9 replies to this topic

#1 Roybert

Roybert

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 4 posts

Posted 31 May 2019 - 05:39 PM

Hi there

I have found a very small patch of S. Aeruginosa - I would like encourage it to grow and spread.  What is the best way to propagate the most growth in the least amount of time?  I've experimented with adding wood chips to the patch, and they are slowly being colonised, but it would take years at this rate to see any real growth.  

Should I be considering taking a sample of mycelium and cloning to agar, then grain?

thanks for any advice.

• Heirloom and wharfrat like this

#2 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 6,392 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 May 2019 - 10:02 PM

Hi there

I have found a very small patch of S. Aeruginosa - I would like encourage it to grow and spread.  What is the best way to propagate the most growth in the least amount of time?  I've experimented with adding wood chips to the patch, and they are slowly being colonised, but it would take years at this rate to see any real growth.  

Should I be considering taking a sample of mycelium and cloning to agar, then grain?

thanks for any advice.

unfortunately wood lovers are naturally slow colonizers, and hard dense wood just makes it that more tough. with an outdoor patch you can try some broken down mulch, dead leaves and even cardboard to help speed it along, just give it a lil nudge and it should spread nicely. Yes, you can take a sample, put on agar and transfer out some clean mycelium, and do some indoor colonization. Check out the wood lovers threads in the archives.. you will find a wealth of information.

• Roybert likes this

#3 Roybert

Roybert

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 June 2019 - 12:06 AM

Thanks for the response.  I meant to say P Subaeruginosa.  It's a small patch that colonised a sisal mat that was being used as weed suppressant.  The mat pretty much got used up by the time I found it, but the residual mycelium is jumping off to any wood chips, twigs, etc I put underneath.  Very vigorous in fact.  I would like to see it spread to have a good harvest next year...however past experience has shown that being too aggressive in trying to spread the mycelium too thin can kill it.  So, if grain will give it a jump start then I may try that.  

Alternatively PF cakes?

• wharfrat likes this

#4 Heirloom

Heirloom

Quantum Particle

• OG VIP
  • 4,631 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 June 2019 - 11:19 AM

welcome , nice to meet a fellow woodlover.

i used to grow woodlovers. i filled a large pot with water and wood chips brought to boil turned off heat let sit overnight drained water off checked to make sure cool and added that to my beds covered with cardboard. my beds were 4 inches deep maybe 6 . i would imagine you will have some next year . i would not add grain. if you want to make another bed colonizedcardboard and wood chips wil do it easy. i watered my beds to keep chips moist. beds last years many harvests.
good luck

Edited by Heirloom , 01 June 2019 - 11:20 AM.

• wharfrat and makinbones69 like this

#5 Seeker2be

Seeker2be

Seeking Lost Horizons

• OG VIP
  • 1,348 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 June 2019 - 12:48 PM

Consider making a  large flower pot grow or tote which allows you to monitor the situation (moisture), keep out slugs and other varmints from digging it up.  Later it can be used to inoculate more  outside beds or more containers.

#6 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 6,392 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 June 2019 - 01:48 PM

good advice ^   as far as the grains go.. animals eat grains, so if you put them in your bed, you stand the chance of them being torn up by critters. If you can keep the pests away, it will work great. 

#7 Roybert

Roybert

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 June 2019 - 01:56 PM

Great advice, thanks everyone.  I might try starting a separate colony inside a container in addition to feeding the existing outdoor patch.

#8 Heirloom

Heirloom

Quantum Particle

• OG VIP
  • 4,631 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 June 2019 - 04:15 PM

excellent, the tubs are a good idea you can move them if needed put in shed or garage, seen many flower pots that yielded nice.

an old thread started 9 years agoi, still active. lots of knowledge here  "communal woodlovers grow log over 180 pages. many grows lots of pics. 

https://mycotopia.ne...grow-log/page-1

Edited by Heirloom , 02 June 2019 - 04:19 PM.

#9 roc

roc

Forum International Moderator

• 7,928 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 June 2019 - 04:40 PM

Thanks for the response.  I meant to say P Subaeruginosa.  It's a small patch that colonised a sisal mat that was being used as weed suppressant.  The mat pretty much got used up by the time I found it, but the residual mycelium is jumping off to any wood chips, twigs, etc I put underneath.  Very vigorous in fact.  I would like to see it spread to have a good harvest next year...however past experience has shown that being too aggressive in trying to spread the mycelium too thin can kill it.  So, if grain will give it a jump start then I may try that.  

Alternatively PF cakes?

If you don't have a Pressure Cooker then go with the PF style cakes.
I prefer the grain which colonizes much faster than the cakes.

#10 Heirloom

Heirloom

Quantum Particle

• OG VIP
  • 4,631 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 June 2019 - 05:54 PM

that mycelium will also jump right onto straw then to woodchips. many of us layered straw into our beds as well as using straw as a cover with or with out damp cardboard. do let us know how things progress

namaste

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!