• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 cashcardi

cashcardi

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 June 2019 - 12:11 AM

Hey guys, I'm new to mushroom cultivation and had a question regarding the PF Tek. I currently don't have a pressure cooker and instead opted for pre sterilized rye berry bags instead. Can I use the inoculated material as a direct substitute for the cake that would traditionally be used in the PF Tek? 

#2 roc

roc

Forum International Moderator

• 7,524 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 June 2019 - 07:02 AM

The PF Tek and grain spawn in a bag are not the same.

Separate the two from your thought process.

With the rye spawn you have a couple of choices...

Spawn to a substrate in a dub tub to keep it simple.

Grow out the strain directly from the rye if you want something closer to a cake grow.

Welcome to 'topia!

#3 cashcardi

cashcardi

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 June 2019 - 02:50 PM

The PF Tek and grain spawn in a bag are not the same.

Separate the two from your thought process.

With the rye spawn you have a couple of choices...

Spawn to a substrate in a dub tub to keep it simple.

Grow out the strain directly from the rye if you want something closer to a cake grow.

Welcome to 'topia!

Would I simply open up the top of the bag once everything is inoculated? Sorry if these are stupid questions

#4 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 6,534 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 June 2019 - 04:01 PM

You must first allow all of the grain in the bag to become colonized.

Then, you can open the top and place the colonized substrate into a terrerium or fruiting chamber to maintain humidity and fresh air exchange for fruiting. The fungi will fruit directly from the colonized rye grains without any further transfer. 

This is your best option since you are so new to the hobby. 

From reading your posts I presume two things:

You started with sterilized grain in a sealed bag from a supplier 

It has been inoculated through a self-sealing injection port with a clean syringe using clean spore solution. 

Given those two things, you have the recipe for a successful grow. Wait for complete colonization. The grains will be tenaciously stuck together in a large mass. Wait for pin formation prior to opening the bag. 

• roc likes this

#5 cashcardi

cashcardi

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 June 2019 - 12:10 AM

You must first allow all of the grain in the bag to become colonized.

Then, you can open the top and place the colonized substrate into a terrerium or fruiting chamber to maintain humidity and fresh air exchange for fruiting. The fungi will fruit directly from the colonized rye grains without any further transfer. 

This is your best option since you are so new to the hobby. 

From reading your posts I presume two things:

You started with sterilized grain in a sealed bag from a supplier 

It has been inoculated through a self-sealing injection port with a clean syringe using clean spore solution. 

Given those two things, you have the recipe for a successful grow. Wait for complete colonization. The grains will be tenaciously stuck together in a large mass. Wait for pin formation prior to opening the bag. 

You're exactly right on both points. Thanks so much for the guidance on this, I would obviously prefer not to fuck things up. Also, is it okay if while inoculating it gets a little bit of light, just to check on how it's progressing?

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!