• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#21 Thirdeyeplants

Thirdeyeplants

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 138 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 02:53 PM

Ball jars, 2 piece lids. I just cleaned the area and replaced the foil with micropore. Beginners mistake... I thought that seemed a little vulnerable with just foil...

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using Tapatalk

#22 Thirdeyeplants

Thirdeyeplants

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 138 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 02:53 PM

Ball jars, 2 piece lids. I just cleaned the area and replaced the foil with micropore. Beginners mistake... I thought that seemed a little vulnerable with just foil...

#23 joeya

joeya

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 415 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 03:20 PM

We got your back! Good luck, you're at the hardest part now---waiting!   I think most people start out the way you are, and most of us probably looked our jars over every single day, jumping at the first glimpse of anytrhing white in the jar. The best advice you can get for this phase is this; once you have your jars sitting where they are going to incubate, leave them alone. Don't even think about them for a week! Then, go ahead and look for anything that may be wrong. There won't be, if you followed the tek right, but you will have the need to look just for your own peace of mind! 

Honestly, you can look at them any time you want, it won't hurt them, but it won't help them either and will just have you wondering why it's taking so long. We all started that way, and all obsessed over them. 

Good luck!

#24 Thirdeyeplants

Thirdeyeplants

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 138 posts

Posted 15 June 2019 - 04:48 AM

Its only been a few days and I have been really good about checking temps twice a day and not over obsessing, should I be fanning them in the incubation stage. My incubator is just a plastic tub with a few small holes. How much FAE do they need at this stage. Or should I keep them locked in to avoid any contams that may be present in a damp basement...

#25 Thacan

Thacan

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 84 posts

Posted 15 June 2019 - 09:22 AM

I am right behind you; inoculated yesterday. My first batch as well.

#26 crazy1

crazy1

Celestial Traveler

• VIP
  • 2,002 posts

Posted 16 June 2019 - 07:11 AM

There is no real need to fan or give FAE to them until they are in the fruiting chamber. 

Good vibes to both of you

#27 Thirdeyeplants

Thirdeyeplants

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 138 posts

Posted 16 June 2019 - 05:54 PM

Thank you...will update in a few weeks when anything happens...

#28 Thirdeyeplants

Thirdeyeplants

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 138 posts

Posted 18 June 2019 - 01:48 AM

So I checked my jars last night, just me obbsessing over the temp. And something caught my eye. It looked like I saw a fuzzy. I thought there is no way, its just in your head. There is no way they are growing after 5 days. Then I checked again in the morning and sure enough I had a little white fuzz in the same locations I had injected. I did not want to disrupt the jars or shake them around so i dont know about the jars I cannot see, but I am seeing growth in the majority of both of my sets of 9 jars. Is this possible or is this something to be concerned about? Still havent figured out the security aspect of sharing pictures. Not to mention the growth is so faint I probably couldnt get it on film...

#29 Misfit

Misfit

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 435 posts

Posted 18 June 2019 - 06:49 AM

I don’t think 5 days is too early. My Hawaiians were moving like wildfire at 5 days. I think it all depends on what kind they are.

#30 Thirdeyeplants

Thirdeyeplants

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 138 posts

Posted 18 June 2019 - 07:16 AM

B+ and PF original. The b+ seems to be doing a little better, but they are both spreading rapidly...

• Misfit likes this

#31 Misfit

Misfit

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 435 posts

Posted 18 June 2019 - 07:22 AM

I inoculated Hawaiian and Acadian coast on the same day into cakes from the same batch. By the time the Acadian coast started showing signs the Hawaiians looked like they were a week ahead. In reality they were only 2 or 3 days ahead. Some are just known to move faster.
If you see growth there is growth. If you’re worrying about it being something other than mycelium, give it a day or two and you’ll be sure. If you followed the TEK step by step and were clean about it you should be safe. There are a bunch of posts on how to ID bad growth. And if you’re really in doubt the experienced members can usually help with pictures.

#32 Thirdeyeplants

Thirdeyeplants

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 138 posts

Posted 18 June 2019 - 07:26 AM

I was unsure last night, until I checked this morning and I saw rhizomorphic "ropes" in quite a few places. Feeling really good right now...

• Misfit likes this

#33 Misfit

Misfit

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 435 posts

Posted 18 June 2019 - 07:33 AM

Congrats. Having just got into the hobby I totally get it. Try not to second guess things too hard. If you did things the way they were laid out everything should work out

#34 LegoMyego

LegoMyego

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 143 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 07:53 PM

When they get around 20-30% colonized give them a gentle shake to mix it all up.  This will help it colonize fully faster. 

#35 Thirdeyeplants

Thirdeyeplants

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 138 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 09:51 PM

Thank you for the timely advice, I think they will all be in the 20-30% eange in the next few days. I love your handle by the way...

• LegoMyego likes this

#36 Thirdeyeplants

Thirdeyeplants

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 138 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 09:53 PM

Quick question. I am using what will become my FC as my incubator. What shall I do if some are ready to be birthed while others may still need some time to colonize or settle?

#37 Misfit

Misfit

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 435 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 09:57 PM

What temp is your house? You probably don’t need it

#38 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,472 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 June 2019 - 10:01 PM

For cakes, don't do that shake thing, they aren't likely to shake anyway. He must have thought you had grain spawn.

Let them all run as long as you can. You want to see pinning in jars. They should reach that point pretty close together. The more mass you can get in the fruiting chamber at once, the better. Post again when reach that point and we'll worry about any stubborn ones then.
  • crazy1 likes this

#39 Thirdeyeplants

Thirdeyeplants

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 138 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 10:08 PM

So, at this point a pin in the jar is the sign to birth? Any issue if a pin stays in the jar for a day or two while the others catch up?

The room I have at my disposal fluctuates between low 60s up to low 70s, RH stats pretty constant at 65ish...

#40 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,472 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 June 2019 - 10:21 PM

They can go for days in the jar.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!