• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Misfit

Misfit

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 38 posts

Posted 02 June 2019 - 06:24 PM

I have been reading through archives and seen a bunch of different set ups. I was contemplating doing a partially automated chamber but wanted more info or feedback first. I was intrigued by the “shadow box” but someone mentioned their Martha worked well enough that they never bothered building the “shadow box”.
Can anyone possible provide more feedback or share their personal opinions on the two?

#2 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 02 June 2019 - 07:10 PM

Many people use marthas, I have planned to but never followed through, other members here use them with success though.

#3 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 6,377 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 June 2019 - 08:28 PM

I used a martha when I first started, I quickly learned it's more hassle than it's worth.. I can do better using dub tubs or the old tote, with the right hole placement and mist once a day. don't even have to fan so long as there is airflow in the space they are at.

• roc, crazy1, coorsmikey and 1 other like this

#4 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,256 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 June 2019 - 08:36 PM

I like the idea of a Martha, but I've become partial to set and forget dub tubs.
Plus you kind of need to keep Martha full to justify it. Sometimes I only have a couple small tubs.
  • wharfrat likes this

#5 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 6,017 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 June 2019 - 08:51 PM

I think every neophyte has to go through the "Mad scientist" fancy set ups before they can truly understand that none of the fancy stuff is necessary. I give up on trying to tell folks that simple is better. Build a SGFC and a Martha to get it out of your system. You don't see a lot of teks and videos for simple cuz there is nothing to write about lol. Nothing to dial in and nothing to fix. Most of all, you don't need to ask how to fix a simple set up.

• roc, phlegmbae, crazy1 and 1 other like this

#6 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,256 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 June 2019 - 08:59 PM

I still kinda might have to do a Martha. Cause the pics are so cool. All my pics are starting to look just alike. I need to dubtub some pottery or something.
  • wharfrat likes this

#7 Misfit

Misfit

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 38 posts

Posted 02 June 2019 - 09:13 PM

I am just getting into the hobby so I’m sure you guys can relate to the obsession. I am about to run my first batch with the simple tub set up. I just wanted to more experienced point of views.
Thanks for all you guys do.
  • Heirloom and wharfrat like this

#8 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 6,377 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 June 2019 - 09:44 PM

don't get me wrong though, a nicley set up martha will do a great job. just takes a lot of dialing in. so long as you have the patience for the initial trial and error. Follow a good looking tek, and then adjust it to your settings. 

• crazy1 and Misfit like this

#9 Misfit

Misfit

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 38 posts

Posted 02 June 2019 - 09:51 PM

Gonna stick with the simple tub set up for now at least. We’ll see how long this lasts
  • roc and wharfrat like this

#10 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,256 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 June 2019 - 09:53 PM

Oh I relate. I probably won't get rid of the Martha urge till I build one and get tired of it, or not. Some people love them. Just isn't a requirement. If I were giving advice I say start simple and work up. A Martha will be an extra investment and more tweaking, which is a lot easier if you already know what you're tweaking for.

A Martha should be full of trays that are all canopies. If not, the grower needs to learn something that automation won't fix, know what I mean?
  • crazy1, wharfrat and Misfit like this

#11 Misfit

Misfit

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 38 posts

Posted 02 June 2019 - 10:13 PM

Yea I totally get what you’re saying. Need the basics down first. Having worked in an engineering field that dealt with automation for some time, I feel like it makes sense to try and automate at least a little bit. I sent a personal message to someone who posted an automated chamber TEK. I may end up going that direction eventually. I haven’t even birthed my first 2 sets of jars yet. Trying to not get ahead of myself.
  • wharfrat likes this

#12 roc

roc

Forum International Moderator

• 7,524 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 June 2019 - 08:32 AM

My Martha from many years past in the archives. Explore the whole thread and see the build from start to finish.

I loved it but eventually abandoned it.

Way to many negatives and a high maintenance setup.

Supposed to be automatic but with a daily check I was able to overcome the shortcomings.

My advice is to not go there.

• crazy1, wharfrat and Misfit like this

#13 Misfit

Misfit

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 38 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 08:59 AM

Yea, I’m already getting that impression. Thanks for you thoughts.
  • roc likes this

#14 mushit

mushit

Shit Lover

• OG VIP
  • 2,138 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 June 2019 - 05:12 PM

I agree.

I started doing a Martha, and as my dub tubs kept growing I lost interest.  Never did get it up and running.

Too lazy.  LOL

• roc, Heirloom , wharfrat and 1 other like this

#15 Heirloom

Heirloom

Quantum Particle

• OG VIP
  • 4,621 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 June 2019 - 09:56 PM

Monaco315 hi, I got a couple of Martha's sitting unused , well i store junk on them. they would be handy for medium to large psychedelic community or for anyone who grows a lot of edibles & medical fungi. after many styles  lots of tubs/totes with holes in them I found out a tote with no holes  just a lid was perfect for me... I tripped so much  I don't even grow currently or even want to trip. if you give it a few months to think on it you might find out it was just an impulse

stick around Monaco315 this time next year you could be celebrating a year here with a bunch of new friends.that you could never meet where you live ( certianly not where I live)

#16 Misfit

Misfit

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 38 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 10:33 PM

Thanks for the insight. I have come to terms with the fact that I am going to just keep it simple. Coming back to the hobby after a 10 year break, and I was barely a novice helper at that time. Going through the process for the first time on my own. Trying to not get ahead of myself.

#17 Misfit

Misfit

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 38 posts

Posted 06 June 2019 - 09:50 AM

The only difference between a regular tub and a SGFC is the amount of maintenance right? I dont foresee an issue with misting and fanning. So far as I can tell that is the only difference between the two.

#18 RickG

RickG

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 12 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 07:05 PM

I just jumped on the Martha bandwagon. Seems perfect for my situation. A lot easier to keep a moderately steady temp and humidity level. I keep my house pretty cool, so this should help. a2b3cd70f99e95559f148a9b72fb3a5b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

#19 Misfit

Misfit

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 38 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 11:00 PM

Nice man. Hope you get it dialed in

#20 crazy1

crazy1

Celestial Traveler

• VIP
  • 1,866 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 06:34 AM

Welcome to Topia and hope to see your success here!!

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!