• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 GrizzlySprinter

GrizzlySprinter

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 9 posts

Posted 31 May 2019 - 11:57 AM

Since many people advise against dehydrators I saw a interesting post about speeding up dehydration by cutting the whole fruit in half lengthway exposing the interior to air. Has anyone tried this before and did you notice ill or adverse affects to quality of fruit?

#2 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 6,719 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 May 2019 - 01:27 PM

You're a Free Member now. 

I'll move this over to Magic for more views and commentary.

#3 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

Distinguished Mad Scientist

• OG VIP
  • 3,976 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 May 2019 - 02:30 PM

Cutting fresh fruits will also cut open the cells along the cut line, exposing the Psilocybin to air, ie: oxygen - which is why it turns blue so you will lose some actives there.  The The cellulose of the mushroom protects the actives.

Dehydration using a dehydrator with temp control has always worked very well for me without the loss of much (if any) actives as while they are temperature sensitive, their breakdown temps are dependent on the oxygen available, which becomes greater if you break/slice the fruit, however the melting point of Psilocybin is 428 F.  So if you use a dehydrator and keep the temp at 125 F or under I would not worry about it.

Otherwise you could use a vacuum freeze dryer, however the expense of that could be offset by simply growing MORE!  :tongue:

#4 MsBehavin420

MsBehavin420

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 921 posts

Posted 31 May 2019 - 02:51 PM

I lost my giant last batch to mold. Tried air drying but the humidity got em. Sad face. At least I got prints.

#5 MsBehavin420

MsBehavin420

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 921 posts

Posted 31 May 2019 - 02:53 PM

I'm told you can use an oven on low with a wooden spoon in the door to let out moisture. I would with an electric stove but not so much the gas range.

#6 GrizzlySprinter

GrizzlySprinter

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 9 posts

Posted 31 May 2019 - 04:58 PM

I'm told you can use an oven on low with a wooden spoon in the door to let out moisture. I would with an electric stove but not so much the gas range.

Snds like a good idea maybe point a small fan for air circulation or internal fan if you have that kind of stove.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
  • MsBehavin420 likes this

#7 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,472 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 May 2019 - 05:48 PM

I used most every method to dry heard of, oven is the worst. Its the method I've tried with noticeable loss of potency.

Dehydrator is best. Second best is pre drying open air with a fan, then finishing in a dessicant chamber with something like Damp Rid.

On pre drying, that takes a big fan moving a lot of air. Unless you live in a desert.
  • mushit, firerat, Heirloom and 4 others like this

#8 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,473 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 May 2019 - 09:47 PM

Check craigslist, and the flea markets.  Used dehydrators can often be found fairly cheap.

• SteampunkScientist likes this

#9 rockybia

rockybia

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 26 posts

Posted 01 June 2019 - 10:15 AM

I put them on a plate or tray, wrapped/enclosed with a single layer of paper towel, with a fan blowing directly on that. The paper towel keeps things contained, lets air through, and lets moisture out. I imagine you could use anything similar. Its worked really well for me.

#10 Moonless

Moonless

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 158 posts

Posted 01 June 2019 - 11:02 AM

With no air conditioning in my room, and a hot sunny east facing window I let mine sit out to bask in the sun. Although this method wont work for those whom live in a humid climate, it works wonders for me but it takes about two days to get a fully dry batch.

In terms of going forward with this hobby I plan to do as Juthro says and look for a dehydrator on the cheap at a a second hand store.

In terms of new methods I want to try is to put the oven on low, but have a fan blowing inside of it.

#11 mattyfresh

mattyfresh

Mycophiliac

• OG VIP
  • 300 posts

Donator

Posted 01 June 2019 - 11:43 AM

might be costly but if you can find a second hand dehumidifier or just buy a new one you can place your fruits in front of the exhaust which will dry them cracker dry in about a day.

#12 peacefrog

peacefrog

Peaceful Frog

• 2,268 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 June 2019 - 05:19 AM

Like JK said, either of those ways will work.

I have used both dehydrators (easiest method) and the fan dry to desiccant chamber and both work just as well.

Some people on the OMC will tell you fan drying is the worst you can do and will aid in loss of potency and can give you mold issues on your fruit. But in all the years of growing, I have never had a batch get moldy on me by drying that way. And I have personally tested potency differences between the methods and I have never seen a difference.

#13 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

Distinguished Mad Scientist

• OG VIP
  • 3,976 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 June 2019 - 07:06 AM

A dehydrator can be made on the super cheap - go to your local dollar store and pick up 4 or 5 sand sifters for kids to play with at the beach, and then get a cheap fan. 

These are stacked just like in a commercial dehydrator with the fan at the bottom or top blowing through the sifters.  You could even add a small space heater (like those mini ceramic room heaters.

Alternatively you could cut out large (foot and a half diameter or so) circles from some stiff cardboard, cut out the centers so you have a 2 inch wide circular "ring" of cardboard, then tape on some window screen.  Find an old Edison light bulb for heat.

Promotional-sand-sifter-10-blue-green.jpg

Edited by SteampunkScientist, 03 June 2019 - 07:09 AM.

• firerat, Heirloom , GrizzlySprinter and 2 others like this

#14 firerat

firerat

Why am I so thirsty....

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,031 posts

Donator

Posted 03 June 2019 - 10:47 AM

A dehydrator can be made on the super cheap - go to your local dollar store and pick up 4 or 5 sand sifters for kids to play with at the beach, and then get a cheap fan. 

These are stacked just like in a commercial dehydrator with the fan at the bottom or top blowing through the sifters.  You could even add a small space heater (like those mini ceramic room heaters.

Alternatively you could cut out large (foot and a half diameter or so) circles from some stiff cardboard, cut out the centers so you have a 2 inch wide circular "ring" of cardboard, then tape on some window screen.  Find an old Edison light bulb for heat.

^^This.

I made something similar using a bunch of extra wire mesh filing thingy's I got from work and an old desk fan. The sectioned file sorter thing was similar, but a bit smaller, than this.

s-l300.jpg

I laid it on it's side and sat that on top of a small fan inside a box and just let it blow air through for a few days. 

I don't use heat, just moving air until they are almost done, then into a desiccant chamber to finish. My desiccant chamber was a plastic shoe box with a mesh pencil holder filled with desiccant. 

Edited by firerat, 03 June 2019 - 02:01 PM.

• roc, Heirloom and SteampunkScientist like this

#15 elunicotomas

elunicotomas

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 23 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 09:15 AM

I used most every method to dry heard of, oven is the worst. Its the method I've tried with noticeable loss of potency.

Dehydrator is best. Second best is pre drying open air with a fan, then finishing in a dessicant chamber with something like Damp Rid.

On pre drying, that takes a big fan moving a lot of air. Unless you live in a desert.

And what if i don't pre-dry? we've just collected our first shrooms w/ a friend and since the fan we have is too large (blows too strong) we place them directly in shoe boxes with lots of silica gel balls in the bottom and they seem to be drying fine, at least no signs of anything bad we could notice...

#16 roc

roc

Forum International Moderator

• 7,928 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 June 2019 - 10:22 AM

And what if i don't pre-dry? we've just collected our first shrooms w/ a friend and since the fan we have is too large (blows too strong) we place them directly in shoe boxes with lots of silica gel balls in the bottom and they seem to be drying fine, at least no signs of anything bad we could notice...

That works as well with the downside being the amount of desiccant needed and associated expense.

If you invest in rechargeable desiccant that can be dried and reused your process is fine. One can also simply place them loosely in a brown paper bag you'll be amazed how a big percentage of moisture leaves. Your procedure then would take on a lot of moisture.

• firerat likes this

#17 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,472 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 June 2019 - 02:23 PM

There no such as a fan that blows to hard. Put them in a mesh bag, or some other means to contain them, to keep from blowing them around them room. Or put them behind or under the fan. The pull is more manageable than the push.

You need a real dessicant like Damp Rid. The silica gel will manage dry mushrooms, but no good for drying mushrooms.

Time is the problem, longer it takes to dry them, the more active you lose. The pre dry with a fan really speeds it up.
  • firerat likes this

#18 bezevo

bezevo

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 671 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 June 2019 - 02:51 PM

I am not sure if it was mentioned but if it was , i will add a bit more info ..

UNSCENTED SILICA KITTY LITTER  CRYSTALS OR BEADS ..  i like the beads less dust  .they make a fine desiccant

You can buy them on line of course, at some dollar stores  , Wal-mart ect .  as JK  said pre-dry with a fan then to finish put in a   in a tightly sealed  container like Tupperware.with your descant

Put your kitty litter silica in a bag or bags .in drying container,. i use dollar store panty hose cut in 10" OR 12"  sections Each end tied shut with twine . or you can even put the beads in your container loose with a screen above them for your mushrooms to finish drying tell cracker dry ..seal in bags squeeze air out put in jar toss in cool dark place uumm like a freezer ha .

NOTE !occasionally you can take your silica kitty litter silica and spread on a cookie sheet and dry in oven on low / warm then bag in or seal in air tight containers as soon as cool enough so they stay dry for next use ..

NOW DON'T GET CONFUSED HA HA  ON A Side Note ....you can use the silica beads in just the opposite way to Humidify your CIGAR Humidor 

or what ever umm you like to smoke .   .

just spritz  bags of silica  beads  occasionally with distilled water and keep your humidor right at  . 62% to 65 % RH . TA ! Da!

Edited by bezevo, 04 June 2019 - 07:10 PM.

• Juthro likes this

#19 firerat

firerat

Why am I so thirsty....

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,031 posts

Donator

Posted 04 June 2019 - 03:14 PM

NOW DON'T GET CONFUSED HA HA  ON A Side Note ....you can use the silica beads in just the opposite way to Humidify your CIGAR Humidor 

or what ever umm you like to smoke .   .

just spritz  bags of silica  beads  occasionally with distilled water and keep your humidor right at  . 62% to 65 % RH . TA ! Da!

I have a tupperdor with kitty liter keeping my sticks fresh.

• crazy1 and bezevo like this

#20 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 6,719 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 June 2019 - 03:16 PM

Air dry. Then storage in a sealed container along with a gun safe dehumidifier (which can be used over and over again). I have used the de-humidifier featured in the link now for several years. It's a reliable performer every time. 

• crazy1 likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!