• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Thirdeyeplants

Thirdeyeplants

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 26 posts

Posted 31 May 2019 - 04:32 PM

I am starting my first grow in the attempt to be able to provide my own medicine. Heavily researched the PF tek and religiously studied the guide available here in PDF form and intend to follow it to a T. In my (possibly misguided) research I have chosen and purchased a few strains in syringe form. B+, PF (original), PES Amazonian, Puerto Rican, and penis envy. My intent is to start with 10-12 jars and hopefully have enough spore water to attempt 2 grows. I am going to do my best to resist my natural urge to obsess and over think the whole process so i would like to keep it as simple as possible but ANY guidance is very welcome. I am definitely shooting for quality over quantity and the ability to have regular access to the only medicine that has helped...

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using Tapatalk
  • crazy1, coorsmikey, wharfrat and 2 others like this

#2 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,257 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 May 2019 - 05:57 PM

You're making the right move already, just stating that you're following a proven tek. Stick to that and you'll do fine.

First advice, absolutely do not attempt all those strains at once. Pick one, grow it till you have prints, move to the next.

It can be tricky getting the hang of using the syringe, but each syringe can do 12 cakes, but I'd count on 8.

All are good strains. Save the PR and especially the PE till you've completed a successful grow.
  • roc, crazy1, coorsmikey and 3 others like this

#3 Thirdeyeplants

Thirdeyeplants

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 26 posts

Posted 31 May 2019 - 07:57 PM

Thank you. That is EXACTLY the advice I waz looking for. Are any of these safe to mix up strains or is it a general rule of thumb to stick with one at a time? Are any of these strains particularly forgiving to first timers? Or particularly successful with the PF tek? You suggest that I can safely count on knocking up 8 cakes with one syringe. Are these half pint or whole pint? Sorry for all the questions, just excited...

#4 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,257 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 May 2019 - 08:18 PM

B+ and PESA, easier than the other two. PE doesn't fair well on cakes, and breaks a few rules, save it for later. Puerto Rican can be tricky to fruit well, but still may work on cakes. Cakes are half pint. Part of the success of pf tek is the small size of the cakes.

#5 Thirdeyeplants

Thirdeyeplants

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 26 posts

Posted 31 May 2019 - 09:13 PM

Thanks, still picking up on all the terminology. You recommend to hold on to the 2 more challenging strains. How do I go about storing them, and how long should they be good for. I'm just wondering if maybe they should find a more experienced home...

#6 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,257 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 May 2019 - 09:58 PM

You'll be fine. The PE Just does better in a bulk tub. Doesn't have to be big, just does better spawned to substrate and cased than in cakes. And takes a long time to fruit. Better after you've built some confidence and developed patience.

Spores syringes should be good plenty long enough. If you're concerned about freshness, stagger the grows by three weeks.
  • makinbones69 likes this

#7 crazy1

crazy1

Celestial Traveler

• VIP
  • 1,866 posts

Posted 02 June 2019 - 06:58 AM

Welcome!!!!

You've been given some great advice by jk, follow it! And the PF TEK will do you great, it's a long running and proven one.

As to storage for your other spore syringes, For a longer term storage, I recommend using something light proof, paper bag or some container they fit into, and storing them in your fridge or other very cool place. Under 40f, DO NOT FREEZE!! will put them in a state of "hibernation" for future use and no degrading of your spores. 

Just bring them to room temp for a couple days before you use them and you're good to go.

Best of luck to you

#8 Thirdeyeplants

Thirdeyeplants

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 26 posts

Posted 02 June 2019 - 07:12 AM

Thanks guys. I cant tell you how greatful I am to have found a community that geeks out about this stuff MORE than I do. I am still waiting on supplies, I am really looking forward to a shorter term reward from growing medicine. I have been cultivating cacti for a while, but damn does it take some patience! Not my strong suit...

#9 crazy1

crazy1

Celestial Traveler

• VIP
  • 1,866 posts

Posted 02 June 2019 - 07:24 AM

This will take some patience as well. No where near as much as cacti, but a little while.......

#10 Thirdeyeplants

Thirdeyeplants

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 26 posts

Posted 02 June 2019 - 07:30 AM

Just to be able to taste the fruits of my labor (all pun intended) in less than a few years will be quite refreshing...

One, I just found another post of yours about sectoring/isolating. Obviously I have zero hands on knowledge as of yet and fully expect to make some mistakes along the way, but is this something a newbie could undertake?

#11 crazy1

crazy1

Celestial Traveler

• VIP
  • 1,866 posts

Posted 02 June 2019 - 07:49 AM

Sectoring and isolating can be done by anyone. But does require a clean environment to be done in, such as a glovebox. If it's the post I'm thinking it is, then it involves agar. Which itself is another amazingly fun part of this hobby. But does require the learning and use of sterile practices. 

I know this is a very exciting hobby and you want to jump in with both feet. Get your grows going and learn what you can from them and the mushrooms. 

As you progress, you'll know when you're ready to move forward. Step by step and lesson by lesson you'll get to your goal.

#12 joeya

joeya

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 162 posts

Posted 02 June 2019 - 11:56 AM

I can only repeat what's already been said, so good luck. Follow the tek and it will produce for you. Don't obsess over your grow, meaning don't spend hours staring at jars colonizing with mycelium, moving them around, looking at every lest grain in them for trouble. Noc them, and don't expect any growth for several days. If you keep them at a good temperature, they will grow. If you steamed them as described, for as long as the tek says, and cleaned the top with alcohol and covered with verm, they will not contaminate. The PF tek is pretty much foolproof, the only people who get into trouble with it have tried to out-think it, or take a shortcut. Just do what it says, and don't anything that it doesn't say. You will be amazed how well it works out! 

• crazy1 likes this

#13 bezevo

bezevo

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 592 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 June 2019 - 10:53 PM

I MIGHT Suggest you check out this thread

see bellow link the first post has a link to download a free PDF book MAGIC FOR THE MASSES  if you follow this to the T no  changes no experiments you will do ok

...............then later you can try different tek ect  Expand

https://mycotopia.ne...for-the-masses/

Edited by bezevo, 04 June 2019 - 10:54 PM.

#14 Thirdeyeplants

Thirdeyeplants

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 26 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 11:27 PM

Thanks, I have already read the book cover to cover. My intent is to stick to the instructions... However, if I have enough myc in jars I may rob a few to try the chronic neglect tek I saw in another post by jimboyia. Mostly for kicks and grins. I am actually really looking forward to being involved step by step... In this case the journey and the destination are important...

Edited by Thirdeyeplants, 04 June 2019 - 11:31 PM.

#15 LegoMyego

LegoMyego

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 111 posts

Posted 07 June 2019 - 01:56 PM

Definitely store any spore syringes in the fridge in a light proof bag until you're ready to use them. 

For the PE, you'll probably be best doing a bulk grow so save that for last until you have success with the PF TEK. Good luck!  

#16 Thirdeyeplants

Thirdeyeplants

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 26 posts

Posted 07 June 2019 - 07:23 PM

Its all here! I have 18 jars ready to go. I am thinking 9 of PF and 9 of B+ For my first go. And as for inoculation I intend to use the oven method...

#17 Thirdeyeplants

Thirdeyeplants

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 26 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 11:30 AM

In the moment I wasnt comfortable with the oven tek(discretion and cleanliness) I went with a glove box. Knocked up 9 cakes with B+, and 9 more with PF. Only because ive seen many first timers have luck with B+ and I felt it were only right to do the PF with its namesake. I sprayed 1:10 bleach/water let it settle, removed each foil 1-1.5 mL each replace the foil loosely and placed in incubator. Flamed and 91% iso wiped the needle between each jar. I broke everything down cleaned up and re-sterilized my GB between strains (mostly because I could only get nine jars in my GB). I have all 18 in a clear tote with a blue clear lid at 80F.

Did I miss anything? Was that overkill? Now I just wait, right?

#18 joeya

joeya

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 162 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 01:57 PM

Feel free to post a few pictures of your jars. I'm a little curious about putting the foil back on going into the incubator. I've only put micropore tape over the holes. You are using ball jars with the two piece lids, right? 

#19 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,257 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 June 2019 - 02:18 PM

You don't need foil, microporing the holes is good. Better actually. I don't think a loose piece of foil hurts anything though. (Still need the micropore though)

#20 Thirdeyeplants

Thirdeyeplants

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 26 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 02:53 PM

Ball jars, 2 piece lids. I just cleaned the area and replaced the foil with micropore. Beginners mistake... I thought that seemed a little vulnerable with just foil...

• joeya likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!