer before posting but I figured I would ask anyway while I continue to search for this particular problem. Maybe someone has a link?

IME you have to sterilize grain bags longer than jars because it takes longer to get heat into the center of the grains. Also if your innoculating grains directly with spores there can be mixed results.
Spore syringes will have some contams in them, usually bacteria which makes going spores to grain pretty iffy. You can try going spores>agar>grain. That'll ensure you have a clean culture to work with(which I recommend) or, if you don't feel like tackling agar just yet, you can try making PF cakes and crumbling them into bulk as your spawn. Cakes are more contam resistant than grains. Everything loves sterile grains lol

Edited by KapnDank, 11 August 2019 - 08:20 PM.

• Seeker2be, Amanita Versicula and Jinroh like this

#3262 Jinroh

Jinroh

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 372 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 11:03 PM

Hello again!

I am just replying to thank users Myc and KapnDank! I will get some images soon. I have bought supplies already to try PF since I seem to be having so much difficulty so far and from what you have told me, I will be better off trying PF with agar being the best option. And as far as spores are concered, I do not have access to any from the wild to make spore prints from so I am stuck trusting suppliers until I get a successful grow to make my own. I have researched grain bag and PF and agar and have no issues trying agar but I am not sure I have a clean enough environment for agar until I can get a laminar flow HEPA. So, I will assemble my PF jars and give that a try. I still have two syringes of Golden Teacher which I will try with the PF. I have more syringes of another strain "Alacabenzi" on the way and I ordered them double strength. I am just trying to get something going so I can make my own spores. The syringes are expensive!

I am starting off by using the smaller 8oz straight sided mason jars for PF. I know that for grain bags I should usie 1ml liquid spores per pound grain, but for PF with a smaller spawn medium of 8oz, I am unsure how much spore liquid to inject to keep moisture levels correct. I plan on using the standard brown rice flower and I have self healing injector ports and .45um PTFE heat resistant filter discs  and food grade high temp silicone RTV to glue them onto the lids. I should be able to reuse the lids since everything is high temp and inorganic. I have a small machine shop so I will use a diamond hollow core drill bit to make the holes in the lids which will be almost laser perfect without deforming the lids. I am using Robert McPherson's recipe.

So, any recommondations as to how much fluid to use in a smaller 8oz (.5 pint) jars? 

Thanks again!

#3263 JustLearning999

JustLearning999

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 06:46 AM

What's up? New here. Observer for awhile and first grow dates back to 2005. Haven't grown mushies in awhile. But here to learn where the sites official vendors are?

Specifically looking for PE varieties only.

I KNOW a lot of people say its the same but back in 2007 i had some PEs that were truly more pleasant than traditional cubes. I feel like mushrooms are in a small and large way similar to cannabis.

A lot of the goods we have no idea even exist.

Time and science will tell us!

I'm humble and stand to be corrected if im wrong.

#3264 KapnDank

KapnDank

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 426 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 August 2019 - 03:29 PM

Hello again!
I am just replying to thank users Myc and KapnDank! I will get some images soon. I have bought supplies already to try PF since I seem to be having so much difficulty so far and from what you have told me, I will be better off trying PF with agar being the best option. And as far as spores are concered, I do not have access to any from the wild to make spore prints from so I am stuck trusting suppliers until I get a successful grow to make my own. I have researched grain bag and PF and agar and have no issues trying agar but I am not sure I have a clean enough environment for agar until I can get a laminar flow HEPA. So, I will assemble my PF jars and give that a try. I still have two syringes of Golden Teacher which I will try with the PF. I have more syringes of another strain "

Alacabenzi" on the way and I ordered them double strength. I am just trying to get something going so I can make my own spores. The syringes are expensive!

I am starting off by using the smaller 8oz straight sided mason jars for PF. I know that for grain bags I should usie 1ml liquid spores per pound grain, but for PF with a smaller spawn medium of 8oz, I am unsure how much spore liquid to inject to keep moisture levels correct. I plan on using the standard brown rice flower and I have self healing injector ports and .45um PTFE heat resistant filter discs and food grade high temp silicone RTV to glue them onto the lids. I should be able to reuse the lids since everything is high temp and inorganic. I have a small machine shop so I will use a diamond hollow core drill bit to make the holes in the lids which will be almost laser perfect without deforming the lids. I am using Robert McPherson's recipe.

So, any recommondations as to how much fluid to use in a smaller 8oz (.5 pint) jars?

Thanks again!

Sounds like you have a solid plan. I loved working with alacabenzi. They gave me nice fat fruits with caps larger than my palms.

A flowhood is like a Cadillac. It's not necessary but man does it make thing go so smoothly.(I love my flowhood, best investment in a long time) you can also do agar in a SAB (still air box) although it'll take some practice learning to use one. They're basically just a large clear tote flipped upside down on a clean surface with two arm holes in the side of the tote.
Start a thread in the cultivation area and I and many others will be happy to help you along on your grow. I'll personally keep an eye out for it. Welcome and mush love
Edit: oh yeah 1ml per jar for pf cakes. It's best to make 4 innoculation holes, evenly spaced, and close to the edges. Inject 1/4ml in each hole. Also high temp rtv will work perfectly fine but regular clear silicone works(adheres) a little better and it's still tough enough to withstand sterilization temps

Edited by KapnDank, 12 August 2019 - 03:37 PM.

#3265 Growgrowgadgetgrow

Growgrowgadgetgrow

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 06:35 PM

Has anyone else experienced weak quality mushrooms with the first flush? Later flushes seem to be more potent. Any way to remedy this problem?

#3266 Jinroh

Jinroh

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 372 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 08:22 PM

KapnDank!

Thanks for the info! I will keep the thread updated on my progress! I do have a still air box that you mentioned which I use when I inoculate but I did not think that would be good enough for using agar plates. I live in a old house and there is so much crap flying around there is not much I can do about it. I know agar is the best way to go. I will eventually move to that method once I manage to get a decent spore inventory and better equipment.

#3267 cappisdelecti

cappisdelecti

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 30 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 03:33 AM

Has anyone else experienced weak quality mushrooms with the first flush? Later flushes seem to be more potent. Any way to remedy this problem?

Yes, you should throw away all the first flush mushies and send them to me. :biggrin:

• Valentina likes this

#3268 DeepSeeDweller

DeepSeeDweller

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 03:47 AM

Just finished my first flush a few weeks ago and I am actually amazed by the effects of only using a small mushroom. So no, I don't seem to think they are weak, but I'll update you when the second flush is done.

#3269 kingtoad

kingtoad

Mycophiliac

• Myco Newb
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 08:49 AM

If you're a new member, Welcome to Mycotopia.  There is a wealth of knowledge here, and a lot of people with experience that you can draw from.   The best way to tap into this knowledge is to say hello, and start to meet fellow mycoites.

I am retired librarian and I am interested in ancient Meso American culture and art.  I took my first trip on morning glory seeds and I was impressed by the intensity of the experience. What's great about morning glory seeds is that are legal and inexpensive.  The Mayans took morning glory seeds in rituals at night to diagnose illness and locate stolen property.  I tripped for about 7 hrs.  And I was able to sleep, unlike L.S.D.which tends to keep me awake all night.

#3270 biran

biran

Mycophiliac

• Myco Newb
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 09:18 AM

Hey folks, here is another new member.

I found Mycotopia when I came across Neptunechild's cactus grow log last year. It was neat. I have read more since then, and I appreciate the respectful attitude members seem to have for both plants and knowledge itself.

Looking forward to take part in wild mushroom related discussions and possibly more later on.

#3271 Amanita Versicula

Amanita Versicula

Sanity Within

• Banned Member
  • 335 posts

Donator

Posted 13 August 2019 - 09:38 AM

Heya ALL NEW FRIENDS~

WELCOME TO "UTOPIA" cuz you will find more here than just FUNGI Knowledge

people THAT CARE~and are concerned when "we=me" ARE NOT IN CHARACTER.

HAVING A ROUGH TIME? I am a certified Social Worker~and probably WHY 

i am krazy as i am….BUT i have found people care about me.

i AM NOT A GREAT GROWER~and mush UP more than I ACCOMPLISH~

FUNGI is a very delicate dance~but i will always be FORAGING & drinking MEDICAL FUNG...

IF ANYONE has any questions about MEDICINAL FUNGI i will tell you all i KNOW aboutmy

​RESEARCH on PUBMED.com & NIH.com~

i so love reading abstracts NOT just communing w/the UNIVERSE

BE WELL-BE SAFE-LIVE TO LOVE

• cappisdelecti and Kensho like this

#3272 Kensho

Kensho

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 60 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 11:34 AM

So glad to be here! And I am so glad you are all here! 

I've had my share of experiences with various entheogens, however I've wanted to engage more with the mushroom lately. 

New grower here, so I'm learning a lot. As of now I'm just following plain and simple PF tek.

I innoc'd my 25   4oz Ball Jars on 7/31 

I've kept them in a clean room with a space heater keeping the room at 80F/75F. 

I'm seeing growth in 3 jars, it's obviously 8/09 today.

Is the space heater a bad idea? Next time I will not use it. Should i stop using it now? I do not have the heater blowing 24/7 but rather moderating a temp by going on and off every hour or so. I do not have it blowing directly on the cakes in hopes to not dry them out. 

Thanks for your welcoming support! 

I'm learning a lot and have much more to come! Glad to finally be apart of this community!

-kensho

UPDATE: the 3 jars are the only ones still showing any signs of growth. I opened up a jar and it felt very dry. I won't be using the heater at all anymore; Rather, I have setup the classic TiT method with a 150w fish tank heater. The temp is 80f-82f in the tote.

I knocked up 10 half pints this morning hoping that they wont dry out and i'll make it to the fruiting chamber. Just a quick update, not sure where else to post it! 

Thanks for being encouraging and supportive!! Big love from the mushroom kingdom!

Edited by Kensho, 13 August 2019 - 02:38 PM.

• Amanita Versicula and cappisdelecti like this

#3273 cappisdelecti

cappisdelecti

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 30 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 03:46 PM

​Thanks for your welcome.

​The amount of information in the forum is massive and takes quite a while to absorb. Everyone seems very willing to help and that is so amazing!

I'd love to learn more about medical fungi and especially from a social worker's perspective.

​I've been busy learning. I started with spore syringes and rye berry bags. That was totally unsuccessful and rather frustrating. So I built a hybrid schmuv box, learned agar techniques, liquid innoculants/cultures and how to make WBS jars and bags. With those improvements (and some other small things) I've had a measure of success.

​The "hobby" is so much fun, I've become somewhat obsessed with love for the mycellium.

• Amanita Versicula and Kensho like this

#3274 Docohm

Docohm

Mycophiliac

• Myco Newb
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 03:25 AM

Hi everyone! I just started my first grow I'm doing chronic tek. My jars are 5 days in and showing a fantastic amount of mycelium. I keep coming back to this site for knowledge from everyone so I wanted to join and say thank you! This journey is quite fun so far!!
  • cappisdelecti likes this

#3275 Caerulescens

Caerulescens

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 07:29 AM

Heya, just a refugee seeking asylum
  • cappisdelecti likes this

#3276 WEATHERD

WEATHERD

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 06:05 AM

Hello people,been into this for a couple of months, got 12 bfr cakes in HP jars 6days old mycelium looks a little grey is this normal,

#3277 WEATHERD

WEATHERD

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 06:09 AM

So glad to be here! And I am so glad you are all here!

I've had my share of experiences with various entheogens, however I've wanted to engage more with the mushroom lately.

New grower here, so I'm learning a lot. As of now I'm just following plain and simple PF tek.

I innoc'd my 25 4oz Ball Jars on 7/31
I've kept them in a clean room with a space heater keeping the room at 80F/75F.
I'm seeing growth in 3 jars, it's obviously 8/09 today.

Is the space heater a bad idea? Next time I will not use it. Should i stop using it now? I do not have the heater blowing 24/7 but rather moderating a temp by going on and off every hour or so. I do not have it blowing directly on the cakes in hopes to not dry them out.

Thanks for your welcoming support!

I'm learning a lot and have much more to come! Glad to finally be apart of this community!

-kensho

UPDATE: the 3 jars are the only ones still showing any signs of growth. I opened up a jar and it felt very dry. I won't be using the heater at all anymore; Rather, I have setup the classic TiT method with a 150w fish tank heater. The temp is 80f-82f in the tote.

I knocked up 10 half pints this morning hoping that they wont dry out and i'll make it to the fruiting chamber. Just a quick update, not sure where else to post it!

Thanks for being encouraging and supportive!! Big love from the mushroom kingdom!

#3278 WEATHERD

WEATHERD

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 06:10 AM

Any recommendations on which way to go with my fruiting chamber

#3279 WEATHERD

WEATHERD

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 06:16 AM

Just like to say how much help this site has been to me, proves all is not lost in this world,

#3280 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 6,894 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 August 2019 - 09:15 AM

Welcome WETHERD. Glad you've joined us. 

Maybe start a new thread in the Magic Forum and post-up some pics with your questions. 

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!