• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 zatoichi

zatoichi

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 June 2019 - 02:38 AM

I had mastered growing cakes in shotgun fruiting chambers, and stopped about 10 years ago. I forget exactly how I was doing it and have a few questions -

1. Can wide mouth pint jars be used, or is half pint optimum?

2. Any suggestion on recipe? Have seen some people add coffee, oyster shells, gypsum, etc..

3. I thought I was using WBS, but read that does not work, unless ground (or maybe run through blender). Not a big deal, I bought brown rice flour and vermiculite today. 

4. Do the cakes need to be cased with verm?? I do not recall doing that.

5. Is it easy to get a second flush from them? I just threw them out after one flush.

6. Any special concerns for PE?

I have some PE liquid culture sitting around for about a month, and hoping still good.

#2 crazy1

crazy1

Celestial Traveler

• VIP
  • 1,998 posts

Posted 05 June 2019 - 06:35 AM

I had mastered growing cakes in shotgun fruiting chambers, and stopped about 10 years ago. I forget exactly how I was doing it and have a few questions -

1. Can wide mouth pint jars be used, or is half pint optimum?

1/2 pints with wide mouths are optimum

2. Any suggestion on recipe? Have seen some people add coffee, oyster shells, gypsum, etc..

HERE or HERE

3. I thought I was using WBS, but read that does not work, unless ground (or maybe run through blender). Not a big deal, I bought brown rice flour and vermiculite today. 

Either will work

4. Do the cakes need to be cased with verm?? I do not recall doing that.

Yes

5. Is it easy to get a second flush from them? I just threw them out after one flush.

You can get 3 to 4 flushes out of each cake. Refrigerate and then dunk

6. Any special concerns for PE?

Can be challenging at times, but a good strain. Most don't begin or jump back in after a long hiatus with that strain though.

I have some PE liquid culture sitting around for about a month, and hoping still good.

Best of luck and I hope this helps you out

Edited by crazy1, 05 June 2019 - 06:36 AM.

• roc and zatoichi like this

#3 zatoichi

zatoichi

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 June 2019 - 06:59 AM

Thank You!!!!

I will try the first tek first, and order for the second. I saw the second one searching around, and seems like a perfected tek.

What would you suggest for easy, strong, good producer?

I used to have a lot of problems at first, until went crazy with sterility. Spraying whole area with fungicide every day.

If you recommend other method, please let me know. I have dozens of cat litter trays also. About a dozen large shotgun fruiting chambers.

Thanks Again!!

#4 zatoichi

zatoichi

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 June 2019 - 07:04 AM

Is the reason for refrigeration of the cakes between flushes to help make it flush again and/or kill contaminates?

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!