11 replies to this topic

#1 DonShadow

DonShadow

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 257 posts

Posted 02 June 2019 - 03:04 AM

Psilocybe Tampanensis

- Spore print to malt/yeast agar, clean in 1 transfer.
I made no attempt at an isolation, I simply chose the most vigorous leading edge of the 1st plate.
- Grain spawn - 2 : 1 / Ryegrass seed : weak coffee (by volume) + pinch of gypsum. Sterilized 60 mins @ 15PSI.
- Several agar wedges were used to inoculate the ryegrass seed. Jar was then shaken vigorously for 1 minute.
- Grain spawn incubated at 78F, fully colonized in 12 days.
- Bulk substrate was prepared using the following recipe (yields 2 quart-sized wide-mouth jars loosely packed for easy emptying):
  • 140g dry coconut coir
  • 50ml fine used coffee grounds
  • 50ml oat bran
  • 50ml clean sand
  • 12.5ml gypsum
  • 12.5ml calcium carbonate
  • Approx. 750ml reverse osmosis water. Boil half to hydrate coir and add the rest gradually until field capacity is reached.
  • Sterilize 90 mins @ 15PSI
  • (These are all approximate measurements; a little more or less of each is fine)
- 1 : 3 spawn to bulk ratio, inside of two small square PP5 containers lined with trash bag, spawn depth 1.5 inches. Four 1/4-inch holes were drilled in lid and covered with micropore tape for gas exchange. The lid seals over the excess trash bag, which is then easily cut away by running a razorblade along the edge of the lid.
- Incubated at 78F, fully colonized in 10 days
- Cased at 1/4" depth with 10 : 1 : 0.5 = Peat moss : Calcium carbonate : Sand (by volume). Hydrated to field capacity with reverse osmosis water, sterilized 90 minutes at 15PSI. Fill your casing jars only 2/3 full so they may be easily shaken to evenly distribute moisture. This way unused casing may be stored in the refrigerator, while maintaining proper hydration.
- Fruited at 70-75F using this fruiting chamber.
- Light misting (8-10 pumps) twice daily until pins appeared, then misting reduced to once daily until harvest (or more as required when caps appeared dry).
- Spore prints taken on tin foil in front of flow hood inside of upside-down well-sealing plastic shoebox tote. Caps were removed from foil after 24 hours and prints were allowed to dry in front of flow hood for 15 minutes or so.

The following improvements to the referenced fruiting chamber TEK were made for this grow:
  • CPU fan moved from the back of the tote to the center of the lid for more even airflow. Clear packing tape was used to seal the old fan port.
  • Fanning schedule changed to 3 minutes, 4 times daily, spaced 6 hours apart (for entire duration of grow).
  • I no longer bother monitoring humidity, as the chamber effectively keeps it at 95% or above with minimal daily misting.
These mushrooms are very easy to grow, and the yield was not bad for the amount of effort required.

First flush:

Photo 2019-05-16, 1 02 33 PM.jpg
Photo 2019-05-16, 1 02 43 PM.jpg
Photo 2019-05-16, 1 02 51 PM.jpg
Photo 2019-05-16, 1 03 02 PM.jpg

Second flush:

Photo 2019-05-20, 7 01 50 PM.jpg
Photo 2019-05-20, 7 02 19 PM.jpg
Photo 2019-05-20, 7 02 29 PM.jpg
Photo 2019-05-20, 7 03 31 PM.jpg
Photo 2019-05-20, 7 03 39 PM.jpg
Photo 2019-05-20, 7 03 54 PM.jpg

Spore printing:

Photo 2019-05-20, 7 12 41 PM.jpg
Photo 2019-05-21, 10 55 54 PM.jpg

Edited by DonShadow, 02 June 2019 - 09:55 AM.

• elfstone, Tenderfoot, Heirloom and 6 others like this

#2 peacefrog

peacefrog

Peaceful Frog

• 2,201 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 June 2019 - 05:04 AM

Nicely done!

Beautiful flushes there.
  • DonShadow likes this

#3 Mushinist

Mushinist

Mycophage

• Black VIP
  • 155 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 June 2019 - 07:34 AM

Way to nail it Don Shadow, nice job!
  • DonShadow likes this

#4 elfstone

elfstone

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 267 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 June 2019 - 09:24 AM

Beautiful grow. Interesting choices in the bulk substrate. You think the coffee grounds add something they like?
  • DonShadow likes this

#5 Moonless

Moonless

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 32 posts

Posted 02 June 2019 - 10:07 AM

Great job! Was this your first time with said variety? such a great yeild!

Those prints are quite lovely  :biggrin: very cool geometric shapes!

• DonShadow likes this

#6 DonShadow

DonShadow

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 257 posts

Posted 02 June 2019 - 11:41 AM

Thanks folks! It was my first time with this strain, yes. It is obviously very well domesticated, as the mushrooms volunteered themselves without much encouragement. They seem to be genetically very similar to other mexicana strains, but more dense than either the Jalisco or Chicon Nindo strains (though the CN is no slouch!). So far they are the easiest and highest-yielding stone-producer I've grown. I'm looking forward to working with a clone to see how that improves the yield. I haven't sampled them yet, but will do so in the next few days to see how they compare in quality to the two mexicana strains I've sampled.

The substrate is a mish-mash of ideas borrowed from other growers. I've experimented with several different substrates for mexicana, including various combinations of whole grains and compost-based substrates, but at the end of the day, the coir based substrate with added coffee grounds has always yielded the best results. It's the same substrate I use for cubensis, and it works wonders for that species. I like it because of its ease of preparation, and its seeming resilience against contamination. I've got a tray of Ps. semperviva going on the same substrate, I'm really curious to see if it will take to it. It colonized very aggressively as is normal for that species. Fingers crossed for fruits!

Edited by DonShadow, 02 June 2019 - 11:45 AM.

• Tenderfoot, Mushinist and ElPirana like this

#7 DonShadow

DonShadow

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 257 posts

Posted 05 June 2019 - 07:10 AM

Third flush coming up... in a moment of complete numbskullery I accidentally doused this tray with alcohol instead of water, to the absolute saturation point! But surprise! These shrooms can hold their liquor! I ate 3g last night, whew! The best.

IMG_3793.JPG
  • Skywatcher, Heirloom and ElPirana like this

#8 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Twilight Walker

• 6,560 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 June 2019 - 09:10 AM

in a moment of complete numbskullery I accidentally doused this tray with alcohol instead of water, to the absolute saturation point! But surprise! These shrooms can hold their liquor! I ate 3g last night, whew! The best.
&&0){for(var>)throw>

Perhaps you shouldn't smoke such a big fatty prior to tub maintenance?  :tongue:

They are looking great !!!

• DonShadow and Moonless like this

#9 Moonless

Moonless

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 32 posts

Posted 05 June 2019 - 09:12 AM

My gosh DonShadow glad everything turned out alright!! These shrooms sure are hardy. The other day I accidentally misted with anti-bacterial countertop spray hahaha and everything turned outfine too.

Really happy you've gotten so many flushes so far. Keep up the good work! How are these ones in comparison to other Mexican varieties and also to cubes?

• DonShadow likes this

#10 DonShadow

DonShadow

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 257 posts

Posted 05 June 2019 - 02:13 PM

Yes it's quite fortunate that the mushrooms compensate for our frequent ineptitude :)

These were very potent, on par with other Mexican varieties for sure. They were similarly clean and clear like the Jalisco and Chicon Nindo strains, but lacked the spirit of Mexico that I've found to be very apparent with the species endemic to the region. I didn't feel much, if any discomfort in the body. It's hard to compare to cubensis because I've noticed so much variability with that species. I've had some great strains of cubensis, and some not so great. I've recently had a couple of very positive experiences with a cube strain from the island of Martinique, and I would rate it as being similar or equal in quality to these more petite species, but this may be more a matter of where one is at spiritually/psychologically/circumstantially at the time. The tampanesis seemed to be quite neutral in spirit, and lead me directly to an expansive dimension that is becoming more and more familiar and comfortable as I temper my reactions to what I see there. It feels like immense love and wholeness, like being home.

Edited by DonShadow, 05 June 2019 - 02:25 PM.

• Heirloom , ElPirana, PasF and 1 other like this

#11 DonShadow

DonShadow

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 257 posts

Posted 07 June 2019 - 01:52 AM

Here's the third flush from the tray I soaked in alcohol, just before harvest. The other tray is recovering from a soak, and showing many hyphal knots. I've noticed that this strain tends to form primordia on the surface of the casing when it's still very wet, whereas other Mexicana strains tend to form knots below the casing as it dries out.

IMG_3811.JPG
IMG_3812.JPG
  • ElPirana likes this

#12 WalkingCatfish

WalkingCatfish

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 166 posts

Posted 07 June 2019 - 06:01 AM

Great grow, and thanks for describing your process so well. The next time I grow these, I'll follow your method.

• DonShadow likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!