• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 DrepsiLocybe

DrepsiLocybe

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 28 posts

Posted 02 June 2019 - 02:22 AM

Hello mycotopia. I have been playing around with reishis and made this extract from culture (MAE Agar dish) to double extract.

Started this when i was trying different types of grains and used popcorn for this batch (now i use only rye berries for all my spawns).

Spawn was later put on substrate (yesterday news, barn)

After few weeks few little antlers popped uo and they started to grow like candycorn.

Fruited in a marthar and once harvested, chopped and dried. Then i separated the harvest in 2 parts. One part was placed in a mason jar and stored away. The other part was put in a jar but submerge in everclear and put away for 6 months.

After the 6 months (i know you dont need to wait that long i just wanted to try and see what happened) i filtered the everclear solution that now looks very orange/red and put it aside.

Grabbed the second mason jar with the dried fruits, put them in a pot with boiling water (the amount of water would depend on how much everclear you collected from the first jar, keeping in mind that this is a 2 part extraction and wanted to get it close to a 1:1 ratio) for 45 mins, filtered the fruits, collected the reishi teas and mixed it with the everclear. Left it in the table for few minutes and when i came back i was surprised by the color of the tincture because it looked very similar to the color of the fruits.

The solution was then collected and put in cobalt blue vials for avoid contact with light.

I dosed 1 tablespoon a day in the morning and gave me energy to go thru my day without feeling drained. Also i noticed my digestive system started to work faster/better (comparing how easy it became to process certain kinds of foods while dosing vs no sosing days trying the same food from same exact source).

This tincture was shared with my mother who suffers from arthritis and she reported that between a combo of CBD capsules 50mg and 1 teaspoon of the tincture took care of her pain by mainly reducing the inflamation in affected areas.
She started dosing daily 1 spoon every morning and noticed a big change in her ability to remember things better, feelings more lucid, etc.

Girlfriend also started dosing with me and notice relief in her arthritis affected area (right hand fingers).

So far we have not seen any side effects. We ran out of the tincture about 2 weeks ago so we only dosed for 30 days.

We just put our new reishi blocks into fruiting conditions and hope to have a nice harvest to make this tincture again.

Any tips or advice are higly welcome. Also any experiences on dosing with a similar double extraction?
Thanks

4a91b1b51e615f5b734ad93a55bb1b90.jpg
Culture acquired by CabinCreation
86a62295c3fd4100631e9286e9527f0a.jpg
Reishi spreading on popcorn08985a1d7e429b62dfe06670b83853b7.jpg
First antlres5f79b2d1a7d26386d51e610b8086d9b7.jpg
Reishi in Martha tent3e45d7785c44bf5754e189819e8cd0f4.jpg
Fanning outc63d0e280c296f0300cb972d9d25e8f4.jpg
Harvested fruitsa6b2351f72d83532718661c7d994c9ec.jpg
2xextract reishi
  • Skywatcher, Needles, wharfrat and 3 others like this

#2 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Twilight Walker

• 6,950 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 June 2019 - 08:46 AM

That's some fine looking Reishi Dre.

I have used the Reishi tea off and on for several years now. I've never tried an alcohol extraction, only made a tea by simmering ground fruits for an hour, and repeating this three times to get as much as possible from the mushrooms. I found that the tea will not go bad in the refrigerator.

I usually take a shot every day when I have it. It helps alot with inflammation, and boosting the entire immune system. I have not experienced, or heard of any ill effects. The vendor I bought it from at the street market has used it continuously for 20 years by his account...............

• wharfrat and DrepsiLocybe like this

#3 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 6,890 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 June 2019 - 10:07 AM

I lost track of when you were using the water extraction versus the alcohol extraction. 

I presume that they both behaved the same but would like confirmation or rejection of the idea. 

My guess is that since alcohol and water are both polar solvents. You likely gathered the same material in both extractions. (Just a note, I'm not a chemist.)

• wharfrat and DrepsiLocybe like this

#4 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 6,394 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 June 2019 - 02:14 PM

beautiful! sounds like you did it right.. alcohol then water extract.  I have never done a reishi tincture but the double method I have understood as the best way to extract all the different compounds in the reishi

• DrepsiLocybe likes this

#5 DrepsiLocybe

DrepsiLocybe

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 28 posts

Posted 02 June 2019 - 05:02 PM

I lost track of when you were using the water extraction versus the alcohol extraction.
I presume that they both behaved the same but would like confirmation or rejection of the idea.

My guess is that since alcohol and water are both polar solvents. You likely gathered the same material in both extractions. (Just a note, I'm not a chemist.)

Yeah i see how it can get people lost lol. I mainly did it that way beacuse i was reading "mycelium running" and paul mentions how the medicinal compunds need a double extraction (one compont gets extracted by sitting in alchohol and the other compound gets extracted by boiling it into a tea). Ive seen extractions where most people let them soak in alcohol and then boiled those same fruits and make tea that way but imo that seems like it weakens out the tincture since they have been sitting in alcohol for that long....
Ill try to make another extaction once my new batch of reishi is ready and also find a way to make a powdered extraction.. any tips/ideas??
  • Myc and wharfrat like this

#6 mushit

mushit

Shit Lover

• OG VIP
  • 2,164 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 June 2019 - 05:47 PM

Great job, Dre.

I usually do the double extraction.

75% alcohol by volume or better is best for extraction of some compounds.  I use 94%.

I let the chopped Reishi soak for a month or more, then strain and boil the fruit in water for about 3 hrs.

I use the same volume of water as alcohol to cut the alcohol percentage down to about half the starting ABV.

This use of high proof alcohol will allow you to keep on a room temp shelf for a long time.

• Needles, wharfrat and DrepsiLocybe like this

#7 Needles

Needles

Locked and Loaded

• OG VIP
  • 1,296 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 June 2019 - 08:08 AM

First off, nice work getting those fruits in your mini green house!!!
I've been working with and studying reishi for some years now. Making tinkture and using it daily is the main goal. I find that there is a notable health improvement when taking two tablespoons of tinkture. This stuff works incredibly well as a antihistamine for me.
100 proof alcohol is what is recommended to dissolve the hydrophobic polysaccharides and lipids. The same cells will contain polysaccharides and lipids that are hydrophilic and will dissolve in water but not the alcohol. I've read reports where water soluble polysaccharides were extracted at 200 deg+ C, way hotter than we can do in our kitchens. After a two month soak in 100 proof with a shake a day if possible I squeeze out as much liquid with a hand held press. Then the same volume of water is added to the reishi and PC @15 psi for two hours. Both solutions are mixed together and refrigerated.
  • mushit and DrepsiLocybe like this

#8 DrepsiLocybe

DrepsiLocybe

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 28 posts

Posted 16 June 2019 - 02:17 AM

This is my new batch after moving into a bigger home and having a dedicated roon to grow this guys.
so far this cake is pinning like crazy.
Im planning on cutting the bag open next week and put them in totes.... will post more updates as they grow and develop.

In the meantime ive been working on some turkey tail tincture that will be finally ready tomorrow.
Will post after im done making the tincture, also today i finally noticed my cordyceps pinning which was a struggle i had for a while. Adquired a LC from mycosymbiotics and his genetics produce pins. 462ad8002d5a0a9338f07b7d306beab0.jpg
  • Skywatcher likes this

#9 DrepsiLocybe

DrepsiLocybe

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 28 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 12:19 AM

Today june 16 my trametes versicolor tincture was ready to be mix with the second part of the double extraction so i figured it would come in handy since its very similar to the previous extraction. This time aiming for PSK and PSP.

The trametes was obtained in the wild over in the PNW. Dehydrated until cracker dry and ratio the fruits in half. One half will be grinded and soak on alchohol, let sit in darkness for 6 weeks.
The other half will be store in an air tight container waiting for the alcohol solution to be ready.
Once ready filter the alchohol and boil the dried fruits for 4 hours. Then filter all the fruit material.
Mix both solutions, shake well and let it sit with a coffee filter so the alcohol can slowly evaporate and wont taste as harsh.
Do one last filter run and bottle them up.

Friendly tip: i stopped using coffee bags, they create too much waste. I used a 37 Micron bag for rosin using a funnel and it works 100% smoother, filtration process was extremly easy, fast and the best thing is that you can rinse the bags with tap water, dry and reuse ;).

Also let me attach a picture of a text from paul stamets book. I hope this doesnt violates any copyrights... but it is a must have book for medicinal mycology.

Remember nature provides we just pass the knowledge. Do the same and share this medicine with your loved ones.a07511249ee96efad9b562f78d62cd0f.jpg dried fruits to be grinded 1d63c8d74605e320cd91e2fc93a5eb07.jpg twice a week shake the jar28f5da34c1619486f467e05115d5cd6f.jpg6 weeks laterb704be266c6658e4eb78f4227eb1f519.jpgwater extraction 242118f4a98771f3d5996b098c61202a.jpgsoft after water extractbed964d5ece77fa1170cd2dcf6483bf4.jpgfiltered alcohol2cd3e41285f70858a0a4c1b2786d4dff.jpgdouble extraction evap34117d52934443d75806742af76e672a.jpgsome good info

Edited by DrepsiLocybe, 17 June 2019 - 12:44 AM.

• Skywatcher, Needles and GLP like this

#10 Severian

Severian

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 54 posts

Posted 11 November 2019 - 06:01 PM

Yeah i see how it can get people lost lol. I mainly did it that way beacuse i was reading "mycelium running" and paul mentions how the medicinal compunds need a double extraction (one compont gets extracted by sitting in alchohol and the other compound gets extracted by boiling it into a tea). Ive seen extractions where most people let them soak in alcohol and then boiled those same fruits and make tea that way but imo that seems like it weakens out the tincture since they have been sitting in alcohol for that long....
Ill try to make another extaction once my new batch of reishi is ready and also find a way to make a powdered extraction.. any tips/ideas??

It may seem like sitting in alchohol for that long would weaken the tincture, but if you think about it, the reason you perform a double extraction is to get both the alchohol soluble and water soluble constituents- So for the 6 months that the reishi is sitting in the everclear, the water soluble elements literally have no where to go-  It's just as potent as the way that you went about it, but you get everything out of them instead of half out of each batch.

• Skywatcher likes this

#11 DrepsiLocybe

DrepsiLocybe

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 28 posts

Posted 12 November 2019 - 09:35 PM

so apparently i messed up my labels and got some reishi growing on a monotub (hpoo/ccoir). i am very amazed by how this guys grow pretty much on anything ive used for substrate.
(recycled news papers, hardwood chips, and now hpoo+)
73ace8058ace7794991f63113eff4ef3.jpg
  • Skywatcher likes this

#12 macgyver

macgyver

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 207 posts

Posted 15 November 2019 - 05:05 PM

Noob question, I think this is the next species I want to grow. Is It a long process compared to cubes? I haven't done any real digging yet, but I know for sure this will be my next project.

Those are gorgeous fruits!

Edited by macgyver, 15 November 2019 - 05:07 PM.

#13 DrepsiLocybe

DrepsiLocybe

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 28 posts

Posted 17 November 2019 - 10:28 AM

Noob question, I think this is the next species I want to grow. Is It a long process compared to cubes? I haven't done any real digging yet, but I know for sure this will be my next project.
Those are gorgeous fruits!

not much different for pins, they take longer to develop ( i let mines fan out) and after harvest id say roughly about 4 months until you can get the final product.
  • macgyver likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!