• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 NewMycoDisciple

NewMycoDisciple

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 37 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 08:19 PM

So I've been reading up and having a hard time choosing how to move forward. I like the pf idea but honestly the jars are sorta expensive if I'm just going to be moving into a higher volume method that money could be better used to set up the long term grow. Im on a fixed income so I have to be particular about how I spend my money. I was thinking about mycobags. I got the silicon already from other projects and it seems simple. Are they reusable? Is my volume limited by the mycobag or can I transfer it into like some sort of larger chamber to encourage more growth. Are there training techniques like with cannabis to increase yields?

Say I wanted to have 6 different strains on hand in quantities for heavy daily use, which method should I pursue to maximize my yields, potency and cost? Just looking for a little direction. Links are great too. Is there a thread somewhere breaking down the strains by their type of high and cultivation needs etc.

I don't have a pressure cooker but I do have a rice cooker I might could steam in? I saw some other methods that seem relatively low tech but still produced easy results.

I'm not asking for someone to hold my hand and walk me through shit, but I'm not gonna turn down any help that comes my way. Great community here, it's a pleasure
  • wharfrat likes this

#2 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,256 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 June 2019 - 10:02 PM

Get a pressure cooker. Or use pf tek to make brf cakes. You can steam brf cakes, takes an hour of steaming. You really can't plan on bulk quantity without a pressure cooker.
  • wharfrat and NewMycoDisciple like this

#3 joeya

joeya

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 162 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 10:22 PM

"Say I wanted to have 6 different strains on hand in quantities for heavy daily use, which method should I pursue to maximize my yields, potency and cost? Just looking for a little direction. Links are great too. Is there a thread somewhere breaking down the strains by their type of high and cultivation needs etc."

Daily use is really not useful for most people. It's generally found that every three days for microdosing is the maximum, and for actually feeling noticeable effects, most people don't do more than once every two weeks or so. There was a thread, not sure if here or on shroomery, where someone tried to trip every day, and just couldn't. Brain chemistry gets in the way of it!

Edited by wharfrat, 04 June 2019 - 11:03 PM.
fixed quote :)

• NewMycoDisciple likes this

#4 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 6,377 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 June 2019 - 11:01 PM

So I've been reading up and having a hard time choosing how to move forward. I like the pf idea but honestly the jars are sorta expensive if I'm just going to be moving into a higher volume method that money could be better used to set up the long term grow. Im on a fixed income so I have to be particular about how I spend my money. I was thinking about mycobags. I got the silicon already from other projects and it seems simple. Are they reusable? Is my volume limited by the mycobag or can I transfer it into like some sort of larger chamber to encourage more growth. Are there training techniques like with cannabis to increase yields?

Say I wanted to have 6 different strains on hand in quantities for heavy daily use, which method should I pursue to maximize my yields, potency and cost? Just looking for a little direction. Links are great too. Is there a thread somewhere breaking down the strains by their type of high and cultivation needs etc.

I don't have a pressure cooker but I do have a rice cooker I might could steam in? I saw some other methods that seem relatively low tech but still produced easy results.

I'm not asking for someone to hold my hand and walk me through shit, but I'm not gonna turn down any help that comes my way. Great community here, it's a pleasure

you will be pretty limited without a pressure cooker. The pf tek was designed as a workaround to pressure cooking. you can use plastics that will stand boiling water and use the pf tek that way, instead of jars. can probably find those at the dollar store. as far as strains of Ps cubensis goes, they are pretty much all the same, there are some exceptions, but not many. now if you wanna veer off in the exotics you will find some differences but that is a whole nother ballgame. Best tek for major shroomage, would be large bulk tubs and manure/coir mix. 

• HrVanker and NewMycoDisciple like this

#5 NewMycoDisciple

NewMycoDisciple

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 37 posts

Posted 05 June 2019 - 01:43 AM

Get a pressure cooker. Or use pf tek to make brf cakes. You can steam brf cakes, takes an hour of steaming. You really can't plan on bulk quantity without a pressure cooker.

I understand. I've soaked up so much information in the short time since I posted this I know have a better understanding of what is necessary. I'm talking 'bulk' for personal uses tho. I saw this one tek where you steam it once a day for 3 days and its supposedly just as good if not better but my question to follow that is, is that brf cakes only?

Daily use is really not useful for most people. It's generally found that every three days for microdosing is the maximum, and for actually feeling noticeable effects, most people don't do more than once every two weeks or so. There was a thread, not sure if here or on shroomery, where someone tried to trip every day, and just couldn't. Brain chemistry gets in the way of it!

I understand, I found and read the thread and totally get your point, thanks.

you will be pretty limited without a pressure cooker. The pf tek was designed as a workaround to pressure cooking. you can use plastics that will stand boiling water and use the pf tek that way, instead of jars. can probably find those at the dollar store. as far as strains of Ps cubensis goes, they are pretty much all the same, there are some exceptions, but not many. now if you wanna veer off in the exotics you will find some differences but that is a whole nother ballgame. Best tek for major shroomage, would be large bulk tubs and manure/coir mix.

Thanks man, I'll check out the bulk tub manure teks and see what will work best for me

#6 joeya

joeya

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 162 posts

Posted 05 June 2019 - 05:27 AM

That three day progressive pasteurization process you found is still not as good as a pressure cooker. The thinking is that three days is enough time for any spores or cysts which do survive the heating will have enough time to begin to grow and be killed off in the second and third heatings. This is true for most, but not all contaminating spores. Pressure cookers are pretty short money on craigslist, yards sales, and flea marts. They are more than worth the cost!

#7 crazy1

crazy1

Celestial Traveler

• VIP
  • 1,866 posts

Posted 05 June 2019 - 06:10 AM

If you choose to go with the plastic containers, make sure they are PP5. They will have a number 5 in the triangle on the bottom of the container. These will hold up to the steam or pressure cooking. 

And in all honesty, like's been said, get a PC and then progress forward from there. The headaches it will prevent are worth every penny you pay for it

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!