4314 replies to this topic

#4261 dpxsage420

dpxsage420

Mycophiliac

• Myco Newb
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 October 2020 - 08:50 PM

Hello! 

I am fairly new to this website, mushroom growing, and mushrooms in general. I was been told about this website because of my interest of mushrooms and other entheogens along with plants for food. In my time here (which has been short), I've seen that there are many things here that can help me in my adventure of mushroom growing and various plant growing and I cannot wait to get started in it. I have not done my own grow yet due to funds but I have aided in a grow of some Lizard King mushrooms with a buddy of mine and he's been filling me in on some tips and tricks and other things to do with growing. I would like to take that information I've been given and use information from this website to help with future grows of my own. 

I hope to have a good time on here and I look forward to talking to all of you!

Cheers!

(Below is the LK grow I mentioned. This picture is from the beginning of the month but still a total beauty of what happened.)

Attached Thumbnails

• 20201004_151330.jpg

• Baphom3t and ElPirana like this

#4262 KeepCalm

KeepCalm

Mycophiliac

• Myco Newb
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 October 2020 - 10:08 AM

Ola' everyone! Venturing into growing mushrooms.  I am a personal cannabis farmer and this is my next step for growing our medicine, and tasty things to eat.  I am ready to get all the equipment but am a bit overwhelmed right now.  I was going to  get the Midwest Grow Kit "monster" set up but my son told me it would be better to part it all out.  I did a grow tent kit for my cannabis and now wish I had done the same as I have ended up replacing much of the components.  (Thinking I can use my 3x4 Covert tent for my mushroom grow when I upgrade to a larger 5x5 Gorilla tent for the herbs - but want to get started right away!)

Our son grew Amazon mushrooms in a small kit.  I had my first mystical experience this weekend and it was literally life affirming...well...you know if you have experienced it.  Words fail me.  

I want to grow Lion's Mane, reishi, turkey tail, and of course psilocybin for microdosing now.  It seems a bit daunting but I have done well on growing cannabis and grow it for our son's to keep seizures at bay, he has sustained after an IED injured him in Afghanistan (USMC)

We watched "Fantastic Fungi" movie (after my trip) and I am in awe.  I have always lived in the arid southwest where even grass struggles to grow. We are in the Land of Enchantment.  So I am not as lucky as my friend in up state New York who can pick Lion's Mane off of her trees.  I suppose if I knew what I was looking for peyote abounds here.  

This site is HUGE!  I am sure any question I have will have already been  answered.  But right off, is there any particular post that would list the absolute best of the best list of what to buy to get started?  I hate having to replace components as I learn and go.

I am a 'young' grandmother (55) of two very young boys.  Happily married for 36 years.  An endurance athlete (this month was to be my first 50 mile trail race but COVID ended all my 2020 competitions).  An empath as is my wonderful partner - we are pretty hippy dippy around here.  I prefer life with my three dogs, husband, and if we are lucky we get to see the boys some but they live nearly 500 miles away and with the pandemic things have changed. (Social distancing was made for an introvert like me - although I don't come across that way online)  I am blissfully free of nursing after years of a hellish job as an RN in wound care then running a dialysis clinic, that job very nearly killed my spirit.  We are very focused on natural health and well being.  We are veganish and moving to 100% vegan now.  

• ElPirana likes this

#4263 ElPirana

ElPirana

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 627 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 October 2020 - 07:24 PM

Hello! 

I am fairly new to this website, mushroom growing, and mushrooms in general. I was been told about this website because of my interest of mushrooms and other entheogens along with plants for food. In my time here (which has been short), I've seen that there are many things here that can help me in my adventure of mushroom growing and various plant growing and I cannot wait to get started in it. I have not done my own grow yet due to funds but I have aided in a grow of some Lizard King mushrooms with a buddy of mine and he's been filling me in on some tips and tricks and other things to do with growing. I would like to take that information I've been given and use information from this website to help with future grows of my own. 

I hope to have a good time on here and I look forward to talking to all of you!

Cheers!

(Below is the LK grow I mentioned. This picture is from the beginning of the month but still a total beauty of what happened.)

Hello dpxsage420!  It's cool that you've already had some exposure to a successful grow, makes it a lot easier to learn that way I imagine.  Those Lizard King boomers look pretty good!

• Baphom3t and dpxsage420 like this

#4264 ElPirana

ElPirana

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 627 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 October 2020 - 07:30 PM

Ola' everyone! Venturing into growing mushrooms.  I am a personal cannabis farmer and this is my next step for growing our medicine, and tasty things to eat.  I am ready to get all the equipment but am a bit overwhelmed right now.  I was going to  get the Midwest Grow Kit "monster" set up but my son told me it would be better to part it all out.  I did a grow tent kit for my cannabis and now wish I had done the same as I have ended up replacing much of the components.  (Thinking I can use my 3x4 Covert tent for my mushroom grow when I upgrade to a larger 5x5 Gorilla tent for the herbs - but want to get started right away!)

Our son grew Amazon mushrooms in a small kit.  I had my first mystical experience this weekend and it was literally life affirming...well...you know if you have experienced it.  Words fail me.  

I want to grow Lion's Mane, reishi, turkey tail, and of course psilocybin for microdosing now.  It seems a bit daunting but I have done well on growing cannabis and grow it for our son's to keep seizures at bay, he has sustained after an IED injured him in Afghanistan (USMC)

We watched "Fantastic Fungi" movie (after my trip) and I am in awe.  I have always lived in the arid southwest where even grass struggles to grow. We are in the Land of Enchantment.  So I am not as lucky as my friend in up state New York who can pick Lion's Mane off of her trees.  I suppose if I knew what I was looking for peyote abounds here.  

This site is HUGE!  I am sure any question I have will have already been  answered.  But right off, is there any particular post that would list the absolute best of the best list of what to buy to get started?  I hate having to replace components as I learn and go.

I am a 'young' grandmother (55) of two very young boys.  Happily married for 36 years.  An endurance athlete (this month was to be my first 50 mile trail race but COVID ended all my 2020 competitions).  An empath as is my wonderful partner - we are pretty hippy dippy around here.  I prefer life with my three dogs, husband, and if we are lucky we get to see the boys some but they live nearly 500 miles away and with the pandemic things have changed. (Social distancing was made for an introvert like me - although I don't come across that way online)  I am blissfully free of nursing after years of a hellish job as an RN in wound care then running a dialysis clinic, that job very nearly killed my spirit.  We are very focused on natural health and well being.  We are veganish and moving to 100% vegan now.  

Welcome to mycotopia KeepCalm!  Sounds like your on a good track to start your grows.  And I do recommend just buying your supplies rather than a grow kit, you'll find that for the most part you can reuse your supplies over and over (like jars, lids, tubs, etc.)  Buying grains and substrate material is fairly cheap.  Even though it does seem daunting at first, just take it one step at a time and before you know it you'll have your own mushrooms popping up.  Each time you work through the process, you'll gain a better understanding of the mushroom life cycle and their requirements.  It's a learning process for sure, but very rewarding.  Also, once you get started, you can start a grow log here and other members can answer whatever questions pop up.

• bezevo and KeepCalm like this

#4265 MikeCelium

MikeCelium

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 39 posts

Posted 22 October 2020 - 03:28 PM

Hi peeps.....used to be a member years ago. Just logged back in. Anyway, I’m back growing some mushrooms again and just wanted to say hi. Any uk growers on here?
  • Mycol likes this

#4266 bezevo

bezevo

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 918 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 October 2020 - 05:33 PM

KEEP CALM ! WELCOM ! KeepCalm .............WELCOME dpxsage420  you two only need two more  posts to be   full free member with more privlages , WELCOME

AND  you WELCOME BACK ! MikeCelium !

Edited by bezevo, 22 October 2020 - 05:36 PM.

• coorsmikey, Baphom3t, MikeCelium and 1 other like this

#4267 Canabian

Canabian

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 October 2020 - 09:28 PM

Hello new friends.

I have traveled pretty far to get here, through the valleys of depression and scaling countless mountains of anxiety. All along the way I have tried, but failed, to reach any true happiness. So I look to you, fellow shroomers, to help me light the way. 

I have taken on your lovely PFTek challenge, i have found that it is a lovely way to calm my mind during our current climate of hate and pain circling us all. I have no illusions of instant success, but I do have the patience that, from everything I have read here, seems to be the main ingredient in achieving schoomccess. 

So, I am humbled to join this tribe and I look forward to the knowledge we all can share. 

-peace

BcGf1fkCIAEJClD.jpg

• Mycol likes this

#4268 LadyCokies

LadyCokies

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 October 2020 - 02:32 PM

Hello everyone ^^
I am new to the forum and cultivation in general. I've seen a lot of interesting information around here, maybe something collapsing haha
I hope to learn a lot here and be able to travel without leaving home  :D

• coorsmikey and bezevo like this

#4269 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 7,385 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 October 2020 - 03:48 PM

Welcome. You've found a community whose members travel without leaving the house.

Glad you've found us!

Edited by Myc, 26 October 2020 - 03:49 PM.

• LadyCokies likes this

#4270 Mrtrippy777

Mrtrippy777

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 41 posts

Posted 27 October 2020 - 09:14 PM

Why don't I have a my gallery option to upload pictures? Screenshot_20201027-211304_Chrome.jpg

#4271 ElPirana

ElPirana

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 627 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 October 2020 - 09:26 PM

Why don't I have a my gallery option to upload pictures?

Maybe try creating it from your profile page first?

1FD7C87F-FAC3-48BB-829C-DB8BAEF308FF.jpeg

#4272 Mrtrippy777

Mrtrippy777

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 41 posts

Posted 27 October 2020 - 09:33 PM

No upload option or am I missing something

Attached Thumbnails

• Screenshot_20201027-213217_Chrome.jpg

#4273 ElPirana

ElPirana

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 627 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 October 2020 - 11:18 PM

No upload option or am I missing something

Try going here:

https://mycotopia.ne...er-collections/

Then click “upload” on the right side of the screen. You will then be prompted on a new screw and I think that’s where you can create your first new album.

Let me know if it works.

#4274 NightSky

NightSky

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 5 posts

Posted 31 October 2020 - 05:32 PM

My second post:

I've been teaching a small number of beginners how to grow and here are some things I tell them. Do you agree or *scorn* these ideas -- I'd love to hear your thoughts.

- Stay calm, don't fiddle with recipes too much. Most methods worked for someone, so choose one to start and follow it as best you can.

- Mistakes give truly valuable insights for your next attempt. Study what went wrong, ask questions, and do one thing differently next time.

- Don't look for the One True Answer on the internet. There is simply too much opinion out there. Just start and learn as you go. You'll see experts disagree dramatically, and it doesn't help you at first. Real life example "Popcorn is the worst possible medium to spawn into, all mine were disasters" vs "Popcorn is by far the best and most forgiving medium, I have used it literally hundreds of times." So, what do you do? This clash of titans happens online about everything such as fresh air exchange, size of holes, dunking, misting, casing, gypsum, use of microwaves etc etc etc. Take a breath and...

- Do small experiments. Find out for yourself what works in your circumstance. Examples, try both a small monotub and small double tub; try popcorn and rye grain.

- There are so many variables, no one can predict your specific outcomes. Your circumstance is unique, so only you can discover what works. You get grains from a different supplier than other people. They might sterilize substrate for 1/2 hour longer. Mold spores floating around will be different for you than anyone else. There are a hundred other factors at play.

- Over time build up your knowledge of "sterile technique" and how contaminations can, and will, occur

- Understand the life cycle of mycelium. How it grows from spores to hyphae, how it expands into a nutritious substrate, why it realizes it's running out of food and therefore must fruit. This will help you know when to fiddle with your jars or bulk bin, and when to leave it alone and let nature take its course.

• coorsmikey and ElPirana like this

#4275 ElPirana

ElPirana

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 627 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 October 2020 - 06:08 PM

My second post:
I've been teaching a small number of beginners how to grow and here are some things I tell them. Do you agree or *scorn* these ideas -- I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Good suggestions. As you grow, and if you pay attention, you will find what works for you.

And you’re right, each person’s unique circumstances can alter how the grows turn out. This has been true for me.
  • OldFart1971 likes this

#4276 kneesocks

kneesocks

Mycophiliac

• Myco Newb
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 November 2020 - 12:31 AM

Hello, I'm not very good at introductions but I registered since I saw a lot of good information about growing Ps. cyanescens. I have been an amateur mycologist since 2011 and have experience with various entheogens and plant medicines, myco cultivation, identifying local actives, and in furthering harm reduction. 

Anyways I look forward to learning with everyone!

• ElPirana likes this

#4277 McQuade

McQuade

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 November 2020 - 08:01 AM

Hello guys, new member here just lurking a bit, got pretty good experience in myco :) And been using it for like 15 years or so. But just got in to growing my self and might need others experience in that regard.

• ElPirana likes this

#4278 ElPirana

ElPirana

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 627 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 November 2020 - 01:55 PM

Hello, I'm not very good at introductions but I registered since I saw a lot of good information about growing Ps. cyanescens. I have been an amateur mycologist since 2011 and have experience with various entheogens and plant medicines, myco cultivation, identifying local actives, and in furthering harm reduction. 
Anyways I look forward to learning with everyone!

Good to have you on board kneesocks. There are some good community grow threads of different exotics that are really useful and pretty fun to read through.

Hello guys, new member here just lurking a bit, got pretty good experience in myco :) And been using it for like 15 years or so. But just got in to growing my self and might need others experience in that regard.

Welcome to mycotopia McQuade. There are definitely some very experienced growers here who can help you out and provide guidance. Glad to hear you’re starting to grow, there’s something special about cultivating your own mushrooms. They are teachers in more ways than you might imagine!

#4279 yonicrisis

yonicrisis

Mycophiliac

• Myco Newb
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 November 2020 - 02:36 PM

Hi, I'm Jonathan or Yoni for short
I'm new to the wonderful world of mushrooms, and also new to the site.
I received my first spore syringe a week ago, and these are my first liquid cultures :D

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_6628.jpeg

• ElPirana likes this

#4280 PsychoactiveScientist

PsychoactiveScientist

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 November 2020 - 06:27 PM

Hi all. I'm new to this community. I've been focused mainly on growing exotic species, Psilocybe semperviva (hoogshagenii var. convexa/subtropicalis) being one of my recent favorites. I'm excited to learn from everyone here and share my own findings as well.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_4563.jpg

• coorsmikey, Skywatcher, ElPirana and 1 other like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!